Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any sugestions

ok .I have a 1980 cj7 pretty much all stock except for the lockers in the rear im lookin to get a couple of inches in lift .my main problem is the funding.I also want to do this myself which leads to problem 2. limited mech. skills.. a easy inexpensive 3 inch lift is this out of the question ???

No it's not out of the question. Rough country sells add a leafs that will give you 2" of lift. A little trickey but do-able by the novice mechanic (that would be me).

Warrior makes heavy duty shackles that will give you a two inch lift. Very easy to install.

For another 1", a 1" body lift is the way to go. All three items run about $100.00 each and you can do them in phases. This is the "po-boy" method if you can't afford new leaf springs & shocks. With a 2" lift you can still use the original shocks. The body lift does not affect the shocks at all.

I hope this helps.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger! Great advice!

If you need a great connection for the Rough Country stuff, drop a line to LeadFOOTJosh here on the board... He has some connections and can help you with the "hook up".

If you choose to go with a full set of springs, which is what I did (went with 4.5" lift springs), you could install them pretty easily in a day. Just need a few jack stands, sockets, wrenches, and will power... It is basically as simple (in theory) as drop one down and reconnect the new one... I know that nothing is really that simple because, at least on mine, you always run into something... That being said, we swapped out all four springs on my CJ in about 6 hours....

You can pick up the extended shackles pretty cheap too... Josh may be able to help you out with those, or you could go to Ebay. Just make sure they are the right width... If you can afford it, the boomarang lift shackles are pretty cool and very sturdy.

Once you get the lift and all of that on... I would also recommend that you pick up a new drop pitman arm... without the new drop pitman, steering on the streets can get a little squirrelly....

Just my :2:
      Regards,
      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

hey. roger and mybrokenjeep thanks for the tips im gonna look into them as soon as im finished with this message.I also need to buy tires and im stuck 31s ,32s,or33s I guess what im asking is ? will the 31s get me anywhere the 33s will?

Comment

thanks for the tips

just wanted to say thanks for the tips to roger and mybrokenjeep. how about this one. like i said about the budget thing wel, if i go with 31s will i be sorry i didnt spend a little more and go for the33s???or will the 31s take me any the 33s will?

Comment

If you have the gears, you want 33"s. What gears are in the diff's.

Comment

80rockincj, You are very welcome. I would however suggest that you re-ask the tire question in the General Tech section. This section is really just for introductions.

(Moderators - I hope I have not overstepped, just trying to help)
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
              X