Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

always wanted an old CJ, finally getting one! CJ2a in a few weeks :)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• always wanted an old CJ, finally getting one! CJ2a in a few weeks :)

I've always loved these old jeeps, the MB and the CJ2/3 jeeps. I've not been actively looking to purchase one, but I always passively check craigslist every month or so just to see what's out there. Most I've come across need a fair amount of work to make them road worthy, or they are in real nice condition but to much money, or already modified and hacked up. But I stumbled across this one which has had a fair amount of rebuilding done to it already, but not hacked up and modified alot. Seems to truly be "turn key" ready to go for a price I can live with. And with a nice tax return coming this year, I can afford to pick up this, AND get the under skids on my TJ I test drove it this morning, and am in the process of procuring it (owner is holding it for me with a down payment, until my tax refund arrives, why is it taking so long!! haha!).

In any case, It's already been converted to 12 volt, and a few minor upgrades here and there, but mostly it's been rebuilt with factory-spec parts, including new springs, shocks, tires and work done on the motor, transmission and transfer case, and a little bit of rust repair in the floorboards. Not a museum piece, but I think it will make a great driver with little/no work to make it road worthy. I will probably leave it as it is for a while, accept for upgrading the brakes, and possibly throw in an overdrive gear so that it can go a bit faster than 40mph And will probably buy or make some sort of bikini top for it and pop up some tow hooks front and rear, cause I'm sure on the trails this thing will need them, haha!

It's quite fun to drive, kinda feels like I'm in a big go-cart! Shifting, steering, clutch and everything feel quite firm and tight, nothing really sloppy at all. Starts right up and runs nice. This just may become my daily driver during the spring, summer and fall seasons

Last edited by daniel_buck; 03-31-12, 09:27 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Congrats thats a great score. They are a kick to drive. I had a 1943 Ford GPW in about the same condition for quite a few years. It had a 90 hp, 151 ci 4 popper out of a Nova, and 11" brakes.

Steve
    All slow and no show

Comment

11" brakes, were they still drum brakes? Or were you able to fit disc brakes in there?
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Daniel it looks to in pretty good shape, nice score. I bet you will enjoy the heck out of it

Comment

Congrats, what a great jeep. Stockish classics are very cool.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Daniel it looks to in pretty good shape, nice score. I bet you will enjoy the heck out of it
            I think I'm going to enjoy it alot! As much as I like driving my TJ around with no doors or side/rear windows, for some reason the little CJ seems more fun! Maybe because it's alot more simplistic, I don't know.

Comment

That screams cool! Congratulations!
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                I think I'm going to enjoy it alot! As much as I like driving my TJ around with no doors or side/rear windows, for some reason the little CJ seems more fun! Maybe because it's alot more simplistic, I don't know.
                My cousins had 2 of these old things, I built one out of a few pallets of parts for them
                Here we are in the Ardenes in Belgium with the one I built

Comment

That thing looks sweet! I can already see it with 44" IROKs

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    My cousins had 2 of these old things, I built one out of a few pallets of parts for them
                    Here we are in the Ardenes in Belgium with the one I built

Neet buy daniel! Thats a cool old pic art. Belguim aye? I think my ancestors are from there. Is it true those jeeps came in a crate or you could buy them delivered in a crate as surplus back in the day. I wonder if my 16 yo kid would like to drive that to school everyday lol

Comment

Uncle of mine had a repair/fab shop, his oldest son worked for him and liked Jeeps So my uncle and him started buying up army surplus parts and from what parts he had left from WW2 Jeeps he had scrapped just after WW2 they ended up with enough parts to built a total of 3 original ww2 Jeeps. His son built the first, I built the second one and later on they managed to scrounge enough parts in their shop to have a friend built a third one for him self

Comment

Awesome! I want a ride!!!
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Going through the Ardenes in an MB - do tell!
                          God forgives, rocks don't
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

Back in time this was allowed was a get together of a Dutch club that collects WW2 vehicles called Keep Them Rolling.
                            One of my cousins was a member of that Before that I never knew you could fit a MB Willys inside of a Mercedes 508 van.
                            We had one Jeep inside and the other on a trailer behind it

Comment

Sweet! I hope you keep it stock! Maybe add some military markings?
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X