Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Noise

My Transfer case has recently started making a noise from the output shaft area, sounds like cards in bycicle spokes. Shifts and works great, just makes terrible noise when driving. I think it is the output shaft bearring, but not for sure yet. Anybody have any ideas? can you get the bearing out without pulling the whole case?

I have developed a whining noise in my transfer case. any ideas? I was leaning towards the output shaft bearing, but not for sure. Can you change that bearing without pulling the case out of the jeep?

Originally posted by answers Sarah accidentally merged
    Marlin,

Looks like you have a 2006 Wrangler. Isn't still under warranty?
    Welcome to MJR! I'm sure someone will have the answer.

it doesnt take much to pull out the tcase in the jeeps. well im not YJ anyways. and for me pulling my transfercase apart was a pretty cool learning expeirence, well for me anyways. and i also have a spare incase i didnt put it back together right. but i have never changed the bearing but i would assume that it would be easier to pull it off and apart.
    Originally posted by peteyg
    First off, welcome to MJR.

Second, cross posting the same post in different areas of the forum is highly discouraged.

That said,

It's no tthat hard to remove the T-case, and disassembly on the bench is MUCH better than trying to separate the case halves in the Jeep. Technically, it can be done, but you'll be much happier if you take the T-case out first.

Once you have it open, the source of the noise should be readily apparent. However, the noise you describe sounds more like incorrect gear meshing, not bearing noise. Failed bearings typically have a "marbles in a can" growling noise, rather than a Card in Spokes type noise.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sarah; 01-12-09, 06:05 PM. Reason: double post

I'm sorry, I accidentally merged all of the posts together instead of the threads. In the future, as petey said, please only create one thread for one topic.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by marlin4570 View Post
      My Transfer case has recently started making a noise from the output shaft area, sounds like cards in bycicle spokes. Shifts and works great, just makes terrible noise when driving. I think it is the output shaft bearring, but not for sure yet. Anybody have any ideas? can you get the bearing out without pulling the whole case?
      This may sound kinda elementary but have you checked the oil level in your Transfer case ?
      TRUCKIN AND FOUR WHEELIN

Comment

Am in the middle of changine the bearing, got it apart and could not see any evedent problems. All looked good, with not hardly any slack in the chain. Will put on here when I get it back together with a new bearing. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

You sure it's in the transfer case and not a chipped or broken tooth in either the trans or one of the diffs?

Comment

Case is fixed. It was the output shaft bearing. Cost about $20.00 for the bearing. Was a cheap fix. Noise was terrible. Thanks for the input and help you all gave.

Comment

Working...
            X