Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 414,000+ miles

Hey all, joined this board because I saw that there were a lot of CA high desert Jeep owners here. I purchased an 87 XJ a few years ago with quite a few modifications (and miles), but haven't been able to enjoy it on trails due to reliability issues. Anybody here in the high desert near Landers/Yucca Valley want to help out a newbie to Jeeps? I'm young (sorta) but I know how to wrench on cars. Just not too sure how to work on/modify Jeeps. My DD/project has been a Firebird because of the Jeeps unreliability (yeah.). I ended up spending my time working on the Bird, instead of the Jeep (doh!).

My Jeep:

The Bird:
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...rd/1999/30044/

Well welcome to the board, there is a group going to Calico tommorrow. What kind of problems are you having with the XJ? Got a few spare parts for a 91 and an 87. All kinds of Jeepers here, just join in, Kevin, 1 Bad F N Z

Comment

I won't be able to make the Calico thing because of an event with the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette guys (go figure ). The primary issue is I will be driving along, and the Jeep will just shut off (like you turn the key to shut it off). When you try to turn it back on, the engine just keeps cranking but it seems like for whatever reason it will not fire. There is fuel pressure at the rails and there seems to be spark from the distributor. I've been on a trail before when this happened and it sucked because all I could do was keep trying to start it every so often until it actually worked.

On a side note, back in the day my parents and I would go on trails with a slightly modified Ford van (the red one in the picture) all over the western US. It was great fun and incredibly stupid because we had almost no recovery tools/methods besides cans of fix-a-flat, a compressor, and sometimes scraps of wood. lol
      Last edited by ZexGX; 10-30-09, 07:22 PM.

Comment

What year is it? Have you done a compression check with 414k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
          What year is it? Have you done a compression check with 414k miles.
          '87. It's had two rebuilds and I'm pretty sure on the last rebuild a mild cam was installed. Other than randomly cutting out it runs and drives just fine, until it shuts off. Doesn't seem like something that compression loss would cause. Like I said, the starter just keeps cranking the engine and it just never catches.

I made a post in the Tech section regarding this problem: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ewpost&t=15770
          Last edited by ZexGX; 10-30-09, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome to MJR.:beer:
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Welcome to MJR. Curious problem with your XJ. I'm sure you'll get some good advice on this forum.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

My 87 wrangler did that and it was found to be a bad ground from the computer. You might want to check the coil too.

Chuck
                I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Here is your good advice . A quick check will show. But, it's usually 4 things. Air, fuel, Spark, and compression.
                  Good luck. Hope you get it fixed...AND Welcome!
                  http://www.automedia.com/Engine_Comp...cr20050801cc/2
                  The key point here is that an engine with low sealing compression in one or more cylinders will never run right—no matter how many new parts are connected to it.
                  http://yotatech.com/f116/engine-cran...hanics-194573/
                  Spark, fuel, air, and compression
                  http://www.tpub.com/engine2/en2-74.htm
                  ENGINE STALLS FREQUENTLY OR STOPS SUDDENLY
                  LOSS OF COMPRESSION.–A cylinder may misfire due to loss of compression, which may be caused by a leaking cylinder head gasket, leaking or sticking cylinder valves, worn pistons, liners or rings, or a cracked cylinder head or block
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 10-31-09, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Funny by buddie Sean has a XJ an a 99 Trans Am. Nice looking cars.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Welcome to MJR.
                      Nice rig. You might wanna move that jack when you get into some of the tougher trails.\\
                      I had an '89 XJ. Loved it. Traded it in for my TJ cuz it had 434,000 miles and started having electrical probs that were driving me nuts. Every time I have to PACK my TJ for I trip... I miss that XJ..

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                        Funny by buddie Sean has a XJ an a 01 Trans Am. Nice looking cars.
                        fiksed!

Welcome to MJR! Always good to have another XJ here.

Clean lookin Formy btw
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                        X