Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3N14 from Bowen Ranch to 3N16!

I spoke to local Jeeper today and he said that he had just run "Coxey Truck Trail" (turns into 3N14) from Apple Valley south up the mountain to 3N16. He said that nothing was posted closed and no locked gates till he hit 3N16 and the Big Pine Flat campground. On 3N16 he traveled east across Holcolm Valley to Hwy 18. After traveling east from 3N14 he said that the roads that go south to Discovery Center area were also open. I will drive this asap to verify. This is a easy way to get Big Bear from the High Desert.

Mitch

Originally posted by great88 View Post
    I spoke to local Jeeper today and he said that he had just run "Coxey Truck Trail" (turns into 3N14) from Apple Valley south up the mountain to 3N16. He said that nothing was posted closed and no locked gates till he hit 3N16 and the Big Pine Flat campground. On 3N16 he traveled east across Holcolm Valley to Hwy 18. After traveling east from 3N14 he said that the roads that go south to Discovery Center area were also open. I will drive this asap to verify. This is a easy way to get Big Bear from the High Desert.

Mitch
    Long way but easy!

Comment

Yea! :thumbs_up
      I heard at the OHV Volunteer meeting that the goal was to get 3N16 and 3N14 back open as soon as possible. Holcomb Creek (3N93), Lower Larga (2N06X) and 3N08 were to remain closed but no gates would be installed. They didn't say how they were planning to let folks know that they should not be on them yet. They did ask for more patrols from the OHV Volunteers to help control the trails though.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Sweet! That's a very scenic drive.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Fires suck!!!!!

Comment

Monday, Oct 29th I traveled Hwy 18 from Lucerne thru Big Bear to Redlands on the front side of the mountain. EVERY trail head that I passed was taped off and closed. I understand protecting a fresh burn area or an area near a burning and dangerous fire but this is stupid to close the entire forest!. Thank goodness that Cal Trans doesn't close the freeway system down everytime one of the 42,000 annual freeway accidents occurs.

Comment

Mitch, I think the Slide and Grass fires had a little bit more impact on the SBNF than the 42,000 _annual_ accidents that CalTrans had to deal with.

But (to use CalTrans as an example) - why didn't they open the Hwy 14 truck route within two hours of the accident last month? _I_ would have had no problem getting my YJ past the wreckage..

I know it's frustrating (you should try it from my side of the fence ), but even if we were to open trails in the non-affected areas (NE side of the mountain), what's to keep people from accessing areas that are still closed? We have people going around _gates_, caution tape won't have any affect. The only solution is to patrol (with limited resources) to keep folks out of the forest.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

In other words, even though there arent any signs up, the Forest is still closed.
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                  Mitch, I think the Slide and Grass fires had a little bit more impact on the SBNF than the 42,000 _annual_ accidents that CalTrans had to deal with.

But (to use CalTrans as an example) - why didn't they open the Hwy 14 truck route within two hours of the accident last month? _I_ would have had no problem getting my YJ past the wreckage..

I know it's frustrating (you should try it from my side of the fence ), but even if we were to open trails in the non-affected areas (NE side of the mountain), what's to keep people from accessing areas that are still closed? We have people going around _gates_, caution tape won't have any affect. The only solution is to patrol (with limited resources) to keep folks out of the forest.
                  Well said.
                  Rat
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                    In other words, even though there arent any signs up, the Forest is still closed.
                    I haven't been up the hill to look at the Hwy signs, but here's the clip from the front page of the SBNF website.

Due to extreme fire activity, and to protect public health and safety, San Bernardino National Forest officials are implementing a forest closure, effective October 23, 2007. The closure prohibits public entry to the forest, with few exceptions, and will last until the extreme conditions subside.

The few exceptions to the closure allow access to the Serrano Campground, the Alpine Pedal Path and the Juniper Point Parking Area. Access to these sites is deemed safe, but visitors must remain vigilant and tend to current fire restrictions, including no smoking or no wood or charcoal fires anywhere on the forest.

Organizations holding special use permits for sanctioned activities within the forest are also exempt from this order, including recreational residences and organizational camps, but occupants must remain within the permit boundaries.

While the closure is in effect, going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the San Bernardino National Forest is not allowed. The closure will affect the use of all national forest recreational facilities, roads and hiking trails. Violators are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

County roads and state highways may be affected by fire activity but are not included in this forest closure. Drivers are urged to seek information about closures, be aware of fire activity in the area and to use extreme caution.

For further information about the closure or fires currently burning on the San Bernardino National Forest, contact the Fire Information Center at 909-383-5688.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Jeff, thanks for the info.

Comment

I’m glad it’s closed. It’s still very dry and the fire danger is still very high. We don’t need any yahoo’s up there without spark arresters on their bikes or careless offroaders flicking their cigarettes out of their vehicle. Enough devastation.:2:
                        Check out .

Comment

Look On The Brite Side

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          Well said.
                          Rat
                          I agree Rat,...Guys, ..Look on the brite side with a posative note. At least the Hammers, Calico and Stoddard Wells is still open...
                          Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 11-02-07, 06:32 PM.
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                          X