Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishpan, Larga, Holcomb & 2N83

I spent a lot of time on Saturday putting an Aussie Locker in the front end of Mr. Green (A big thank you to Rat Patrol! I had no more problems after we talked). So when some friends called on Saturday night to see if I wanted go run some trails on Sunday, it was an easy call to ditch my Sunday chores and start packing a cooler!

Jake and Mandy (Cherokee People on MJR) took both of their XJs and I met them in the Arrowhead Village in the morning. Our friend, Robert, and Mandy's dad, Dave, came along for the ride. Dave is thinking about getting a Jeep so he wanted some trail time.

We left the pavement onto 3N34 from Hooks Creek Road and went to the Deep Creek Bridge to air down.

Dishpan Springs (3N34)
    The snow that was around on our last trip up Dishpan Springs in February (see thread: Girls Day Out - Dishpan!) had all melted. The trail was clean but we found a little trash in the form of a broken U-joint at the dry falls.

Jake was first up the falls and chose to go straight up it:

But the tricky part is crossing the ruts at the top:

Mandy had driven the trail but had never driven up the falls before, so she took the left line:

Mr. Green and his new front locker made easy work of the climb, but the ruts were tougher:

Lower Larga (2N06X)
    After Dishpan, we took 3N16 past the West entrance to Holcomb Creek and over to the Lower Larga trail (2N06X). The gate keeper seems to have settled some over the winter:

But the rest of the trail was like I remembered:

The trail was clear of trash and obstructions.

West end of Holcomb Creek (3N93)
    Lower Larga ends at about the mid-way point of the Holcomb Creek trail. We went west so that we could go through both of the trail's rock gardens.

When we got to the first rock garden, we met a troop of vehicles coming the other way. The Unimog that was with them made the rock garden look like nothing more than a gravel road!:

After they cleared the garden, we started up with Dave driving and leading the way:

Jake picked a tough line and got high-centered, but a tug quickly got him going again:

The garden was a good bit tougher than when we last went through it in December. The water was flowing and the rocks were different. Both the new front and the old back lockers were put through their paces to get Mr. Green over the rocks.

The rock garden on the West end was only a little tougher than it was in December:

Edison Road (2N83)
    After finding out from a post by FishPOET that there are a couple of black diamond trails near Green Valley, we headed that way to get out. We found Edison Road (2N83) at the Crab Flats staging area.

The trail has a street legal classification that I haven't seen before. Instead of a black diamond, it has "Not Recommended". Now is that an open invitation or what!

The trail is a very short climb to the residential area on Green Valley. Most of the trip is mild but the last section has some obstacles in tough spots. The combination makes the trail very tilty to get through:

All in all, it was a good run with great friends. Unfortunately, Sharon didn't get to go which is just an excuse to do it again! Driving alone, it was tough to get very many photos. Mandy probably has better ones.

All of what I have can be viewed at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...N83%203-11-07/
    Last edited by Mike; 03-13-07, 07:36 PM. Reason: Added Photobucket link.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike,
    Glad to hear the Aussie is treating you well. It never failed me. Nice pics, and as always, love the Dishpan...

Rat
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      Mike,
      Glad to hear the Aussie is treating you well. It never failed me. Nice pics, and as always, love the Dishpan...

Rat
      Yeah, the locker works great! Thanks for everything. It is strange to get use to, but only at first. It took me a while to realize that it makes really quiet noises. I kept looking around for a new rattle :haha:

I heard you were in an accident. You and your Jeep are okay I hope!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Great trip report and pics. The area around Green Valley Lake has some of the best scenery on the mountain.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          Great trip report and pics. The area around Green Valley Lake has some of the best scenery on the mountain.
          Thanks for turning me on to the 2N83 trail. It is a much more fun way out of the trails than following the winding 3N16 path. I am looking forward to exploring more trails around the Green Valley area.

[/COLOR]

Comment

If you had posted that you were going to do this, I would have joined you!

Comment

Originally posted by stever View Post
              If you had posted that you were going to do this, I would have joined you!
              Ooo! Sorry! It was such short notice and an early AM start that I didn't even think about it. But I am interested in exploring the trails around Green Valley. FishPOET makes them sound interesting. Maybe we can plan a run in the next month or so?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                Ooo! Sorry! It was such short notice and an early AM start that I didn't even think about it. But I am interested in exploring the trails around Green Valley. FishPOET makes them sound interesting. Maybe we can plan a run in the next month or so?
                Also on my list is the Old Dale Mine Road and Gold Crown Road in Joshua Tree NP.
                http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisi...olddaleMap.pdf
                Black Eagle Mine in flat and boring. I have already done Berdoo Canyon Road, Geology Tour Road and Pinkam Canyon Road.

See http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Steve

Comment

that looks like a fun trail! thanks for sharing
                  Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubigirl View Post
                    that looks like a fun trail! thanks for sharing
                    Yup! X2!
                    Drew
                    95yj Six Pack

Comment

Coolness! Great photos!
                      My Land Rover club did the John Bull trail last year, fun little trail
                      http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=23

Stever, the Old Dale Road in JT is just a flat out hauling butt Baja style dirt road, leading up towards the Brooklyn Mine trail. Both the road and the trail are very easy. However, if you are adventurus and have a good map, going north through the BLM land in the mining district all the way through to Marine base is quite fun.

Here are a few photos of past trips:
                      - http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=19 (includes the BLM area)
                      - http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=42 (mostly Berdoo, but a few of Old Dale Road and Brooklyn Mine)
                      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

[QUOTE=nwoods;74460]Coolness! Great photos!
                        My Land Rover club did the John Bull trail last year, fun little trail
                        http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=23

Stever, the Old Dale Road in JT is just a flat out hauling butt Baja style dirt road, leading up towards the Brooklyn Mine trail. Both the road and the trail are very easy. However, if you are adventurus and have a good map, going north through the BLM land in the mining district all the way through to Marine base is quite fun.
                        QUOTE]

Thank you for the input and photographs. Wells' book made it sound like there were some good drop offs and difficult trails.

Steve

Comment

Ok I finally uploaded some pictures from Sunday's trip. I ended up with almost 100 photos from that day, so I just picked out a few of the good ones. Thanks for the other pics Mike.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...shpan-Holcomb/

Comment

Only thing better than one Cherokee is two Cherokees!!

We like this picture since it has both of our Cherokees in it. This is the first time we've gone out wheelin together with both Jeeps. Who needs a Wrangler anyway??

Comment

Originally posted by Cherokee People View Post
                              We like this picture since it has both of our Cherokees in it. This is the first time we've gone out wheelin together with both Jeeps. Who needs a Wrangler anyway??
                              Wellll.... we did discuss the possibility of my Wrangler going around Jake's XJ to winch him off the rocks. But luckily, we were able to use several straps to help pull him out with the first Jeep. We won't mention that Mr.Green went up a path that an XJ had to go around on Lower Larga, Oops! did I say that out loud?:doh

Just playin'! Wranglers and Cherokees display their prowess over and over again. Each have great strengths. It was a great day and LOTS of fun. Thanks for the photos!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X