Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there and welcome aboard! I'm pretty sure I saw that sweet yellow jeep parked at the 4Wheel parts in Azusa this morning.

Nice Jeeps!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ECHO View Post
      and broke!! Lol

Oh, I'm already there!
      "A government big enough to give you everything you need is powerful enough to take everything you have"

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Hey there and welcome aboard! I'm pretty sure I saw that sweet yellow jeep parked at the 4Wheel parts in Azusa this morning.

Nice Jeeps!
        You did!

I'm having them put in an AGR Superbox II setup. This is one of those unscheduled upgrades that come back to bite me from time to time. Normally, we do all our builds & installs ourselves - but after putting and taking out a teralow about 4 times (long story), I'd monopolized my buddy's shop long enough.

About 5 months ago, I decided to put a steering box brace on my Jeep. Nothing major, just a little mod to help reinforce the stock 'box. While removing the four allen bolts in the bottom of the 'box (where the brace attaches), one of the bolts sheared off waaay up inside the 'box's body. Although I'd used a ton of PB Blaster before the attempt, I decided to spray some more in there & try to get it out using an easy out. After some time, I'd managed to get a hole drilled into the remaining bolt still stuck up in there. So far so good. I got the easy out in there nice & snug and started to attempt to extract the busted bolt. SNAP! The extractor bit broke off inside the bolt. I tried & tried (and tried) to get that busted extractor out of the busted bolt, but there was no way.

Now, instead of a perfectly good, un-braced steering box - I had a braced steering box with one busted bolt & a small leak.

I knew that I'd have to replace the box, but there was a trip over Gold Mtn & John Bull coming up & there wasn't enough time to swap it out - so I decided to run with the box the way it was. I did the whole trail with no real issues, but had cooked my steering box by the end of the day (no real shock there).

I also destroyed a defective teralow 4:1 that day. One of the planetary gear's washers came out of its assembly & proceeded to get itself ground up - chipping several teeth in the process. Even with all that though, it pulled me all the way over both trails. I had to trailer it home, but TeraLow (to their immense credit) replaced it without a peep & I pulled the busted one out & put the new one in. This process kept my Jeep at my buddy's garage longer than expected though - which was holding up another buddy in the process of finishing his XJ - so I opted to have 4WP do this install for me.

More information that anyone wanted to know, but I thought it was a good story.
        "A government big enough to give you everything you need is powerful enough to take everything you have"

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

We like stories!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Any problems getting the '48 registered? My boss had one and they wouldn't register it until he put in a roll bar, and did some stuff with the headlights & blinkers.

Just wondering.

Sweet Rigs though.[/COLOR]
            Last edited by USMC 0369; 07-18-09, 10:37 AM.
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR="Sienna"]Any problems getting the '48 registered? My boss had one and they wouldn't register it until he put in a roll bar, and did some stuff with the headlights & blinkers.

Just wondering.

I didn't have any problem registering it, but I'm still in the process of getting it insured.

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post

Just wondering.

Are they trying to make it like a house? If you permit an old house, the addition has to be up to new code? Like the roll bar in this case? Geez I see people with aftermarket tail lights and what not that in no was DOT approved. Like the S10 or Colorado's with the lights down by the bumper and the stock ones blocked off. Some of those aren't DOT approved.

Comment

Yeah, I was a little shocked that mine went through so easy. I didn't (and still doesn't) have turn signals or seat belts when I registered mine. Those kinds of things did come up when I tried to get Mercury to insure it though. They acted like I was trying to register a Croatian farm tractor or something.

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

DMV never even asked me. My 53 Chevy does have turn signals but doesn't have any seatbelts. I don’t think you will have any trouble registering that thing.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Well, I've finally got around to the CJ! It developed a nasty trans leak, so I decided to pull it out & rebuild it. It was in need of some new needle bearings anyway & would pop out of 2nd gear when not under load (a common problem for the oldies). While I'm at it, I decided to put in a new clutch. The tcase is next, then it's on to everything else. I've got a box in my garage with all new weatherstripping & some electrical, which will be going on as soon as it's painted. I've decided on painting it an original color called Americar Black w/Harvard Red wheels/trim. It's a work in progress, but I think it's going to come out pretty good (I hope, anyway).

I'd like to get all the mechanical stuff fixed & take it out on a trail somewhere (something I've never done with it). It's always just kind of been a toy I take the kids to get ice cream with, but a trail might be in order before I get it painted. I don't know.
                      Last edited by heypilch; 08-13-09, 08:06 AM. Reason: typo

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I got an email that said there was a reply here, but there isn't a reply when I clicked on the link. What gives?

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by heypilch View Post
                          I got an email that said there was a reply here, but there isn't a reply when I clicked on the link. What gives?
                          There was a post, but the person who posted removed it. Can't remove the e-mail once it's sent though!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            There was a post, but the person who posted removed it. Can't remove the e-mail once it's sent though!
                            Hmmmm. Wonder what he said...

Thanks!

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                            X