Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Chance Canyon

This last weekend was the Last Chance Canyon trip where we ventured out with another club. There were about 12 rigs on the Saturday run and 11 on the Sunday run. They were very nice when we arrived and helped us find a good place for the tent. Once all setup we went and visited with them around the campfire. Around 9:00 pm we retired. Both of us had a great night sleep. Although, I did wake up a couple times to the coyotes yippin' and howlin' when they caught something...scary!
    The Saturday run left at 9:00 am so we had plenty of time to cook breakfast and get our Jeeps ready for the run. We headed up some trail that took us up on a ridge that had an awesome view. When coming down it lead us to a nice little step they called the "Intimidation Wall". Jesse and I just walked up it, but it was a fun little "diddy" amongst the flat terrain. Then we headed up another one that was fairly steep and just kept going up and up and up. It came down around the old house, that people have truly managed to destroy, and then continued to the Burrow Schmidt mine, where we had lunch. A few brave souls ventured in the mine, Jesse (Kodiak Spirit) being one to them. After lunch we traveled down and continued thru some slightly bumpy terrain, with a few rocks off and on, to a place called the narrows. It began with an old house, guess house and usable old outhouse with toilet paper!! The house has a sign in book, furniture, appliances and fireplace. There is actually a letter on the wall for the people you can contact if you would like to stay there for a vacation or something. The narrows were pretty fun. Lots of rocks and tiny obstacles to maneuver around. At the end there was one step about 4 feet high. The first couple rigs had problems getting up until the one found the right line. It was really interesting to watch. I was going take the bypass, but after seeing some of the other rigs on the right line, I tried it out. The first try, I was off on the angle so I backed up and started over....went right up and over like it was nothing!!! Desert Jewel made me proud! Jesse was after me and, of course, he just walked up it. We got back to camp around 6:00 pm. Nine hours of trail made for a very long day. Oh! I forgot to mention, it was windy and extremely cold all day. We cooked our dinner then headed to bed.
    The night was slightly longer because of the weather that rolled in. It was extremely windy and at times we felt like our tent was going to blow away with us in it! A couple times I woke and saw flashes of lightning. Was really neat. We woke up and the mountains had snow on them, with it still snowing. So incredibly beautiful. Seeing the weather heading our way, we broke up camp and loaded up the Jeeps. Of course, the weather let us do this until it was time to take down the tent and then it decided to downpour on us. Was quite fun! The Sunday run was more a moderate trail with some good obstacles. We did a trail called "Pole 19" led by a guy named John in a Toyota Tacoma 4 door with a shell on the back. He described the trail as having 4 waterfalls to go up, each getting slightly tougher. The 5th waterfall was a "winch only" climb for Jeeps because they just can't make it up...and there is no bypass. I was a little leery, so I chose to follow Jesse this time. We started out taking Last Chance Canyon backwards, then traveling on the road for about a mile to the head of Pole 19. Jesse and I were right behind John, the trail leader so once we got thru, we could walk back and watch everyone else. The first waterfall was a little "step" that everyone got thru quite easily. The second one was a little bigger, but, again, no issues. The third one, wasn't big or anything, but it did have a bit of a catch to it that caused me to have a little bit of difficulty getting up because of no front lockers. Once I got the right angle, up I went! The fourth one, was a nice size crawl, but once again, everyone made it thru without any issues. Then we came to the last one. The big "wincher". John, the leader, had a few issues getting up it, but did make it up after a few tries. (There was a big boulder at the bottom middle that you had to go around to get to the bottom of the step. This step was about 12 feet tall.) Now it's Jesse's turn. He chose to go around the boulder on the passenger side. He gave it a good couple tries from that angle, bumpin' and bouncin', but the Kodiak Spirit just couldn't get a good grip at top. His rear tire saved him from flippin' backwards more then once!!! John, has now brought out his tow strap, making sure Jess sees it....you know what that meant!! Jess, backed up and tried approaching it from the driver side of the boulder. Two attempts and he was up!!! No strap, no winch - a Jeep made it up!! (Meanwhile, while everyone was watching Jesse, I had hooked up my winch cable and had it hanging thru my window.) Next was me. Everyone was rootin' me on. I pulled up, driver side of the boulder. Slowly climbed the waterfall until Jesse could reach the winch cable. I stopped, yelled out the window: "Ok Jess, grab the winch and hook it to your Jeep." Everyone was shocked!! We hooked up the cable and I winched and drove the Desert Jewel right on up and over!! Very easy and no damage!! We watched the rest come thru, bouncin' and bumpin', almost flippin'. A couple of them were winched, but most made it thru. It was really fun to watch!
    Afterwards, we followed them till we came to a road that led us back out of the canyon so we could head home. Said our goodbyes and thank yous for such a wonderful weekend and were on way!
    Here are a few pic's:

more pics!
    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Any chance you could give more info on where Pole 19 trail is located? When you say backwards on LCC I presume you mean uphill to the north? I've been there many times, but can't recall seeing that trail.

Thanx, Bill

ps - you must have an unusual definition of "easy".

Comment

How do you get to this last chance canyon? I've heard of it, any driving directions from Hesperia? Kevin

Comment

These are the directions to where we camped. It's on the backside of the mountain.

Take 395 North to Red Mountain, go through Johannesburg, 1 mile take left on Redrock/Randsburg Road to Randsburg. At the green sign Mojave 41 go right. Go 8 miles to railroad tracks. Go straight at the stop sign. You are still on Redrock/Randsburg Road. Go 12 miles to stop sign, take a hard right onto Route 14. Go about 15 miles to 4 billboards. Between the 2 on the right side there is a dirt road. Turn right on to this road. Go 1 mile. It will be marked EP15. There is an open area on the right for camping. If you keep following EP15 you will come to signs that give directions for different trails, including Last Chance Canyon.

The pictures are not from Last Chance Canyon trail and I am not sure which trail it actually was as we went on several different ones. The trails are pretty well marked with new signs and trailmarkers. You could spend days out there trying all the different trails!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
            These are the directions to where we camped. It's on the backside of the mountain.

Take 395 North to Red Mountain, go through Johannesburg, 1 mile take left on Redrock/Randsburg Road to Randsburg. At the green sign Mojave 41 go right. Go 8 miles to railroad tracks. Go straight at the stop sign. You are still on Redrock/Randsburg Road. Go 12 miles to stop sign, take a hard right onto Route 14. Go about 15 miles to 4 billboards. Between the 2 on the right side there is a dirt road. Turn right on to this road. Go 1 mile. It will be marked EP15. There is an open area on the right for camping. If you keep following EP15 you will come to signs that give directions for different trails, including Last Chance Canyon.

The pictures are not from Last Chance Canyon trail and I am not sure which trail it actually was as we went on several different ones. The trails are pretty well marked with new signs and trailmarkers. You could spend days out there trying all the different trails!
            Thank you, I'll have to see about getting out that way. Going to Lake Isabella tommorrow morning to go fishing with my son-in-law. Maybe I'll run down the 14 to get an idea about where its at, Kevin

Comment

When Desert Jewel said we went down LCC we were going south, down the canyon, we had gone up it last time, so that's why it was backwards for her. When we finished LCC we turned right onto redrock/randsburg road about 1.25 miles, and right again on a real small dirt road up into the pole 19 canyon. bearing right on the trail takes you into the right canyon. the trail is supposed to be 19 poles from the 14 or something, but I dunno.. as far as getting to LCC, it is just off of Redrock/Randsberg road, there is an ohv area sign... you follow the directions, but after you cross the tracks, go straight thru the stop sighn, then start looking to the right, because the canyons are all to the right..
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Cool Julie, your write a great story. Are you a book writer? Do you have any pictures of that last waterfall?
                Bob
                "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                  Cool Julie, your write a great story. Are you a book writer? Do you have any pictures of that last waterfall?
                  Bob

Hi Bob,
                  Thanks!! I am not a book writer, but do enjoy writing. Unfortunately, the pictures I do have were sent to me from a guy on the Saturday run only. I am not sure if any pictures were taken on the Sunday run. If I do come across them, I will definitely post them!
                  Jul

Comment

Jawbone Canyon Visitors' Center

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                    Thank you, I'll have to see about getting out that way. Going to Lake Isabella tomorrow morning to go fishing with my son-in-law. Maybe I'll run down the 14 to get an idea about where its at, Kevin
                    A good place to get information about the area is at the Jawbone Canyon Visitors' Center. It's at the intersection of Hwy 14 and Jawbone Canyon Road, just south of Red Rock Canyon State Park, and about 20 miles north of Mojave, CA. The center is staffed with volunteers from Friends of Jawbone and they have trail maps and books about the desert for sale.

Map of Jawbone Canyon Visitors Center

Friends of Jawbone web site
                    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                    KI6MLU

Comment

What are the directions to this trail. We have been all over the El Paso's and I do not recognize the pictures but they look awesome!!! I would like to do this run tomorrow if I can get the directions

Thanks Matt

Comment

Originally posted by WAM View Post
                        ps - you must have an unusual definition of "easy".

That looks just like a Russ Chung easy run!
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post

I agree!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                            All the rigs got through with only an occasional strap or winch and were still running under their own power at the end, so it must've been an easy run!
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

yeah, it was a "rookie run" allright, but lotsa sceanery and fun, justa few bumps in the road. There was one gal that drove the notch -both ways- and I swear that Jeep was stolen, because the only pedal she used was the skinny one...

and she didnt put a single scratch on that jeep! it was awesome...

But I'm talkin' drop the camera and run for your life action here...
                              Last edited by Kodiak Spirit; 04-21-07, 09:57 AM. Reason: forgot the positive stuff
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X