Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Lakewood

Hey all, I am jonah from Lakewood CA. I have had a few CJs (7, 7, 5, 3B) over the years. But I have not had a one since I moved to CA from MI - going on 12 years now.

Anyway, I picked up a 54 CJ3b a couple of months ago with thoughts of a little fixing up and trail riding. I will let the photos tell the rest of the story.

It was a runner, but I started to strip it down.

Here is a nice example of what I was finding everywhere.

New frame in progress

I hope these YJ springs flatten quite a bit when the weight is added.

The start of the front shackles

Well, that is where I am now. Hope to see you on the trail soon...and by soon I am guessing sometime in 2020 at my current rate of progress

Welcome to MJR. That looks like a fun build. Ill be watching for updates. Im not sure if he still has it but there was a really nice 48 CJ2a here on the board.
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14933

-Scott
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Welcome to MJR.Thats a great project,love those old high hood flattys.:beer:
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Welcome to MJR... I been here going on 3or4 years and finally getting to know a tad bit about wrenching on my jeep..Great bunch of people here ..your build looks like fun...when do you plan to be on the trail with it? LOL..
        "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys. I met rat patrol last week and he said it was a good group here, so I figured I would stop lurking and join in.

I did see that 2a when I was looking to buy, but like GP4Play I have a soft spot for high hoods and couldn't resist. I have had a few moments of "what the hell was I thinking" as this turned from something to tinker with and do a little wrenching to full on from the ground up rebuild, especially considering I have a 5 month old. But it is too much fun, I love jeeps.

As far as getting out on the trail, I was only half joking about 2020. I really hope it won't be too long (by summer maybe). Depends on budget mostly, I promised to only spend extra money from side jobs...and the pot is currently pretty low, sadball.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Jonah..
            I'm in Lakewood too.
            Welcome to the board.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Great Project! Welcome to MJR! We are sure sorry that Rat was the first member you met! Please don't judge us all by his antics! (Actually Kurt is one of the good guys!)
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Jonah! Welcome to the board. Glad you made it. That frame looks great! I can't wait to see how that old lady turns out.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Welcome and oh man those are scary weld...er goobers made by the previous owner. Have fun on the build, hope to see you on the trails soon.
                  "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Nailer, Go Lakewood! Are you over by autozone? I saw a built jeep in the alley across the street...

Roger, Kurt is into photography so I figured he had to be alright, being a photo dude myself. He at least convinced me you poke around here a bit more.

Hey Kurt, Thanks on the frame, it is coming together.

No doubt on those welds, I should get a pic of the motor mounts, no penetration. I can't believe that thing was in one piece. Anyway, I threw the tub on today and this jeep is too tall right now, 24" to the frame. I am contemplating going to spring under, which will be too low so I would probably need new springs. Maybe I will french the hangers. I am not sure, I only was going to run 33s on my M20 and D30 with 4.56s. I think it will get closer to a reasonable height once all the weight is on it. I have been staring at it all day - going crazy now.

On the up side I cinched down the front and the shackle angle is just right, 50 degrees when the spring gets flat.

photos for your review (31" tires on it now):

Oh yeah, the tub is getting stretched 10" to fill the frame.

Comment

Another Lakewood lurker here! Welcome to the club...

Comment

Hey RubiKat, I guess I found the right place with all of these Lakewoodians here!

Comment

I am starting real build thread over in Fab/Mod:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...833#post151833

Comment

Lakewoodians eh? I would say I'm a La Habrian, but I think it's that same as "get down, that's gunfire"...
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I didn't know La Habra was such an "exciting" place...
                              You might have to add some bulletproof mods to that jeep you are building!

Comment

Working...
                              X