Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy

Name is Jason, but being a child of the 70s' there were too many around, so I go by my middle name "Gunnar".

I was born and raised in Whittier, Ca. 5 years in the Army after H.S., moved back to Cali in 1995 and work for my families flooring business.

Married with lotsa (5) rugrats, 19 all the way down to 19 months.

----------------------------------------

Now comes the typical n00b questions. I have been looking at a 1990 YJ, standard trans., 6" lift (I think), 1-2" body lift, and 35" Swamper Boggers (new) on steel 15" rims (with a spare same size / same rim on a swing out).

The odometer shows 259k while the body is in great shape, new seats, all the windows work, paint is a 6-6.5 on a 10 scale (glossy but with some road / trail chips), hardtop and softtop (soft top needs the front windshield molding to install).

No rust, no leaks, all the bushing are intact and in good shape. They have a receipt for a rebuilt engine about 22k miles ago, I have to get the name of the shop and verify.

She runs good and drives fine and straight, 4wd engages and no weird noises while driving.

Was just wondering if it sounds like a decent ride?

They are asking $6k, but I am sure I can get it between $5-$5.5k.

I realize the Boggers will need to be replaced for SoCals dirt and rocks.

/walloftext
    Looking for a rig--- Needs to be streetable, seat 3-4 and <$6k. Willing to travel for it, up to 36 hour turnaround.

Welcome...Sound a little much. Does it have stock running gear?
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
      Welcome...Sound a little much. Does it have stock running gear?
      Under the hood is bone stock (straight 6), as is the trans and I assume the axles / diffs' are too.

I am gonna go check it out again tomorrow and test drive it again so I can get a RPM reading to try and figure out the gearing, if any.
      Looking for a rig--- Needs to be streetable, seat 3-4 and <$6k. Willing to travel for it, up to 36 hour turnaround.

Comment

Yeah I would look for another deal if it still has 30/35 and stock gears. You know an XJ is great for the off roader with a big family....Yeah I said it an XJ ...dont tell anybody
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Hello.

Here is one for sale. If I had the cash I would go for it. But am stuck with a rubi for now.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12116
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

That does sound pricey unless it has some nice axle mods and is in Really good shape. You can find modded early TJ's for near that price.
            So flooring huh? I will be shopping soon: tile, Berber, maybe some hard wood too.....Jeepers get a big discount right?!?:wink:

Comment

Yeah I would look for another deal if it still has 30/35 and stock gears. You know an XJ is great for the off roader with a big family....Yeah I said it an XJ ...dont tell anybody
              I wanna get a Wrangler to start with, small is more my style, coming from this huge thing.

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940
              Hello.

Here is one for sale. If I had the cash I would go for it. But am stuck with a rubi for now.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12116
              Saw that earlier today, was looking for a more streetable rig, with a back seat for the once or twice a week errands with the munchkin.

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com
              That does sound pricey unless it has some nice axle mods and is in Really good shape. You can find modded early TJ's for near that price.
              So flooring huh? I will be shopping soon: tile, Berber, maybe some hard wood too.....Jeepers get a big discount right?!?
              I will crawl over it tomorrow and snap a bunch of pics of everything.

I'd be more than happy to work the numbers with you, save you a bunch of $$$ and then you can tell the S.O. you paid more for it, gotta have that MOD money.:shades:

Now here are some pics I shot on the way home tonight. Excuse the 7 year old camera that has been dropped more than me when I was lil.

Comment

Can't help you much on the Jeep but welcome to MJR.

The 35 in the rear with those tires is really pushing the limits of that axle. For $6k there's a lot more options out there.

Whittier, huh, where'd you go to HS?
                Last edited by karstic; 09-12-08, 10:51 PM.

Comment

You know an XJ is great for the off roader with a big family....Yeah I said it an XJ ...dont tell anybody
                  Us LWB guys won't hold it against you

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                    Can't help you much on the Jeep but welcome to MJR.

The 35 in the rear with those tires is really pushing the limits of that axle. For $6k there's a lot more options out there.

Whittier, huh, where'd you go to HS?
                    La Serna, graduated in '89.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar View Post
                      La Serna, graduated in '89.
                      Did you know Bob Wyatt?

Comment

You should look for a 1997 and up because thats the year they changed to the linked suspension. That looks like a 3 inch body lift too me Thats just a cheap wat too lift a truck but I would never go over 1 inch. Tires that big on a dana 35 = trouble. I Think you definatly get a newer tj for that price shop around with this economy you can get some really good deals. Btw welcome to mjr let us know when you get a rig so we can go wheelin.

Comment

Did you know Bob Wyatt?
                          Sounds familiar, did he have an older brother maybe a year or two ahead of him.

Originally posted by Jeeperator
                          You should look for a 1997 and up because thats the year they changed to the linked suspension. That looks like a 3 inch body lift too me Thats just a cheap wat too lift a truck but I would never go over 1 inch. Tires that big on a dana 35 = trouble. I Think you definatly get a newer tj for that price shop around with this economy you can get some really good deals. Btw welcome to mjr let us know when you get a rig so we can go wheelin.
                          Will do, I just gotta get this Jeep itch under control. It's been bugging me for a bit now.

Comment

Did you know Bob Wyatt?
                            Originally posted by Gunnar View Post
                            Sounds familiar, did he have an older brother maybe a year or two ahead of him.
                            No younger sister, he graduated in '90. Went in the Army, also. He was a good friend of mine. Where'd you go to grade school?

Comment

Did you know Bob Wyatt?

No younger sister, he graduated in '90. Went in the Army, also. He was a good friend of mine. Where'd you go to grade school?
                              I did Murphy Ranch for Elementary and Hillview for Middle School.

If you talk to him mention a black '65 Mustang with a turquoise hood and a 9" snorkel scoop. It was the 80's, that's my excuse and I am sticking with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X