Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about the Unlimited (LJ)? My wife is confined to a wheelchair and I could use the extra space for her chair and what not. Is the extra length a problem when out wheeling? I see that it has the 44 in the back but it doesn't look like it has any lockers. Also, are aftermarket upgrades harder to come by? Opinions?

Comment

Aftermarket is mostly the same when it comes to drivetrain (axles/engines/etc.). The LJ differs from the TJ in only a couple things relating to the body. It is ever so slightly harder to find rock sliders, and maybe corner guards.

The extra length is actually better for steep climbs and the rear overhang (departure angle) is very similar to the TJ. If you have a good strong rear bumper, you won't notice the extra length. I wish I had the money for an LJ or a JK!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
        Wow inverted,
        I just learned a lot about my rig.
        I have an 05 TJ 2" suspension/1"body lift on 33's
        D30/D35 both open, 3:07 gears and a 6 speed tranny.
        I wheel it hard. Rocks, sand, mud and snow. Still learning though.
        Guess I'm lucky I haven't broke anything yet.
        I always make sure I have good spotters though.

Anyway, gmorell. I guess what I'm saying is. Start with whatever your budget allows, upgrade as you learn.
        The learning part is really fun!
        Personally, I love my soft top. It's a li'l noisy, but hey.. it's a Jeep.
        Don't know if that's any help, but there it is.

Scott
        x2...Good job Inverted. WOW!

Comment

Thanks Jeep4Cern. You know, since I was writing an essay, I should have mentioned that the Rubicon does have the "Rock Trac" NV241 transfer case; significantly stronger and lower gears than the NP231 in other TJs. For sand and mud, the higher low range gearing might be better though.

x2 on what Matterdaddy said about LJs. That longer wheelbase can be an advantage. On the other hand, you'll definitely need a little extra lift or it won't be as nimble in the rock piles. You can build those up pretty killer.

I was actually going to mention the LJ, but you said TJ and I was afraid if I made my post any longer I might bring the server down.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
            Thanks Jeep4Cern. You know, since I was writing an essay, I should have mentioned that the Rubicon does have the "Rock Trac" NV241 transfer case; significantly stronger and lower gears than the NP231 in other TJs. For sand and mud, the higher low range gearing might be better though.

x2 on what Matterdaddy said about LJs. That longer wheelbase can be an advantage. On the other hand, you'll definitely need a little extra lift or it won't be as nimble in the rock piles. You can build those up pretty killer.

I was actually going to mention the LJ, but you said TJ and I was afraid if I made my post any longer I might bring the server down.

Catch your breath Then explain what's the difference between the two transfer cases? Curious.

Comment

i only have 2 things to add to these amazing posts your gettin.

1) buy as stock as possible, it will probably cost you more in the end after buying a couple of lifts (small to start, then bigger later) and a couple sets of tires. there are some good reasons for building your own rig: 1) you grow with your rigs capabilities, you dont try for too big too fast. 2) you can do the work or atleast be involved in the process, this is handy if you ever break on the trail, then you know how your jeep goes together. 3) already lifted jeeps have more than likely been wheeled, and you have no idea what kind of abuse they were put through, why is the guy selling? perhaps its an inch from blowing something up big time, and he knows it but you dont? plus you dont know who did the work and what kind of backyard hackjob they did!

2) welcome to MJR!!

P.S: you would be amazed at what a stock jeep will do! i know i was blown away with my first 97 4banger!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                Catch your breath Then explain what's the difference between the two transfer cases? Curious.
                The Rubicon TC is 4:1 . . . I think the standard TJ is 2:1.
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                  The Rubicon TC is 4:1 . . . I think the standard TJ is 2:1.
                  That's a big difference. What is the YJ?

Comment

the np 231 transfer case in TJ's and YJ's is geared 2.73:1. Which is a pretty good all around gear choice.
                    For a lot of rockcrawling 4:1 or lower is better though, the drawback is that you shift a lot from low to high range and for running in sand it's definitely to low

Comment

I believe the Rubicon T-case has a fixed yoke as well, and that is a real + when you go to lift it.
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I bought my Jeep 2 yrs ago a 97TJ Fo Banga.

When I bought it I knew nothing about Jeeps or 4 Wheeling.

2yr's later I still know nothing!

If you can afford a 03 or 04 Rubi get it, if not an unlimited or Sahara for the D44 and I6.

Stay away from the FO Banga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am def going for the I6. Well, after discussions with the wife, I've had to cut my budget back some. I have been looking for about a week now, not really having much luck finding something in my price range (6 to 8k now). Usually not even the sport trim when I do find them, if it is it's got like 180k on it. This also leaves me without the 44 option. This leads to yet another question. Will I be sorry buying a 6K TJ with just over 100k on the odometer and just running it until I break the cheap 33 axle or something else? I figure it is going to be a while before I can learn enough to really go crazy out there and I may decide that it isn't the thing for me once I do get into it. This will give me sometime to save some more money for the upgrades or bail if I decide I'm just not into it. Plus I am not the type that is going to be out there really abusing my rig and I have other vehicles that I use for my dd. This rig will primarily be to get me from home to wheeling grounds and back, and maybe a Sunday drive here and there.

Here are the min requirements I've been thinking about.

TJ
                          Soft top
                          A/C
                          Automatic
                          I6
                          Under 120k

Options I would like to have:

Cruise
                          Dana 44
                          Ultimate

Tell me what you think? Anything I'm missing?
                          Last edited by gmorell; 06-22-09, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have a 2000 Sport with AC, tilt steering, and cruise control. I like the tilt steering. The AC has been nice at times in SoCal, but I usually run with no top and no doors, so it's not very useful most of the time. Cruise control on a Jeep, especially a lifted one, is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. See, I use my throttle to steer, whether it's on the freeway or on a twisty mountain highway. Not only that, but you have to be prepared and alert at all times in a lifted Jeep. I don't think cruise control on such a rig is terribly safe or appropriate. Besides, if you're looking for a comfy, relaxing ride, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

If you stay with wheeling, sooner or later, you'll wish you had a Dana 44 or better. I think if you keep to moderate trails you should be ok with a Dana 35 if you take it easy. Some of the guys here who have some real experience with them could advise you better than I.

I got my 2000 TJ Sport for $8K on eBay about 3.5 yrs ago, and it already had about $4K in upgrades. I had to get it from Ohio--hassle--and pay extra extortion money to the DMV, but I got a lot more Jeep than I could have in California. One caveat, every nut and bolt in the undercarriage had rust issues; sometimes working on it was a real headache because I would snap bolts off while trying to loosen them.

Good luck!
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

A rear Dana 35 axle is going to serve you well as long as you stay with 32" tires or smaller, and for starting out in the sport that is where you want to be anyways. I agree on the cruise, it's not going to be of much use. You won't have any problems with the 4.0-I6 well into 200k miles, that engine is just awesome. I have >180K on my '91 YJ and she is still running strong. +if there isn't any damage/scratches on the underside, you can bet the miles were highway miles. If you require A/C your better with a Hardtop, otherwise she will never really cool down, I mean it works, but not as well... I know this is gonna sound crazy, but you should meet up with some of us and do a 'ride along' on a trail or two, you either love it or hate it..... :2:
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

The cruise is for my wife. She drives with hand controls and if I make her drive somewhere far she likes to use the cruise so she doesn't have to keep her hand on the control the whole time.

Are there things I should watch for in the higher mileage TJ's besides looking at the undercarriage?

I wouldn't mind going on a "ride along". How would I go about setting one up? I'm right here about 5 miles from Cajon Pass.

Comment

Working...
                                X