Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day run

Five of us got together to do White Mountain and Holcomb Creek today. We started off with White Mountain and it looked like this:

And this:

And then the clouds started to roll in:

It cooled down rather quickly. We were all excited to roll down our windows and enjoy the fresh air. However, it only lasted for about 30 minutes and then the storm rolled in. We maded it thru White Mountain with lots of rain, but nothing too bad. It was lunch time, but the rain wasn't letting up so we ventured down 3n08 toward Holcomb Creek hoping that at some point it would let up enough to enjoy lunch. This is what it looked like on 3n08:

I stopped taking pictures after those 3 because a flash of lightning had struck down about 25 feet or so from my Jeep. I nearly came out of my skin!! The thunder snapped, cracked, and rumbled so incredibly loud - it was awesome!! But I was now very aware of how scary lightning can be.

We got to the beginning of Holcomb Creek and the trail was literally a stream. We stopped at the turnabout area just before the creek crossing to eat lunch. It poured down rain so hard, we couldn't see each other thru the windows! After eatting, it finally let up. We decided it might not be the safest thing to attempt Holcomb after such heavy rains with the tight, narrow roads and mud. Soooo...we took 2n06x thru to 3n16. I had never been on 2n06x. It was very pretty, nothing fancy...only one small rock garden, but was fun.

We headed down 3n16 to 3n14 to Bowen Ranch and home. 3n16 and 3n14 were full of mud puddles and mini lakes. I took this picture of one of them on 3n16 just before 3n14:

And then took a picture from the inside view of what it was like to plow thru that huge puddle:

Needless to say it was a little tricky! We all made it home safely and had a great day. Here's what the Desert Jewel looks like after the day of playing in the mud:

IT is nice that our mud isn't that thick, nasty, gooey mud they get back east or that clay crap that sticks everywhere. Looks like fun! I want to go wheeling in the rain!

Comment

Looks like it was a fun trip!

Comment

Dang it- we suffered through 105+ temperatures all weekend and you played in the mud!

Comment

This trip proves that jeeping in any conditions is better than sittin' at home. Sounds like you had a good time.
          :wink:

Comment

So glad we don't have mud like back East! And, yes, we had a great day!! Was actually chilly enough to put on a sweatshirt...

Comment

all and all your Jeep looks pretty clean! lol, thanks for sharing.
              Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Ya - the camera made my Jeep look pretty clean. In person, it's really got a lot of caked on mud!! It was so much fun though

Comment

Working...
                X