Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder and Bronco Peak

We hit Bronco Peak this weekend. 4 XJ's, 1 YJ and 1 TJ. Lots of fun, little on the difficult side. We're thinking of taking Bronco from the campground back next weekend, not sure though. I think the toughest part was right at the end where you get off camber to get around a tree and it just feels like you're going to flop.

Here's a video my friend made, enjoy. I'm in the Silver XJ.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60255924&hl=en

watchin the video..... i love these trails!!!

I cant wait to go again already been twice. some of those turns i wish i had my 2low still but the 4:1 helps soooo much
    Last edited by miguelitojeep97; 05-21-07, 08:37 PM.
    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

With the front locker and longer wheelbase, some of those turns were like 60 points for me. Neither of us are doing much next weekend, list of Honey-do's, so I may sneak off for an afternoon. Haven't decided yet.

Comment

Great Video! I haven't been to these trails yet, but it won't be long before I do. Your vid makes me wanna skip work and drive down tonight for a morning run! Too bad I gotta work to pay for all the upgrades I want. :wink:
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

BTW, How many hours did it take you to run both trails?

[/COLOR]

Comment

solo it took me about 1.5, 2 tops and that includes a lunch break. fairly short and did i mention super fun!!!
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
              solo it took me about 1.5, 2 tops and that includes a lunch break. fairly short and did i mention super fun!!!
              Cool! So, in theory, it could be ran both ways in a full day? Also, are there good winch points? I only have 32s and a two inch lift. But lockers, armored bits and a winch can take me many places. Do you think I would need it?

[/COLOR]

Comment

you should be fine. look at my profile. i did this the first time with no damage at all. really fun. if you do sidewinder backwards its really fun cuz you go up the big rock waterfally/ledge. but seriously maybe June 1st I can take you there!! I left last time around 930am and did both trails, ate lucnh and was back home in PB by like 230pm. let me know

but to answer your question most of the hard spots are on bronco peak and they are down hill. Unless you do it from the campground then you might need a winch but only if you are in serious danger, most of it you will be cool

Comment

I think to go up it, you'll need a front locker or winch. Not too much in the way of winching points. Mostly small trees and stuff. Lots of burnt stuff still. If you have front/rear lockers on 32's you should be ok. Someone has stacked rocks as can be seen at 16:00 in the video. Not sure if we're going to go back and drive it W-E or not. It can be done both ways in a day. We got there at 9am, and waited for everyone to show until about 10am before we started. You'll also have to consider other groups out there. There was a Toyota group all IFS, a couple of lockers having issues on Sidewinder. Of course, we were stopping and shooting lots of video also. The worse part of BP was getting around that tree at the bottom where you see mike get tippy, and then just gun it to get out.

Comment

Thanks...great video. Yup Bronco Peak was a bit to bite off for us as well. Still all in all fun stuff. I am still wondering though, if my open diff jeep could make Sidewinder. Maybe goin to have to take Kurt along to pull me through the tough spots.
                    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                    (Charles Wells)

Comment

The only tough spot on sidewinder is at about 8 minutes in the video, and it has a bypass as you can see by the YJ.
                      The black jeep with red doors in the video has an open front diff, something about it being his excuse. He's done sidewinder multiple times. If you have 1 locker you're probably more than good to go, I think it could be done open open. However with that said, things are soo much easier with two lockers.

I think Broco Peak is by far harder than Sidewinder. We were completely through Sidewinder in about an hour. I don't think it's even a mile long. Coming down Bronco peak presented a few spots where the pucker factor kicked in, off camber having to go over a rock on the high side etc... Around 10:30 in the video, you had a choice, either take the straighter route over the rocks, or go to the left and then have to make a tighter turn. I took the rocks and had an oh &*&^*! moment.

I did give the newer XJ a tug when they high centered it as they were on street tires and open in front.

Comment

Working...
                      X