Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlesnake Cyn to Heartbreak

This was another great trip up Rattlesnake canyon then to Heartbreak and on into Big Bear. The springs in rattlesnake cyn were running a little more than on previous trips but still no more than a trickle. This trail would be Great in the cooler months with some rain or water running through the canyon. We had 15 (IIRC) vehicles run through Rattlesnake and then 10 made the trip onto Heartbreak.

Here are some more pics I snapped. Hopefully others wil post up some of theirs.
    Most of the tral is spent inside a nice canyon setting.

There are several small, rocky sections that provide some entertainment and challenge to the less set up vehicles.

Though we ran Heartbreak, I will refrain from posting pics of the signage or trail in order to keep from causing any controversy about the trail. It was explained to us by a NFS rep that it IS slated for eventual closure but the plan for that area has not been finalized and until it is it remains an open trail. I really wish that it could remain open forever as it is a great area and trail and since it is adopted and used I do not understand why it can't remain open.

What can we do as a group to fight this? What can we do as a group to fight future trail closures? Somehow I do not think that the Big Bear area is getting the proper amount of support from us and the trail use/access orgs to keep it all open. I think that eventually we are going to lose more of OUR trails.
    (FWIW, I am already a member of BRC, CA4WDC, AZ4WDC, and other orgs)

BTW, I met a lot of very cool people on this trip. This is definately my kind of group and reminiscent of the LOST folks (lostkjs.com) I wheel with. I Really look forward to meeting and wheeling with more of you.

Comment

Hey John,

I was wondering when you'd post a report, but I was checking the original thread site. Thank's to everyone for a fun run. Did you guys get rained on? I wasn'y sure how far behind me you were, but when I hit Holcomb Lake it poured and poured. The TV said a 1/4" of rain and hail but I saw that much in 15 minutes. This was a perfect trail for me and when you do something similar please let me know.

Mith - great88

Comment

We only got rained on a little on the trail but once we started heading down the 38 we hit more around Big Bear City. The crazy part was when we were heading home down the 18 and hit a cloud burst near one of the dry lake beds in Lucerne. The cloud was quite a way South of us near the mountains and it was clear overhead but the rain and hail was being blown right into us almost sideways. It went from clear and sunny to hailing, blowing and rainy in seconds but still sunny overhead and the temp dropped a few degrees too. It lasted for about a mile or so. Freaky!

Comment

It was a great trip and very nice to meet some new Wheelin People!

I'll post my picks as soon as I have the chance!

Comment

I'm glad everyone had a great trip.
            But a word of caution.....Rattlesnake Canyon can be very dangerous during monsoon season....I would hesitiate to even enter the canyon when storm clouds are forming over the mountains.
            Why ?.......Flash Flooding.
            It happened to the Hill-N-Gully riders in 1968 or 1969 if I recall.
            No fatalities, but several rigs were lost.
            just an FYI to be aware of your surroundings and have a plan.
            If rain is falling in the canyon, no telling what's happened further up.

Comment

Yep!

Quinn's Father I believe was with that group if I recall correctly and said they lost 4-5 Jeeps that day, every one was ok from what I heard.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Great trip, and great to meet some neat people. Thanks for leading the trail JJ. Need to do that run again before / if it gets closed. Maybe when it cools off some.
                -Burchie
                LOST JEEPS So Cal President

Comment

I agree......

...it was a great day, thanks everyone for coming out, Kris and I had a fantastic time. I said earlier that person we were suppossed to meet in Big Bear backed out on us, would have been fun to sit down and have a burger and a beer with everyone and BS for a while, oh well, maybe next time.
                  Yeah Mitch, we'll be doing some more trips like that and we'll be sure and post up here. We will more then likely do this again before the years end except do it from the top down......:thumbs_up

PS, when we got into BB and going up 38 near Sugerloaf it POURED! The road was a river......
                  John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                  X