Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to Jeepin', but I have owned a Jeep for about 6 years now. I recently moved from Michigan to Lancaster, CA and my friend told me about some off road trails and camping, so I thought I would give it a try. Well I loved it and I can't wait to do it some more. I found myself driving around EP-15 and Last Chance Canyon and couldn't get enough.

Since I am a newbie, I was wondering if I could get some helpful suggestions from some more experienced Jeepers. I currently own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, everything stock except for the largest off road tires I could fit on it. This is my everyday truck that I drive to work etc. so I was thinking about buying a Wrangler or Cherokee that I could spend some time fixing up and just using for off road adventures and camping. My question is, what would be a better investment? Wrangler, Cherokee and where should I start as far as upgrades? All suggestions welcome!

I can't wait to get back on the trail!

Welcome to MJR. The debate whether you should get a wrangler or a cherokee is pretty much gonna be up to personal opinion. Which do you like better look wise?

Both are very capeable and both have large after market support.

An XJ is a cheap platform and parts for it are considerably less expensive then say a TJ. Then again with a TJ you get rear coil springs (but along with that comes rear arms, rear trac bar, etc...)

IMO leaf springs go just fine...

As far as upgrades, they are mostly up to you, just remember you get what you pay for when dealing with parts (most of the time, theres always the exception)
    Last edited by swbooking; 10-29-07, 11:28 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Welcome to CA and MJR! I'm a Michigan transplant as well - snow is fo suckas!
      hehe

:gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

both are very capable rigs,as stated above. Cherokee's have more room to throw your gear,and if you plan on camping or bringing extra people, they also seem a little cheaper, and easer to find, but a wrangler, you can take the top and doors off( easily)

Comment

Working...
        X