Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry I bowed out at the last minute... I did end up showing up for the run. A few of people bowed out at the last minute (they had a long ride to AZ) and one guy turned around early (fan shroud) but we had 7 rigs in all and it was a good day. the weather was perfect, nobody broke, and because of the turnout we ended up going up Odessa and down Doran, less the gatekeeper or course... two guys had fairly stock rigs and made it through by great driving alone. I am allways inpressed to see these open diff, low slung rigs on 30's or 31's just drive it.
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Had a great time with you guys. here are some photos from the trip...

OffRoadFreak AKA Flying Dutchman. 1999 TJ. RE 4.5". 1" body lift. D44 F&R, Lockers F&R, 35" MTRs, Guts to try...well..almost anything.

Comment

OffRoadFreak AKA Flying Dutchman. 1999 TJ. RE 4.5". 1" body lift. D44 F&R, Lockers F&R, 35" MTRs, Guts to try...well..almost anything.

Comment

Comment

We had a total of seven rigs show up at the airdown point. We decided to run Odessa and Doran Canyons together instead of splitting up into two runs. The drivers included Jesse (Kodiak Spirit), Gene (Double G), Paul (pdw), Brandon (OffRoadFreak), George Zalman (from Arizona) , Jim Galbraith (from Arizona) and myself. The weather was perfect; it was about 60 degrees when we started and about 80 degrees when we finished with light winds.

Jim Galbraith’s dark green TJ:

Gene’s (Double G) lime green TJ:

George Zalman’s silver TJ:

George, Jim and Brandon:

This picture was taken moments before Jim got high centered on the rock under his front passenger tire and had to be strapped off. After the recovery, he discovered that his cooling fan was rubbing against his fan shroud, so he decided to turn around rather than risk further damage (he needed to be able to drive his rig back to Arizona).

Paul got high centered. Paul and Jesse (Kodiak Spirit) discuss Paul's predicament. We decided to pull Paul back off the rock instead of pulling him forward:

George:

Paul:

Brandon (listen for the comment about lockers at the end of the video):

Gene:

more….
            Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-10-07, 06:35 AM.
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

This shelf is badly eroded and one section is barely wide enough for a Jeep YJ or TJ. I don’t know if a JK (or a Hummer) would be able to make it through. This is George’s TJ:

Paul’s YJ:

Brandon’s TJ:

We took a break for lunch at Bismarck mine, then returned via Doran Canyon. Paul’s YJ on the Waterfall in Doran Canyon:

Gene’s TJ:

We finished the run without further mishap and we were off the trail by 1:30 pm. Jesse did a great job leading, spotting and letting the group know what to expect. I followed Brandon throughout the day since we both had open diffs on 31s and two inch lifts, but even with the advantage of seeing the lines that he took, I still got stuck much more often than he did.
              Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-10-07, 06:42 AM.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

Nice pictures and report guys. Wish I could have went. Although, I could defiantly see myself getting high centered on some of those rock.
                Check out .

Comment

Great videos, thanks! You had to get color pics of me being stuck on that rock, didn't you?
                  Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                    Great videos, thanks! You had to get color pics of me being stuck on that rock, didn't you?
                    Russ is pretty good about catching those shots. Got me in BB
                    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post

That rock likes Jeeps. It's gets lots of folks just like that
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Russ is pretty good about catching those shots. Got me in BB
                        Yah, that one is ugly.....
                        Money pit!

Comment

i can understand getting high centered... but on a rock with nothing else around! how does that one happen? lol. looks like you guys had a good time, nice pics and good videos.
                          the videos of you guys going up that rocky road where its eroaded away, last time i was there my jeep was to wide for that part and had to go up that bypass hill, now that was fun.
                          97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Yeah, alot of rigs have hit that spot from the side, calling it bypass hill or whatever, but now all the dirt and rock that made that possible is gone and there is a 5' rock ledge that looks really bad. it is straight verticle and rough, and I don't know if it is good to leave alone... we might need to get a group together to build a rock wall and fill it in if we want the trail to stay open.

I dunno if we can even do that by law or what, but if a couple of rigs roll there it's gonna suck.
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                              Yeah, alot of rigs have hit that spot from the side, calling it bypass hill or whatever, but now all the dirt and rock that made that possible is gone and there is a 5' rock ledge that looks really bad. it is straight verticle and rough, and I don't know if it is good to leave alone... we might need to get a group together to build a rock wall and fill it in if we want the trail to stay open.

I dunno if we can even do that by law or what, but if a couple of rigs roll there it's gonna suck.
                              So, who is in charge of that area? Forest service? BLM?

I would be willing to spend a Saturday helping to rebuild that area. IMO - It's if somebody is going to roll, it's when.
                              Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post

yeah i would definatly be up for going and building that wall, anything to help a trail stay open and calico is one of the top places i like to go.
                                that rock ledge must of gotten worse since i have been there last. i think i was there in may or june and it was about a 3 foot vertical ledge. couldnt make it up the first time, just would spin the tires. so i had to back down and air down more. heres a pic of me goin up!

Last edited by paul_arc; 10-11-07, 08:44 AM.
                                97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Working...
                                X