Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Desert Roundup

Was a nice event as alway
    we ran the devils loop, ran into the organised deviks loop run and had a nice time chatting with them a while.
    spent 4 hours exploring a few new canyons out there and generally had a blast

censored for having an opinion

Nice shots! I didn't see any MJR stickers on Jeeps or an MJR banner anywhere or I would have stopped in and said "hello."
    My kids and I went on the "pumpkin eater" trail. We met some nice folks and saw some nice machinery. Other than the intoxicated guy in a yellow YJ - NOT part of the group - beating his Jeep until it laid on it's side asking for mercy, the run was challenging and enjoyable.
    It's interesting to watch how people with differant levels of vehicle build-up approach an obstacle. Some are cautious, others are full of pride and sometimes end up on the end of a winch cable.
    All in All it was worth the effort to spend some time out in the desert!
    Money pit!

Comment

Nice! Looks like I'll have to attend the next one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
        Nice shots! I didn't see any MJR stickers on Jeeps or an MJR banner anywhere or I would have stopped in and said "hello."
        My kids and I went on the "pumpkin eater" trail. We met some nice folks and saw some nice machinery. Other than the intoxicated guy in a yellow YJ - NOT part of the group - beating his Jeep until it laid on it's side asking for mercy, the run was challenging and enjoyable.
        It's interesting to watch how people with differant levels of vehicle build-up approach an obstacle. Some are cautious, others are full of pride and sometimes end up on the end of a winch cable.
        All in All it was worth the effort to spend some time out in the desert!
        I was on the same Pumpkin Eater run. I stayed with the group after we lost more than half of the 25 rigs that began the day. That yahoo in the yellow YJ really slowed us down. He got a 2nd flat heading out of P.E. and was stuck on a small hill for hours. I did see him pulling out of HDR on Sunday morning, YJ on a trailer not looknig too good.

I wish I'd had my MJR hat but I had the Charger one on instead. I had the black 04 Rubicon and was towards the rear most of the day. I thought the only other MJR guys were on Achy Breaky.

The Desert Dawgs were great leading the run. Despite the fact that every Jeep that tried to make it up that waterfall had to get winched, each time a new one tried they were there to stack rocks and try it again. (One really nicely geared Toyota walked right up it.)

The weather for the event was perfect and so was the company.

Dave

Comment

I had my MJR hat on part of the day
          also had it on when I went looking for the MJR camp around 3 on Saturday
          oh well, it is a big desert
          let's se more pics
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Well....The quasi-MJR camp was more or less south of the main tent. It was I with the MJR banner on my F-150. Russ arrived late Friday night after running Miller. Even if someone saw the banner, we were out running trails all weekend and were never really at camp. But all in all, great HDR once again.

Comment

i was in the group that was on devils loop that passed you. we went on pumpkin eater eariler today for the first time. me and my dad were not able to make the water fall but are friend in a zuk buggy made it with very little trouble.

Comment

A Good Run

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
                Nice! Looks like I'll have to attend the next one for sure.
                Friday's night run left my jeep with a four inch slice through one of my tires and a flash light that was never returned to me. Saterday "desert jewel" broke a rear axle. Sunday's
                Calico run went well for all with gate keeper's usual carnage with someone who was not in our group. Paul with his white cherokee went down through gate keeper with success. All in all it was a good weekend.
                "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  Well....The quasi-MJR camp was more or less south of the main tent. It was I with the MJR banner on my F-150. Russ arrived late Friday night after running Miller. Even if someone saw the banner, we were out running trails all weekend and were never really at camp. But all in all, great HDR once again.
                  Jason, I believe we were west of the main registration tent, just west of the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers camp.

Trip Report:

I ran the Achey Breaky Trail with Jason on Saturday. We took a rather long lunch break because the green TJ that was two rigs ahead of my khaki TJ broke a rear axle:

Since I had a spare with me, I offered to lend it to them and we decided to replace it right there.

Here's the owner posing with his trophy. His name is Dick (I don't have his last name) and I believe he is with the San Diego 4 Wheelers:

Additional Damage Reports: I "tweaked" my front bumper

Jason broke a shock absorber bolt:

I learned when I got back to camp that Julie (Desert Jewel) broke her right axle on the El Diablo run, but I do not have any pictures of her carnage.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by dhsundance View Post
                    I was on the same Pumpkin Eater run. I stayed with the group after we lost more than half of the 25 rigs that began the day. That yahoo in the yellow YJ really slowed us down. He got a 2nd flat heading out of P.E. and was stuck on a small hill for hours. I did see him pulling out of HDR on Sunday morning, YJ on a trailer not looknig too good.

I wish I'd had my MJR hat but I had the Charger one on instead. I had the black 04 Rubicon and was towards the rear most of the day. I thought the only other MJR guys were on Achy Breaky.

The Desert Dawgs were great leading the run. Despite the fact that every Jeep that tried to make it up that waterfall had to get winched, each time a new one tried they were there to stack rocks and try it again. (One really nicely geared Toyota walked right up it.)

The weather for the event was perfect and so was the company.

Dave
                    That's ironic that you were just a few vehicles ahead of me in the line-up. I was driving the red YJ and wearing my "Australian-Outback" hat. At one point I was helping to stack rocks for everybody trying to climb the H2O fall.
                    I was REALLY impressed with the Toyota truck and it's ability to simply idle up the waterfall--very impressive!
                    The guy with the super built white & blue Cherokee seemed to have all the right equipment on his Jeep except a working pair of ears. If you said go right then he'd go left, and stop meant keep on going. Whatever......I gues if you know that you are not going to break anything then I guess you just do your own thing.

I can't believe that guy in the yellow YJ was at the event later on. He was an absolute IDIOT! He couldn't even find his way back down the hill w/o trying to kill himself or his Jeep!
                    Money pit!

Comment

Thanks Russ for the picture of the broken shock mount. Now I can finally install the new mounts I have in my garage. At the same time, I get to install the new D-30 u-bolts with some skid plates.
                      On Sunday, we hooked up with the Victor Valley folks and ran Odessa backwards I believe. While playing around, I got high centered on a rock and had to get the dreaded strap from Kodiak JP. I also received a new pretty beauty mark on the passenger side fender during my street-widening project. Some wall just jumped right out in front of me.
                      Finally, as if I needed any more to fix, coming down the waterfall sections, I broke one of the U-bolts when I was sliding down slowly. Made a rather large PING! And I went 'UH-OH! What now?' Good thing we were much done, as I really didn't wish to have the axel start moving around. Got back to camp and inspected the damage. Tightened the 3 remaining nuts on the spring plate and used a bungie cord to hold up the shock.
                      Stayed for the raffle but alas, didn't win anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                        Jason, I believe we were west of the main registration tent, just west of the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers camp.
                        You're right Russ. Woke up every morning with sun rising up over the main tent. That would put us West. :doh

Comment

Nice pics guys. Sorry I missed this one.:sad:
                          Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                            Additional Damage Reports: I "tweaked" my front bumper
                            Sorry to hear about all the carnage. Russ, I have a stock front bumper that you can have if you want it.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Did the night run, which was spooky great, we had two guys loose a tire that night, one lost a steering box, and one jeep had his dog drop it in "D" and takeoff across the desert in the dark! somebody asked on the CB, "doesn't that jeep have brakes?" and someone else replied, "yeah, but the dog can't reach the pedals!"

Had a great time wheeling EL DIABLO with everyone, untill Julie got into it with Desert Jewel on a crazy hillclimb and exploded her right rear axle... Her jeep was so crazy off camber when she went to get out, she fell out! So we had to fix Desert Jewel saturday, (Axle and brake cylinder) and that pretty much killed the day... but it was GREAT!

Sunday we ran up Odessa and down Doran after watching a guy in a really nice blue YJ sit upside down in the gate keeper. Had a great time wheeling with Jason, He takes all the tough lines he can find!

Paul almost FUBAR'd his rig coming down gate keeper, but he didn't so that was way cool. he did get dowsed with the cooler when he was sitting nose down though, at some crazy almost flipping end over end angle... in his cherokee...

And I won a raffle prize!!!
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X