Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare Gulch and/or Last Chance Cyn.

I know this is last minute, but Geebo and myself are going to camp at Red Rock Canyon NP this Friday - Sunday. We're going to do some exploring the mines of the area and run Nightmare Gulch and/or Last Chance.

We will camp in Richardo campground. Obviously don't know which site yet. I drive a white CJ7 with black soft top. Geebo drives a dark blue TJ with a black soft top.

Feel free to join in.

We'll keep a CB on at Channel 20.

Hey Everyone,yup we,ll be up there all weekend. Just come up either day if ya can,t make the camp trip..any day any time would be great the more the (Merrier) spelling? Thanks ..Geeb
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

How was your trip there this weekend ?
      Was that your group we ran past when we were screwing around at the notch? We were a group of 8 Jeeps there, another great day on the trail with a great buch of guys.
      moon buggy
      5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

I don't recall seeing a group of 8 Jeeps. We went through Nightmare Gulch on Saturday later in the afternoon. Today we ran out to Burro Smidths (sp?) Tunnel, then only the very upper part of Last Chance when we were "taking a shortcut" to the 14 freeway.

There was three of us: Geebo, Phoenix, and myself.

Friday - We got to Richardo's and set camp, then headed over to Dove Springs and played around over there:

The weather was perfect. The night was cool, but hardly needing a jacket.
        Saturday morning, we headed out to find Nightmare Gulch. None of us had been there, but we tried to located it with the poor maps available...to no avail. We did find a cool canyon with interesting rocks, and a little fit of an obstacle:

After a lot of running around, I headed to what I though was the southern end of Nightmare Gulch. I recognized it from a photo posted somewhere here. Sure enough, we found it:

It was getting late, so back to camp.
        Sunday morning, we decided to head over to Burro Smitds (can't remember how it's spelt!!). We stopped at a few mines and sights along the way:

We were all running low on gas, about 1/4 tank each, so we headed out. Looking at the map, I figured we could find a shorter way out. We dropped down a very steep hill in Last Chance Canyon, and were told that the only exit down from there was Red Rock/Ransberg Road - no way out to the 14 freeway. We definitely didn't have the time nor fuel to do Last Chance...so we had to go back up that hill. It was a little tough for me, because both diff's are open on my Jeep. I bounced quite a bit, slid, and bounced some more. When I was approaching the very top, a guy on a motorcycle pulls right in front of me. No way in hell I was letting off that gas! Good thing he moved quickly! I got to the top, went to hit the clutch, and my pedal was resting on the floor. I dropped my clutch linkage halfway up that hill! It took more time recovering the part than the repair of it.

Phoenix was locked, and Geebo has LS, so they walked up the hill.

Hopefully they'll post their pics soon.

Comment

Steve,

Looks like you guys had a very cool weekend. I'll have to try to make a run there one day soon. Nice pic's.

Comment

Steve I,ll send you the pic,s I took of the trip 54 of them I,ll let you figure out which ones you wanna post..It was a great trip having never been there made it so much fun..By the way I did see a group of jeepers I thought I counted about 6 damn wish we could have hooked up, as Steve said we had limited knowleged of the trail and maps that were not real helpful..Thanks Geeb

Comment

here,s Steve messin around!!!

Comment

Just to add some more photo's that Geebo took

At the old postoffice

I couldn't find my Jeep...where is it!?

Some help putting air in the tires:

Geebo flexing:

A little unmarked wash we found:

Phoenix crossing:

Comment

Comment

Which hill in Last Chance, was it this one near the north end:

Or this one towards the middle:
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

yes, it was the one at the north end.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X