Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2n17x Second Workday

We are doing another workday to block off the remaining illegal bypasses on 2n17x. We need to block off the illegal bypass at the gatekeeper, and another one halfway thru the trail. We also are going to shave the boulder down a little on the main trail where we blocked off all the illegal bypasses last workday. This will hopefully make the original trail passable and not as dangerous, but still challening.

Meet at the Cedar Springs Dam staging area at 8:30 am.

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
    We also are going to shave the boulder down a little on the main trail where we blocked off all the illegal bypasses last workday. This will hopefully make the original trail passable and not as dangerous, but still challening.

Are you referring to the boulder on the middle trail of the three hill climbs that were blocked off?
    Check out .

Comment

yes, we have had designs to make that middle legal rout passable.we tried it this last saturday again, I have 35"MTR's and lockers front and rear and I get to that "spot" and both my fronts and rears are locked up against those holes and there is a no-go sitch that is kinda scary in that "dude, your gonna roll!" fashion. Paul tried as well and had the same sitch in the same spot, in his XJ. so longer and wider was no better, so we are going to make it passable, but we are not gonna make it easy.
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Great, I tried it every why I could and just couldn't make it up. It's a tough climb.
        Check out .

Comment

I was on the trail sat. and we tried the hill with short and long wheel base rigs locked and every time we got stuck at the same spot just before the top in the holes at the step up. We tried to use the wall on the right side to help but just keep falling back in the hole spining all 4 tires. THE STEP UP NEEDS TO BE KNOCKED DOWN so most rigs can use the hill with lockers . We had 8 rigs and all had to use the bypass.

Comment

thats what we are talking about, believe me, we want the trail to be able to be run the right way. We will be adressing this spot on this workday.

Comment

The time has changed - we are meeting at the Cedar Springs Dam at 8:00 am. We should be done by lunchtime or shortly after. Some will probably go do a trail run after the workday if you want to join them.

Comment

I'm looking forward to finally being able to make the impossible climb! see you at 8:00!

Comment

Good work, looks like we made some good progress. The center hill can be made with two lockers and maybe with one locker and some aggressive driving. It's still a challenge and breakage is possible. It is certainly safer than it was.
                  I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
                    Good work, looks like we made some good progress. The center hill can be made with two lockers and maybe with one locker and some aggressive driving. It's still a challenge and breakage is possible. It is certainly safer than it was.
                    Cool! I have to do some trail rating on some repairs I'm doing this weekend. Sounds like the perfect trail to test on now... Thanks guys. So is all the work at that spot complete now?
                    Rat
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

WooHooo! Gotta go check it out! If I make it up the hill, Sharon MIGHT let me try to go down it again...maybe.
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                        Cool! I have to do some trail rating on some repairs I'm doing this weekend. Sounds like the perfect trail to test on now... Thanks guys. So is all the work at that spot complete now?
                        Rat
                        We still have to complete the telephone poles blocking the lower illegal bypass.
                        I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Ya...we made good progress! The section with the 4-ways that we blocked off the 2 illegal bypasses, is now complete. That center trail is passable. Kodiak Spirit went up and down it several times. The Desert Jewel went down it and tried to make it up, but no go. (I HATE backing down!!) Kodiak Spirit went up after I backed down...he had a nice challenge, but did make it!

We hauled the leftover telephone logs from there to the trail head. They dug 3 holes and put the logs standing up at the trailhead where the illegal bypass was going up the left side. And they put one log laying down at the bottom. At the top of the trail head, they chipped off some of it so is now safer. We still have to get another long log to put on top of the 3 posts at the top of the trail head.

I was able to talk with several dirt bikers and quad riders while the guys were working at the trail head. They were wondering why we were blocking off the trail. I explained to them the trails were made a certain way. If they can't ride them the way they were made and begin to go off the trail starting a new bypass, that is illegal and cause to have the trails shut down. We are closing off the illegal bypasses in an effort to keep the trails open. Once they heard that we were doing this to keep the trails open they weren't so upset and said they'd put the word out to their buddies to stay on the trails!

Comment

Coming down that center section is still a bit dicey. Going up the last time, I really had to use some skinny pedal in just the right spot. All in all it was a good day, there was a breeze and we got three stout poles up on the lower bypass so we can put a cross beam in later. We did notice where some dirtbikes are just going around the barriers, they can't take a hint. I has to be so obviouse that these are dirtbikes making the illegal trails all over. There is one illegal bypass on the downhill by the saddle that was pretty new and narrow just a few months ago, but now you can see that rhinos and quads have made it into a full blown road. If these people can't do the trail, they should stay on the fire roads or something! they make us work so hard to defend our sport!

I Love my Jeep!

Comment

Sounds like a productive day! As a newby (until a little "Desert Jewel" lesson)I would not have understood the legal vs illegal bypass situation. To help other trail users learn the correct way to keep our trails open, you might consider making some signs with the basic rules and place them at the trail head or at an illegal bypass location. I truly think that most users will follow the rules when they find out what it takes to keep our access open or what it takes to lose it!

Comment

Working...
                              X