Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice resource...

Just wanted to say Hi and thank everyone for this excellent resource. I was born in Downey and lived around the southland for 29 years. I loved hiking/biking, but never wheeled while living in Cali. In 2001, I moved to Colorado and started wheeling an old Yota. I picked up a LJ Rubi last year. Been building her up ever since. Now I'm excited to drive out to Cali next week to see friends. I get one day to wheel, maybe two, so I gotta make it count. John Bull, Odessa/Doran, Stoddard or JV, decisions, decisions...

Last edited by kimo; 11-09-07, 12:06 AM.

Welcome to MJR!! Odessa & Doran

Comment

Welcome to MJR. Nice rig and really nice scenery.
      Check out .

Comment

Sweet! Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your trip back to Socal.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

awesome picture. makes me want to leave work right now...
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

welcome, nice rubi. to bad you can't do the Rubicon trail. two days would be best though. long ways from southern Cali.
            Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Welcome Kimo!!! Beautiful Jeep you've got there. I'm curious to hear about Colorado from someone that is originally from SoCal. How do you like it out there? I'm born and raised in the LA area, but have been considering taking a look out of state . . . too damn expensive here and I'm 32 and my hair is starting to turn white! I was thinking AZ, but the heat is just not condusive to wheelin' or ridin' (motorcycle) so I thought CO might be a cool place to check out . . . any thoughts?
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and comments everyone. I'm thinking Odessa/Doran AND John Bull. I'll post some pics of my rockin' Rubi when I get back to Boulder.

Originally posted by Rubigirl View Post
                to bad you can't do the Rubicon trail. two days would be best though. long ways from southern Cali.
                The Jeep club I roll with plans to run it next summer. I'll be back!

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                How do you like it out there? I'm born and raised in the LA area, but have been considering taking a look out of state . . . too damn expensive here and I'm 32 and my hair is starting to turn white! I was thinking AZ, but the heat is just not condusive to wheelin' or ridin' (motorcycle) so I thought CO might be a cool place to check out . . . any thoughts?
                One thought...buy a good jacket and don't look back. Colorado will spoil you. I miss the ocean, but the mountains make up for it. I miss my friends, but they're a phone call away. Winter tests my patience, but spring, summer, and fall are spectacular. Colorado towns are always near the top of the "best places to live" lists for good reason. Did I say summer is absolutely spectacular? I think about moving back to Cali sometimes, usually around February. But when things start turning green again life couldn't be better.

Denver is a fine little city. Lots of history, cool people, a vibrant music scene, good food and BEER, arts and culture. I've been to Phoenix a number of times and it reminds me of Vegas...soul-less and expansive, without a center.

I got lucky...the company I worked for in Azusa opened an engineering office in Boulder and needed staff. I commuted 2 hours a day for 10 years in LA and I was miserable. I flew out here in 2001, took a deep breath, and fell in love. Now I live less than a mile from work and I'm 5 miles from the mountains.

The pics below are of Carnage Canyon Boulder...an easy 15 minute drive from my place. Yeppers, I'm spoiled...and I love it.

Carnage in the summer.

Here's a few more pix of Colorado. This is Red Cone in August. This trail is 50 miles or so SW of Denver. It climbs to the top of Red Cone Peak at 12,800 ft. Look close and you'll see the line of Jeeps driving over the peak and down to Webster Pass. We then drove to the top of Radical Hill and found lots of cool and friendly mountain goats hanging out along the trail.

Cali is nice...no doubt about it...but Colorado is something special...

Comment

Schmo - I can't say much about the livin' out there, but the wheelin' is excellent!

Kimo - AWESOME pics!
                  Last edited by sarah; 11-09-07, 11:56 PM.
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Wow! Those pic's and write almost make me want to pack up and move out there!!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
                      Wow! Those pic's and write almost make me want to pack up and move out there!!
                      I was thinking the same thing!!! I really need to take a trip out there and check it out as I've never even passed thru Colorado. From what everyone has told me, I worry that if I do visit I won't want to return to CA. My job has been a real rollercoaster for the last year and I may need to make a change . . . I've been thinking about really shaking things up and moving out of LA rather than just finding a new job. Not sure I'm up for Boulder as I've never been around snow, but I've heard that Colorado Springs only gets a little snow usually and it doesn't stick around for too long. We should coordinate a MJR Colorado Trip and maybe some of the local CO guys could show us around????
                      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Kimo is right. I moved to Colorado fifteen years ago to go to school. Still here and can't really imagine living anywhere else. Come and see us. I am also thinking of going to the rubicon in the spring. When does it usually open up and melt out?
                        '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Working...
                        X