• Show
Clear All

• need some advice from some jeepers about this yj

hey!
    i am looking at this yj today(in about two hours),
    thinking about getting it,
    how does it look in your opinion?
    (i miss my previous yj!)

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Other then the square head lights it looks fine. JK

Kind of hard to appraise a Jeep by one photo and not looking at the mechanical portions of it. I’m assuming that picture was taken at a carwash and the oil stains are not from the Jeep. What’s your plans for it?
    Check out .

Comment

Looks ok in the picture. If you give us some details maybe we can tell you if its an ok deal. Remember if you don't like that hard top and doors. The doors are worth $600 and so Is the top. I assume you don't want those since you are getting rid of an XJ for this one. Looks like it has the family bar in the back so that means it its fuel injected. Hopefully it is a 4.0, and with all that weight in top and doors I would hope it is.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Don't buy it if it's a 4 cyl. There's plenty of 6's out there.

I will admit that it looks like it's in good shape with a bit of a lift & 31x9.50 A/T's? What's the asking price?
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

ay! about those square headlights!
          we plan on converting it into a yj-7 (cj front end and stuff)

funny you say that, it is a 4 cyl with 15,000 miles.
          my last yj was a 4 cyl, but then again-it had a soft top and soft doors..and you are right hard top and doors are heavy on a 4 cyl..

i'm mainly looking for this guy to be a offroad project only, with little to no street driving.
          so 4 cyl is okay for me on trails since the low end torque makes up for it while in 4wd.

well, thanks, i know its hard to appraise a jeep from just one pic, but that is all i have for now!

i will let you know the outcome!
          thank you guys! you rock
          It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Comment

also, plan on a 4.0 swap perhaps..

but then again, who ever would by a 4CYL with 15,000 miles from me? lol

Comment

If you are mostly offroad with it you will be happy with the 4cyl. The only time they really suck it when you are trying to go 75mph. What year is it?
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Has the engine been replaced or is that the true mileage for the whole Jeep? It looks pretty clean and would be fun project. If the price is right and the actual mileage is 15000 for the entire Jeep I’d say go for it.
                Check out .

Comment

It's a 1990. I've had one identical to it before except not lifted. Do they ride well if done right on leaf springs

Comment

Dirtman/ it's a new engine. The rest has 140,000 miles. Not buying I'm trading my xj with 200,000, the guy's wife doesn't like wranglers so he wanted to trade me

Comment

I think they ride well. Mine rides as good as stock except for my very worn shocks. I am sure the 15K miles is on a rebulit motor. Its really easy to upgade axles and such with leaf springs also. And you should already be high pinion in front with 4.10 gears.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

:thumbs_upThats a good trade.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                          And you should already be high pinion in front with 4.10 gears.
                          Depends on if it is an automatic or stick. Manual 4 cyl came with 4.10's from the factory. I think the autos came with 3.73's.

Comment

The outcome

I kept my xj, with 200,000 miles it still looked brand new compared to this thing. The pics he gave me looked nothing like the actual jeep . Pays to wait. Lol. The insides were all graffitied on and stickered and the dash was torn off . Plus it had oil leaks horibly. Poor jeep thanks for the advice everyone

Comment

but..

nice guy though, really wish it could have worked out better for him..
                              i guess the guy before him that had it thrashed it and beat it to hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X