Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Been trolling around here for a bit, finally decided I should go ahead and sign up.
    Still relatively new to the whole jeeping thing (don't really have the time or money to get out as much as I'd like), so hoping to to maybe find some easier-moderate runs to get in on to help build my experience base so that as time and money allows me to build my rig up, I can test it out on more challenging trails.

Welcome to MJR! Your stock jeep is a very capable off-road rig right off the lot! You might want to make a run up to Santiago Peak via Silverado canyon. It's a nice trail and on a clear day, you can see forever. I think you can still go all the way over to the Ortega Hwy. Keep checking, there's always runs posted here on the forum.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for the trail tip! Not quite stock, had a 3" lift on it when I got it. Just now getting on a bunch of used body pieces I picked up cheap: massively over-sized stinger bumper w/ D-rings, tube fenders (front and rear) and rock sliders. Looks a little silly right now, with just the 31" tires, 'cause I have such a ridiculous amount of clearance: at full flex, the bump stops are squished with a full 2 inches left before the tire hits the fender... I'll go to 33's as soon as these tires are shot. =p
      (Once I finish getting everything bolted on, I'll get a picture to use as an avatar)

Gonna try to head out to Santiago Peak tomorrow, maybe hit up the Wildomar OHV park too if time allows... If you guys see me out there, wave! (I've got the gray/tannish topless TJ with the huge stinger and green tube fenders!)
      Last edited by EJS; 07-29-11, 06:30 PM.

Comment

[COLOR="sienna"]Welcome aboard! It's always great when people come out of the shadows around here. So, what is your rig capable of right now? Just my two cents, but before you put lots of cash into it, answer that first. It will most likely suprise you. And yes... pictures are needed!! [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Not really sure what my jeep can do... would rather wait to push the limits until I have some other people I'm out with that can advise/spot or help in the event of a problem. I've got some fairly decent articulation, but only a 3" lift with 31" tires, and without lockers, my traction tends to be fairly limited. Threw a couple pictures in the before/after thread, need to get some better ones though!
          Went out to Wildomar earlier today, and only found 1 spot that I even needed 4wd for, and couldn't even tackle it, 'cause the girlfriend wasn't feeling well, and couldn't help spot. Will have to give it a shot next time!

Comment

Welcome to MJR. Prob a good thing that you didn't try anything to "hard". No offense to your GF but an inexperienced spotter can get you into trouble just as fast as no spotter. But then again you may have just driven right thru. Wheel'n is like surfing. Never go without a buddy.

If any one makes a run up to Holcolm, in Big Bear. You should go. It'll be a great challenge for you and your Jeep, but nothing so bad that a strap couldn't get you thru.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Just saw the post from someone who went through Holocomb yesterday, looks like great fun... I'll try to find a day I'm free some time in the next couple weeks and see if anyone else can go!

As for that tough spot out at Wildomar, I have little doubt that I could do it without any trouble (I've done worse before)... just had to leave early 'cause the g/f was feeling ill. Gonna make a point of going back and plowing through it just to make sure though.

Comment

Welcome to MJR.
                It's a great forum, and you will have plenty of trail runs to choose from. They are constantly being posted.

Scott

Comment

I don't think your Jeep is quite ready for Holcomb! It's rated a Black Diamond trail the most diffucult. Forest Service says at least one locker is needed.
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    I don't think your Jeep is quite ready for Holcomb! It's rated a Black Diamond trail the most diffucult. Forest Service says at least one locker is needed.
                    I did Holcolm 2 weeks ago. He can do it. He may need a little help in a couple spots. I'd say it's one of the easiest B/D rated trails I've ever done. I never had to turn my lockers on. As long as he goes with someone capable and will to help him out, He'll have a great time.
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Roger, I'm completely open and have run Holcomb quite a few times. A little skillful driving (and a hell of a lot of flex) will go a long way, even without lockers!
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Well, no way of knowing for sure until I give it a shot! As long as I've got someone else around to back me up in the event of trouble, I'm willing to try just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          Roger, I'm completely open and have run Holcomb quite a few times. A little skillful driving (and a hell of a lot of flex) will go a long way, even without lockers!
                          Okay Mat! I humbly concede to your point of view!
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

EJS... Welcome to the site. I like your attitude about going out and giving it a shot as long as you have back up... That mindset sounds rather familiar to me. I'll say this, my YJ on 2" shackle lift has went more places than most folks ever thought it could, and way more places than I would have thought it could. You have a TJ with a real lift and better tires... Just like what was said earlier, some skill full driving and you'll be able to tackle a lot. I used Main Divide Road (Santiago Peak that Roger spoke of) as a good training ground. The views are awesome indeed.
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Tried to take Main Divide last weekend, and they had the North half closed... so ended up just messing around at Wildomar for a bit. Gonna try again this Sunday, most likely, though will have to wait to see how things go.

Comment

Working...
                              X