Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping in Afton Canyon

To bpldly go, where others fear to tread. Had two friends show up to join us, the Calico Kid, and KiwiWayne from L.A. Started off with a trail ride Saturday into the dunes, and to Wayne and John up and down some pretty steep sand hills. The kind that are way to steep to climb up. We headed down the Mojave road to an old mining area where there were old railroad tracks with hand made rock walls lining the tracks. No mortar holding these wall together. Just hand stacked with chips of rock to keep them all in line. That somebody could stack a wall like this so straight without mortar is dedication. We headed down toward the afton canyon camp ground where we found about 20 turkey vultures riding the thermals. We hit a puddle of water balls out to give everyone a cooling off experience. While we were in the valley we stopped and got to see Big horn sheep going up the shere walls of the canyon. We continue on and found a water crossing about 30-40 feet wide, about 3 foot deep. Leading the way we crossed slowly, and all made it until my Son decided to hammer into the water. He made it about 15 feet until his Jeep died. We towed him out and then finally figured out that He'd hydro locked the engine. Intake was full of water. We pulled the plugs and cranked it over, and water shot out of the rear cylinder about 5 feet like a water hose. Took a while but we finally got it running. While we were working on it, the kids were having fun swimming in the cool water. Drove out to the 15 Fwy, and got drinks at the little store, then went looking for Indian markings that John knew about, further down the Mojave road. Finally we started back and headed for Spooky canyon ( or what I call the Butt crack) that is an earthquake fault to explore.Unfortunately while crossing the water again, Waynes Jeep died. Turns out that he was going to slow and water filled his exhaust, and the engine couldn't breathe. Out came the strap again. After that we headed back toward camp with some more timnday we had breakfast and headed back to the dunes to play in the sand where everybody got a chance to get the strap while getting high center on the peaks of the dunes. Kids played with their Qauds in the sand and had a ball. Wished more had showned up as I had games planned for mothers day. Good warm days, and cool nights, good friens, with cold beer in the evenings. Who could ask for more,Kevin

Sounds like fun; love them water crossings. Any pics?

Later this year I'm planning to run the Mojave road and camp there myself. Thanks for the write-up.

Comment

No pictures, but I'm getting better, I brought the camera to take pictures, but left it in the motorhome when we left on the trail ride. But hey, I brought it with me. LOL. Sorry my post didn't come out right , don't know what I did wrong, Kevin.

Comment

Man I wish it would have worked out for me to go! Turned out my family was sick all weekend, so it's just as good we didn't try it. Sounds like another place I've got to see.
        Mat

Comment

It was alot of fun. Our trail ride lasted around 8 hours, so it was a long day. I know about being sick, been in bed all day, and my partner has it also. But I have to run out to Holbrook, Az at 6 tonight. Going to be miserable, may as well be at work. Save the sick days for play,LOL, Kevin.

Comment

camping in afton canyon

Kevin Thank You Very Much To You And Your Family I Had A Great Time. Those Sand Dunes Were Awesome.now I Know What Tow Straps Are For. And Kevin Showed Me What Seat Belts Are Made For. Everyone Who Didnt Come Out Missed Out On Good People ,good Weather ,good Wheeling And One Hell Of A Good Time. Sorry To Hear Youre Sick Get Well Soon And Lets Go Out Exploring Soon. Wayne

Comment

Hey Wayne, thanks for coming out. Always good to spend time with friends. Sorry for the airborn ride over the dune. When I backed off of the throttle I expected it to slow down, but, what can I say. Opps. At least we know that the cruiser can take a serious jump and survive. LOL, Kevin.

Comment

Sorry for the airborn ride over the dune. When I backed off of the throttle I expected it to slow down,

Soooo, airing out the old Yota are we??
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Fun In The Dunes

No Need To Apologise Kevin It Was All Good Fun. Kevin Gave Me A Ride Up Some Steep Dune Sides That The Little 4 Banger With 31s Couldnt Quite Make It Up
                  Last edited by kiwiwayne; 05-16-07, 07:23 PM. Reason: trIED TO PUT PICTURE BUT IM COMPUTOR ILLITERATE

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                    Sorry for the airborn ride over the dune. When I backed off of the throttle I expected it to slow down,

Soooo, airing out the old Yota are we??
                    Hey Rat, where were you? Thought you wanted to learn the area. Yeah, got a little zealous going up a sand hill. Real peaked at the top, so I hit it a little hard so I wouldn't get high center. no problem on getting high center when you just jump the damn thing.LOL Just like a Timex, took a licking, and kept on ticking, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                    X