Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe's Canyon

After doing some AAT work with my local club at Tip Top Mountain (2N90 I believe), we took some time to drive down into Pipe's Canyon (can't remember the "official trail number" for the life of me...maybe one of you can help me out!). Unfortunately none of us had a camera. There were four rigs total.

I would definitely recommend this for anyone that is looking for a non stressful Sunday afternoon drive. I believe that a stock Jeep could make it. It's a few miles down into the bottom of the canyon, where it dead-ends into a closed gate. It's more scenic than challenging. There are a couple of buildings at the bottom that are in pretty bad shape (rumor has it that the Forest Service is contemplating tearing these down? Possible liability reasons?). My son Jake - 8 years old - spotted a rattle snake as it was cruising underneath one of the buildings, and we could all hear it. We also saw a few deer and of course, some lizards! lol A little further past these buildings there is an old campground that looks like it hasn't been used in a LONG time.

Again, this is not really a challenging run, but I haven't heard much talk about it here, so I thought I'd post it up. Could definitely be a 'fun run' in a stock rig.

EDIT: Anyone else that has done this run, and know any history about the buildings, etc.?
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8604

Post #3

Malachi, Cherokee People, Kartic Crew, Tony and myself did the Pipes Canyon run on 5-6-07.

I don't know the history of the buildings...but as soon as the land they sit on is deeded back to the USFS they are scheduled for removal.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8604

Post #3

Malachi, Cherokee People, Kartic Crew, Tony and myself did the Pipes Canyon run on 5-6-07.

I don't know the history of the buildings...but as soon as the land they sit on is deeded back to the USFS they are scheduled for removal.
      Thanks...missed that one! Great pics. Thanks for pointing those out to me. :thumbs_up
      -Bob
      '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

wow, I was just 1/2 a mile from there friday, and forgot all about this trail
        thanks for waking me up, I gotta get back up there
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Oddly enough I was talking to one of the guys here on the base about going up pipes canyon; but pointed out that there is a gate that stops you coming up from pioneer town. He told me of a trail through "Brice Canyon" (?) that has no gates. I don't know if it is an official, or even legal trail as I've never heard of it before. Has anyone else heard of this trail?
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I haven't heard of Brice Canyon (other than the one in Utah), but Burns Canyon Road comes up from the Pioneertown area. I think the route number is 2N02. If this is the road that he is referring to, it comes up on the East side of the the Heartbreak Ridge trail and joins with 3N03 near Tip Top Mtn (2N90). I have only driven part of it and it was a dusty but easy trail that you can make pretty good time on.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Burns Canyon, I will look into my hearing and let you know. This trail is a stocker to 2wd trail huh? Well, it may shave some time off of my trip up the mountain!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
                Burns Canyon, I will look into my hearing and let you know. This trail is a stocker to 2wd trail huh? Well, it may shave some time off of my trip up the mountain!
                accordig to one of my books, Burns canyon is a basicly 2wd road that runs from the east side up to the Big Bear area. says it is a quick access, in the book the best 20 trails of the SBNF
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

I think my friends need a new GPS or update their software.

A couple guys at work told me they just went up to BB on Brice Canyon trail, and there was no way they'd be getting up there without 4wd. Started in Pioneer Town and up to BB City. I told them they were probably on Burns Canyon (as discussed here) but they said their GPS told them they were on "Brice Canyon" 2N02. I'm sure there is some kind of mix up that will require me to drive up there myself.

After all, we are nothing if not thourough.

Comment

I beleive this is close to Rattlesnake canyon trail? Search didn't bring up any info for Rattesnake cyn, anyone familiar? I have seen pics and it looks like easy fun.

Comment

I belive someone's GPS is wrong. 2N02 is Burn's Canyon Road. It runs from Rimrock on the east(just n/w of Pioneertown Road and Pipes Canyon Road near Yucca Valley) and extends to the west to Baldwin Lake Road. Rattlesnake Canyon runs north and south from Hwy 247 near Johnson Valley on the north and travels up the canyon and mountain to the south ending at Burns Canyon Road 2N02. I haven't driven these roads,but 2N02 is supposed to be an easy dirt road and Rattlesnake Canyon has some deeper sand sections as it climbs uphill through the stream bed.

Mitch - great88

Comment

I'm not sure about rattlesnake canyon...hopefully someone will post up something about it.

However, I did take BURNS Canyon...I'll say again, BURNS Canyon up to Big Bear and back down on Saturday. 2N02 is just what Malachi described below. A mostly graded road with a few undulating areas that make a car think twice about traveling down the road. I think I would try to take my 2wd Ford Escape up it next time, but only in the company of one of the Jeeps. There are quite a few side trax that we didn't go down yet, but possibly in the near future.

I have a .gpx file of the route, but currently am not subscribed to MJR so I cannot upload it yet. I also have the .kml file [google earth] if anyone wants it. The image below was copied from my google earth of the track.

[SIZED]http://images26.fotki.com/v935/filewH4t/6dd6e/9/9459/4116941/2N02BurnsCyn.jpg[/SIZED]

I wasn't able to go out towards Pipes Canyon to get coordinates for the lower gate as it was getting dark and 'Hector' decided to develop one hell of a miss in the engine and I was worried about getting stranded. Perhaps next time.

Comment

Nick,

If you look 1/3 of the way across the top of your google post (at the white dot) that is Rattlesnake Canyon going north to south. I belive that "Desert Jewel" led a run up Rattlesnake Canyon last year with Victor Valley Four Wheelers.
                          Last edited by Mitch; 07-16-07, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                            I belive someone's GPS is wrong. 2N02 is Burn's Canyon Road. It runs from Rimrock on the east(just n/w of Pioneertown Road and Pipes Canyon Road near Yucca Valley) and extends to the west to Baldwin Lake Road. Rattlesnake Canyon runs north and south from Hwy 247 near Johnson Valley on the north and travels up the canyon and mountain to the south ending at Burns Canyon Road 2N02. I haven't driven these roads,but 2N02 is supposed to be an easy dirt road and Rattlesnake Canyon has some deeper sand sections as it climbs uphill through the stream bed.

Mitch - great88
                            Is Ratlesnake marked off of the 247 or do you have to know what you are looking for? THanks

Comment

I went a couple of miles up Rattlesnake Canyon in January this year (before locker/lift/33's). I don't remember any sign at the turn off. I just followed this on google and these are the coordinates as I see them. From Hwy247 go south @
                              34 22'12.40"N 116 39'01.93"W (3115ft). go south to
                              34 20'23.35"N 116 41'22.84"W (3780ft) merge right away from the 2 ranches and go to the main sand wash @
                              34 20'38.82" 116 41'55.04"W (3690ft) go left (south) into the sand wash and travel up to the canyon, picking trails among the rocks and sand. Continue up Rattlesnake Canyon in the stream bed.

Comment

Working...
                              X