Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb w/1973 CJ5

Cool site to wander into - thought I would say Hi!

My rockin jeep is a 1973 CJ5 w/258 I6, 4 speed, Warn (remote coming tomorrow). Hoping to get to the shop this week and do a deep dive into what needs to be done to make it 100%.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_0263.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_0262.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_0261.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_0260.jpg

Welcome to MJR.Looks like you got good project to play with.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Welcome to the site - your jeep rocks
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Welcome. I had a '79 (I think) CJ5 in school. I had a blast with it and I guess the Jeep bug never left me as ten years later I bought my YJ I have now. Those are great vehicles and pretty interesting to work on with all the AMC stuff. Welcome aboard, you'll have a great time wheelin with these folks.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

fixed it for you. Nice Jeep. Welcome to MJR.

Originally posted by Majornerd View Post
          Cool site to wander into - thought I would say Hi!

My rockin jeep is a 1973 CJ5 w/258 I6, 4 speed, Warn (remote coming tomorrow). Hoping to get to the shop this week and do a deep dive into what needs to be done to make it 100%.

Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Looks like a nice platform to start with. Welcome to MJR.
            Check out .

Comment

Welcome to MJR. You stumbled into the best Jeepin' website on the planet.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

welcome to the site
                Tony
                1A Auto
                CALL ME DIRECT 866-403-3393
                1A Auto Parts Install Videos|1A Aauto Blog

Comment

Welcome Aboard!
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Welcome to MJR. The older jeeps are the fun ones to work on. Nice Jeep
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I was hoping to make it to the run this weekend, but looks like some surgery will be necessary. I am meeting with the welder on Saturday and then on Sunday a complete fluid replacement will begin.

Is there a site / document that you all can refer me to to help identify the axles / trans / carb / etc that I have installed? The PO said that the jeep had posi & locking rear and locking front however the evidence from holy jim says otherwise.

Other than the locker issue I am really happy with the jeep. For details:

258ci I6
                      4 speed manual
                      warn locking hubs
                      no power steering
                      no power brakes
                      oba - electric from a caddilac
                      warn xd9000i winch
                      honda accord seats (PO was 5'6", I am 6'2" - guess how they fit me.....)
                      sliders / steps
                      harness
                      soft top & bikini top
                      full roll cage

couple of unique parts:
                      1. hydraulic brake lock - locks the brakes so you can get out and check your terrible position or last mistake. Also works great to prevent theft - even a picker would be screwed.
                      2. off road light attachment. Light is on a fiberglass rod and has a quick detach made from an air compressor fitting for quick disconnect and storage.

The rear of the vehicle has a custom tire holder that folds down instead of to the side to provide a step for accessing the cooler on the rear shelf without taking it down.

On another note - does anyone know what the top speed of said CJ5 should be - I realize that is impossible to answer without knowing gear ratios - so how about the RPM red line? It seems to sit at 3000 rpm, according to the installed (3rd party) tach, at 68mph (GPS Speed verified).

At 55-60 I have a wicked front end shake that I hope to take care of soon. Any tips?

Also - the CB and radio seem to have issues. I plan on making a custom roll cage console for the CB and flip down screen. The screen will have a rear view camera - I hate not being able to see behind myself when backing up. Might also be nice to have one low and in front to see my approach angle offroad. Anyone aware of a similar installation?

I realize this is a long thread - I appreciate any help that you are willing to give.

Comment

As to the shaking front end I would check the balance on the tires, all 4. with such a short wheel base even the rear tires can affect the front. Check the steering stabilizer on the front. This is a shock absorber attached to the front axle and the tie bar. The tie bar connects the two tires together. If that doesn't fix your shake then you may have to go in deeper on the front end.
                        I had a 72 CJ-5 with the V-6, 258ci, dana 44 rear axle with posi, 3.73. 3 speed tranny with overdrive. Didn't know how it worked but if the hubs on the front were not engaged, and you pulled it into 4 wd, and the rear was spinning the front axle would engage to get you out of trouble. Saved my bacon in a muddy field once. However, when 4 wheeling always engage your front hubs so when climbing or going down a hill the front axle will help hold you back, Kevin.

Comment

Thanks Kevin, I will have to check out the balance - thinking about new tires on the jeep. Have to measure the spacing....

I never put the jeep into four wheel without engaging the hubs - I was told this is a no-no.

I have to say - apartment living sucks for a DIY'er - I have a garage, but the association controls the electric - so no welder or decent air compressor. I guess I will have to do a york OAB setup and an onboard welder - darn....

Comment

Working...
                          X