Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newish jeep owner and new Rubicon

Well, the title is kinda self explanatory. I'm new to the whole Jeep world, but I've built a couple offroad trucks/jeeps in my short life time of 25 years. Bought this rubicon when I was home on leave (stationed at ft. Irwin, Ca) back in NC and drove it to California. Will be slowly building a mild rubicon, I don't plan on going bigger than 35s. Went on my first wheeling trip up in Cleghorn and had a blast. Here are a couple pics from that run that I've taken a liking to.

I'm really happy with the jeep so far, it has already gone well past my expectations, but I am surprised you can rub the swaybar with stock wheels and tires on stock suspension on a rubicon. I think I might have a good plan as far as my suspension goes. Plan on just a stock mod 2.5 RK lift and some long travel bilsten shocks and front sway bar disconnects for the time being. I'll add the beefy rear track bar, and x-factor upper and lower arms later on down the road. I do want to experiment with the rear swaybar and using disconnects on it. After I get my tax return I do plan on buying some 15x8 steelies and some 35x12.50 procomp extreme MTs. I know most people don't run them but the siping in the tread looks like it should do good on the rocks out here in California.
    While I'm stationed on the west coast I do want to go wheeling on the Rubicon, Hammers, Hungry Valley, Moab, and Big Bear. Most those places I read about all through middle school/highschool and now I'm so stoked I've got a very capable stock rig that can handle those trails somewhat. So can't wait to take some flex pics on the steps at Hungry Valley lol.
    I've been slowly building an 87 K5 back home that is now getting a heart transplant of a 5.3, but is backed up by a 465/twin sticked 205/4.10 geared, locked, disc swapped 3/4 tons. Its got the basic 52/56 spring swap and shackle flip in the rear. Its rolling around on 33s right now but will be rocking 37s till I decide to build a 60 for it.
    I was a mechanic at a chevy dealership for a year and then at a ford dealership for 5 years back home before joining the military. So, if I have a weekend off and you need a hand in SoCal just spend me a PM and I'll assist as much as I can. I did heavy line work, IE rebuilt rearends, tcases, manual transmissions, and engine work so I know my way around stuff fairly well.

Welcome to MJR. Thats a sweet looking Rubi ya got there, looks like ya got bit by the Jeep bug in a good way. :beer:
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Welcome to MJR. Cleghorn is a good flexy trail. Fun to watch yur axles going in all directions. Run this weekend at Cougar butte, come on out. Kevin.

Comment

Welcome to MJR! You won't be sad you stopped by. Perhaps we'll get to meet you in a week or so when we come out to Big Bear and Cougar Buttes.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Welcome to MJR! Don't be in a big rush to make the mods. Wheel it awhile and you'll soon figure out the "right" mods for your Jeep! Your platform is a Rubicon, so you're way ahead of the game!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Welcome to MJR. I 2nd Rogers suggestion. The more you wheel it stock, the more you'll learn what it, really, needs. That said. I started with a stock Rubi. Height, flex and bigger tires, you can't go wrong. Half the fun of jeep'n, is building. See ya on the trail.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
            X