Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubicon Trail 2007

Another great run to the Rubicon! The MJR group was small this year (only 4 Jeeps). Due to fire restrictions no open fires were allowed in the back country. It was a lot drier than last year, but there was still plenty of water. Buck Island and Rubi Springs were up to the same level as last year. The water was somewhat warmer. Temps were in the lower 90s during the day, and a very comfortable 60s at night. The group consisted of Stuart (Jeep Virgin), Christy and thier two boys, Jason (Tapatio Thomas) and his two boys, Andrew and Shari (Double AA), me (Rat Patrol) and Debra. We spent the first night a Robbs Resort. I highly recommend Robbs over Ice House. Way better set up and they are WAY freindly. The bar tender doesn't know the meaning of the word "enough"! The restaurant serves a pretty good pizza.
    The weather throughout the entire run was perfect. We hit the trail head at Loon Lake around 9AM and aired down. We were expecting a lot of traffic after learning that a "secret" initiation run for new "Pirates" was going to be coming off the trail that day. Traffic was light though, as most went out on the Tahoe side. Saw a bunch of buggies, one knocking so loud from a thrown rod you could hear it before you saw it. He drove it all the way from Buck Island like that. Not much carnage in our group; a broken brake line, body dingers, lost balance weight on a front drive shaft, some bent and broken tire carriers, water cans, but overall a safe and break free run.

On our way to the Rubicon

Airing down at Loon Lake

We're going in! The Gate Keeper was changed and not as difficult as last year

one of the many buggies we met coming out

The first of the slabs

Jason climbing up

This is the buggy with the rod knock. He made it from Buck Island with an engine that sounded like it was going to blow any minute

This is at the Wentworth/Loon Lake junction. I got stuck here bad. Almost puller a dead snag out of the ground winching out

Some of the obstacles have changed dramatically from last year. This is where Jason's brake line let go. We got it fixed anf got back on the trail, dodging more traffic.

Hand me that hammer!

Taking a break at Little Sluice. I think I saw some of Erik's red paint there still!

Dropping down to Buck Isalnd Lake

The perfect end to the day.

Last edited by RAT; 07-20-07, 11:06 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Wow!! Where's the rest of the pics!? Hahhaha... Interesting about Robb's ... I just saw an ad in Blue Ribbon Magazine for them and thought "hmm!" Icehouse sucks - we stayed in Tahoe last year. Hope there's another post comin' from ya!!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I cant begin to tell you how jealous I am.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Day Two

The second day started out with the local birds raising Hell outside the tents and waking us up at 5AM. I went hiking up to the falls between Rock Bound Lake and Buck Island. Tried some catching, but only fished...

Today is Powder Puff day. The ladies (Shari and Debra) drove from Buck Island to Rubi Springs. This was Debra's first ever trip, first time driving a Jeep, and first time ever driving off road. She did great, as did Shari. It was fun to walk along and take pictures. Felt wierd, but good.

Jason

Stuart and Christi on Big Sluice

Rubicon Springs. Got here about 1 PM. THe water was awsome! Kevin, the caretaker at Rubi Springs was there again this year. He's way cool; he stayed and talked for half an hour at least. We were the only ones there until later that night.

One of the best things to see, anywhere, kids smiling and having fun...

We camped at the grove, which is just West of where we all camped last year. It's a great spot, right next to the water

Last edited by RAT; 07-20-07, 11:25 AM.

Comment

great pics, and a nice report. i'm glad to hear you all made it out in one piece.
          post up some more pics!
          it looks like the ol' YJ held together, eh' Jason?
          i sure wish i could have made it with you guys.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
            I cant begin to tell you how jealous I am.

Tam
            Me too, hopefully next year Tiffany and I can make it!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Wow Kurt! Great photos and trip report. Sure wish I had gone with you. Gonna run JackHammer on Sat nite for the first time.........wish me luck.
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Wow, that looks like an awesome trip. Great photos and write up. I'd love to see some more. That's the kind of trip I really looking forward to doing.
                Check out .

Comment

Day Three

We left Rubi Springs around 9am. I didn't get many pics of Cadillac Hill, not sure why. Hopefully Shari or Jason got some. We met up at the lookout point and took the obligatory group photo.

No caption really needed here. Go Stuart!

After we got off the trail and got our tow rigs, we all went separate ways. Debra and I went to Tahoe to spend the night before heading for Reno and her flight home. She suprised me a birthday Twinkie. WooHooooo...

We drove around Lake Tahoe and got some touristy-type pics. But the lake was awsome as always.

On our way to Reno we stopped to fish the Truckee River. Didn't have any luck, but had fun. Gotta go back and try it again. We saw another fire burning North West of Reno. Apparently there have been quite a few smaller fires in the area lately.

There were three water dropping Helos and a tanker plane fighting the fire

After I dropped Debra off in Reno I headed down to the Owens Valley. I stopped to fish in the Walker river and caught two very nce trout, which I had for dinner that night in Bishop.
                  The next day I got up at 5 am and hit a favorite spot of mine, just North of Bishop. Within 15 minutes I caught my limit (5 fish per day) and continued catch and release until I had caught 22 trout, all rainbows, all 11 inches or better. What a blast!

Mono Lake

A view from my fishing spot

This has to be the best trip I've made in years. Thanks to everyone who came along, and to all of you who couldn't make it, we took you there in spirit. Missed all of you. Stuart, just no way to describe it huh? You have to be there. See ya'all next year!

The rest of my photos are here:
                  http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...02007/?start=0
                  Last edited by RAT; 07-20-07, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Great Report! Of course, now I'm moping even more that I didn't go. Work Sucks! I wanna go Jeepin'.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                      great pics, and a nice report. i'm glad to hear you all made it out in one piece.
                      post up some more pics!
                      it looks like the ol' YJ held together, eh' Jason?
                      i sure wish i could have made it with you guys.
                      Yah, we missed you guys. The YJ had seen better days but it made it through. I'm sure glad I had spare brake lines.
                      I've been busier than anything since I got back. I'll try to post my pics this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                        I've been busier than anything since I got back. I'll try to post my pics this weekend.
                        The worst part of vacation, coming back!

Comment

Ok. Here are some of my pics.

Here's day 1.

Airing down

At first, Rat didn't want to go down but I easily talked him into it. It looked a lot steeper in person.

The infamous brake line fix. Damn metal gets hot. I think I burned my arm multiple times. Teach me to try that line again.

Here's what happens when you lose your brake pedal. Worse part is that was my favorite sicker.

I had some problems keeping all 4 wheels on the ground.

Day 2.
                          Jeep Virgin(Staurt) getting tippy.

We found this character at Rubicon Springs.

I think this was after that first sharp right turn on Cadillac Hill. Of course it was me getting stuck.

Great wheeling trip. Can't wait to do it again. I defintely learned that your Rig wheels so much different when it's loaded down with all the extra gear. But, I checked with my two kids and they had a blast.

Comment

Was the strap that we sacraficed last year as a rope swing still at Rubicon Springs?

Damn...Im sooo jealous and sad we missed this trip. Chris, the kids and I are going through serious Rubicon withdrawals.

Tam
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Great report, I WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X