Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates & Dead Ends = San Gabriel Mtns

Weird Day! I went Jeeping alone because Sharon had an outting that she had to attend. So I thought that I would just explore the Eastern San Gabriel Mtns since they are close to my house.

I now know why I spend most of my time in the San Bernadino Mtns, it is because of gates and dead ends! The San Gabriel Mtns seem to be full of them!

Here's how my day went:

From an ATV play area near my house, I found a trail that headed up into the mtns. There were some great views along the way but the fun ended when the trail came to a 15 foot drop!

From the tree growth in the creek bed, I would say that the trail had washed out many years ago. The trail could be continued but only if you were on a motorcyle.

Having no luck by just striking out on my own, I used the "Backcountry Adventures" book by Massey & Wilson to find my way past Wrightwood in search of the Pinyon Ridge Trail. Winding my way down Big Pines Highway, I found the beginning of 4N12 which leads to the Pinyon Ridge:

It was a beautiful day with a crisp coolness and a strong smell of pine boughs at the beginning of the trail. I had high hopes for what was ahead. Unfortunately, just half a mile into the trail, I was stopped by a gate!:

So I tried a different approach. Since the trail has an entrance from State Hwy 2, I went to the 4N11 trailhead. Again, I was met by a gate!:

Not having any luck here, I flipped a page in the book and found the Upper Lytle Creek Ridge Trail. So I headed back down Lone Pine Canyon road to 3N31. Since I was back in the San Bernardino Forest, the gate was open. :wink:

The first right turn was unmarked (I later learned that it was 3N31A) but it led to a great campsite overlooking the Lone Pine Canyon:

The best campsite is at the top of a steep climb. I am guessing that this is an unauthorized road:

I made my way down 3N33 to the 3N06 trail.

I had tried to climb 3N06 a few weeks ago but ran into a fallen tree. 3N06 goes up the back side of San Antonio peak to the Top of the Notch. At that time the gate to the top was gone, probably due to the winter storms. When I got there this time, a shiney new gate was in place:

Okay... the day is fading and I am tired of seeing blocked trails. I check the map and find that 3N06 has a A, B, and D spur (C is a short spur that leads to a yellow post campsite that you can see from the main trail). I never could find the trailhead to the D spur, but with a little luck, I found the B spur.

3N06B turned out to be a gem of a trail. It is long for a spur! From 3N06, it is about 2.5 miles up a tree filled wash. Path-finding is not always obvious but if you just keep heading uphill in the wash, you will find tracks. After about 2 miles you come to a yellow post campsite. The trail goes on, but you will need a narrow vehicle to explore it. There are two gatekeepers to cross before you get to the rock garden at the top:

The grotto at the top is worth staying for a while. See the rest of my pics, for photos.

After working my way back down 3N06B, I found 3N06A to explore. The USFS has marked it as a Moderate trail. This is mostly due to the loose rock climb that leads to the Coldwater campground:

At the campground I found another gate, but this time it was open! You gotta love the San Bernardino Forest Service! The trail lead to a dead end, but what a view!:

All-in-all, it was a good day. Despite the gates and dead ends, the San Gabriel Mtns have some wonderful places.

All the photos can be seen here:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...-07/?start=all
    Last edited by Mike; 05-07-07, 12:08 AM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Too bad about all the gates, but it still looks like a great time! Some of those views are amazing! Good finds! Thanks for sharing!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Outstanding. great report...wow neat pictures of places to see. The view. nice place for lunch.
      Were all the gates locked, I read somewhere not all the gates are locked just closed. Just a thought here, maybe Jeff could enlighten me. The gate that goes to Chariot Mine down here by Banner is closed but not locked.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
        Outstanding. great report...wow neat pictures of places to see. The view. nice place for lunch.
        Were all the gates locked, I read somewhere not all the gates are locked just closed. Just a thought here, maybe Jeff could enlighten me. The gate that goes to Chariot Mine down here by Banner is closed but not locked.
        All but one was locked. The gate at the top of 3N06A was closed but not locked.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          All but one was locked. The gate at the top of 3N06A was closed but not locked.
          You should have called me, I would have gone with you
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
            You should have called me, I would have gone with you
            I would have enjoyed the company! I will get you a call next time.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Even with all the closesd gates it had to be better than working at home.
              :wink:

Comment

There's atill a washed out area on 3N06, the trail is way to narrow and off camber to be open the public (so the new gate is locked).

As soon as the two AAT's that maintain that trail get the area filled in, the gate should open back up again. Nice trail BTW - leads up to Baldy Notch and the top of the ski lift.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Ok, I got a clarification on the gate on 3N06 from one of our Area Coordinators for the Cajon area.

The gate is normally locked (and will stay locked) at the request of the Mt Baldy ski folks - evidentally there's a huge problem with vandalism at Baldy Notch, as well as a lot of "off road abuse" in the area.

_However_, if MJR would like to run the trail, it's adopted "in total" with the rest of the 3N06 trails by both the OHV Volunteers and ROC (AAT), so access could be arranged.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

nice write up and pic's, I enjoyed, thanks!
                    Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                      Ok, I got a clarification on the gate on 3N06 from one of our Area Coordinators for the Cajon area.

The gate is normally locked (and will stay locked) at the request of the Mt Baldy ski folks - evidentally there's a huge problem with vandalism at Baldy Notch, as well as a lot of "off road abuse" in the area.

_However_, if MJR would like to run the trail, it's adopted "in total" with the rest of the 3N06 trails by both the OHV Volunteers and ROC (AAT), so access could be arranged.
                      Cool! Thanks Jeff. I may organize a run if I can convince a Volunteer Leader to join us for gate access. Maybe we can plan to eliminate any "vandalism" that we find along the way and influence the Mt. Baldy ski folks that off roaders are not all bad.

[/COLOR]

Comment

There's a trail on the North side of the mountains, up the hill from Crystal Aire. At the end of the road up in the canyon, there is a prison facility (juvi hall kind of thing I think) and a Boy Scout camp. At the end of that road is a gate that is blocking what I hear is a great wheeling trail. I talked to a ranger up there one day who told me it may not open to wheeled traffic again because of extreme erosion. I hiked a bit up the road, and what I saw makes me want to wheel back there so bad. One of these days I want to go find a back way into the area. The other end of the trail supposedly comes out somewhere over near Mnt. Wilson or that general area. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has any good intel, pass it along, please.

Kurt

Kurt
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          There's a trail on the North side of the mountains, up the hill from Crystal Aire. At the end of the road up in the canyon, there is a prison facility (juvi hall kind of thing I think) and a Boy Scout camp. At the end of that road is a gate that is blocking what I hear is a great wheeling trail. I talked to a ranger up there one day who told me it may not open to wheeled traffic again because of extreme erosion. I hiked a bit up the road, and what I saw makes me want to wheel back there so bad. One of these days I want to go find a back way into the area. The other end of the trail supposedly comes out somewhere over near Mnt. Wilson or that general area. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has any good intel, pass it along, please.

Kurt

Kurt
                          I think that the trail that you are talking about is the trail that I was trying to get in the Wrightwood area. The state prison facility in the area is Camp Fenner and I think the trail that you are referring to is 4N11. Apparently you can get to the prison via Big Rock Creek road on the North side of the mtns, but the section from the prison to Hwy 2 is closed. Too bad, it sounds like a great trail!

[/COLOR]

Comment

After I spoke to some OHV Volunteers that worked the Lytle Creek area, they told me that 3N06D spur was still considered active and that it started near the gate on 3N06. My wife and I decided to try to find it and see what was in the area. I found the area that they referred me to, but it didn't look like a trail from the trailhead:

We traveled up what was the path of least resistance, but path-finding was not always obvious:

Even when there was a path, it was very faint:

After we went to a point that just seemed too far, we found a faint two track path to what was once a regular campsite:

It had all the features of a Yellow Post camp site but no yellow post was found. We made our way back down the canyon and headed home. I am still not sure that we were truly on 3N06D, but the trip was enjoyable and very beautiful. The top of 3N06B is still my favorite in the area, but today was not a bad run.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I love those kinds of trails. Feels like you are exploring all new areas. Must have been nice up there.
                              "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                              (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                              X