Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillips Loop Night Run

Following the Calico Cleanup, we returned to the MJR campsite in Mule Canyon. Chef Mike (MadMike) prepares dinner while Matt and Tiff (Materdaddy) anxiously await the feast.

After dinner, four rigs made a night run over Phillips Loop. The Phillips Loop is a short, relatively easy trail, but there is one rocky stretch that required some spotting. Mike (MadMike) led the run, followed by Stuart with his wife and kids (Jeep Virgin), Matt and Tiff (Materdaddy) and myself.

This is Matt and Tiff’s TJ followed by my TJ:

Mike’s (MadMike) TJ:

Mike followed by Stuart (Jeep Virgin):

Matt and Tiff (Materdaddy) on a rocky part of the trail:

After the short night trail run, we returned to camp where we had our obligatory campfire and marshmallow roast before retiring for the night.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Awesome pics and report, Russ!! You rock!

and Mark, thanks for your kind words. We git 'er dun!! We all really appreciated the gifts you pulled from the raffle. The wood plank awards are the bomb! It was a great event, Mark, give me a call when you get a chance.

We'd also like to thank the folks at 4Wheel Parts for their effors and aid in the recovery.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

agreed!

thanks for the compliments.
        thanks for the t-shirt and meal ticket for my daughter as well.
        i have a few pics, and i'll get thos up as soon as i get a bit of free time to upload them.

it was a great event. there sure was a lot that got done out there. nice work putting such an event together.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks Mark. All in a days work for this crew. But hey! I want some free stuff I wish I could have stayed for the smores. Mmmmmm, smores and tequila...

Rat
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Wow!

Looks like it was a lot of fun and a lot of work.

Barb and I wish we could have made it, but we have a lot on our plate right now and just couldn't make it. I hope it becomes an annual event.

See you on 2N84 soon!
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

It was nice to meet everybody at the clean-up. My son (Zack) and I had a great time and can't wait till the next ride we can go on.
              1997 Sport w/ RE 3.5" SuperFlex, RE Monotubes, 33" Trxus M/T, Currie Anti-Rock, F&R Dana 44 w/ 4.10 gears, factory air lockers, QuickAir II, CB, Hi-Lift Jack.

Comment

FJ Crawlin

Good job on coordinating this event.
                Heard good reports on it all the way at the Cal4Wheel convention. I am sure if convention was not going on, you would have had more people.

If you ever have a chance to attend the Volunteer Leader and Land Stewardship (VLLS) workshop taught by Del Albright, take the time to attend.
                We have gone, and are now using some of the tools we learned there to help our club work better.

But it sounds like you did a fantastic job up at Calico though.
                We need more work like this to show all that we do care about the environment, and respect it.

Todd
                Navy-Jeepster
                Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy-Jeepster View Post
                  We need more work like this to show all that we do care about the environment, and respect it.
                  ditto.
                  03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

wow it sounds like it was great! I sure wish I could have gone but a bit far for me to travel and had to work, oh well maybe some day! thanks for the pic's and write up, almost like being there!
                    Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

My pictures (and a couple of Russ's) and a report are up on my website:

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/?page_id=246
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

that was a great run. i had a blast we pulled into barstow around 12 am sat morning and got a room. i woke up at 6 am and headed to calico to register then went back to barstow to get my wife and kids. we were assigned to mule canyon and went up the canyon and p/u trash until 12. and went to drop off what we had collected. i wanted to go up and get more but the wife and kids were tired and didnt want to go so i fiqured the best way to help was to give a hand at the dumpsters unloading the trucks that were bringing stuff down. i had a great time even if i didnt get to do much wheeling. but thats not what it was all about was it.

MJR you rock

steve

Comment

We were glad to help the cause and had fun

We joined up with the Bronco group at the Calico clean-up on the Odessa. We represented 1 of the 4 Jeeps from VV4W's and had a great time with the Broncos. We headed out in the morning to Odessa and made it thru with a few bumps, but nothing major...
                          After lunch and the raffle, 3 of us gathered up and headed back down Odessa and some cave exploration. On the way down we ran into a group of about 8 rigs, mostly HJ's, trying to go up Odessa. None of them had made the trail before and they were going in the dark. We turned around to follow, because of doubts they would conquor the run unscathed. Unfortunately, we were right and an H3 on the run got stuck on a waterfall. He suffered a bad break and the worst part is he "borrowed" his father's rig, and Dad didn't know.
                          We turned around and headed home, because he had plenty of buddies left to help. If anyone heard what happend to this group, I would love to know.

Comment

Originally posted by rubirider View Post
                            If anyone heard what happend to this group, I would love to know.
                            Here's a link to the report about the carnage on Adventure4x4.net. They did a trail repair and got him off the trail the next day:
                            http://www.adventure4x4.net/waiting/...read.php?t=681
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

It was nice to finally meet some of you from MJR at the cleanup! I really had a great time. It was amazing how much we were able to do in such a short time. Just goes to show you what participation can do!!

We were assigned to Odessa. It was really fun with my Jeep all fixed up and not having to be strapped :-) Woo-hoo!!! We picked up quite a bit of trash. I found a pile of nails and screws inside one of the tunnels just before the trailhead of Odessa. Took about 15 minutes to get them all picked up. Luckily none were in my tires.

After the raffle we went on a night run taking Mule canyon around to the back of Odessa and then went down it. That was a blast! We met up with the FJ's coming up, was a great sight and got a few chuckles out the "newbies" on a trail at night without any experience!! We're still trying to find out what happened to them.

Comment

Formal apology...

Ok, I checked the link to adventure 4x4 and now that I see what they wrote I feel like a rat

I was the Jeeper on the trail that advised them to turn around on Odessa... I talked to the trail leader and He admitted that he had never done Odessa, and so I didn't think that a night run was best for all the new and pretty FJ's in the group.

I am sorry I doubted you guys, The FJ's did great on the trail and the H3 guy broke and is a great sport about everything, He really took it well and finished the trail despite my being a Jerk. I have to say I'm sorry and they all thought I acted like a Jerk on the trail but I can't post on their BBS, so somebody will have to direct them here...

Really, I'm not usually that guy. I just didn't think that the group was in for a good time that night and I would have rather seen them turn around and try Odessa in the daylight ... but after reading their run reports, I hope they accept my apology.
                                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                                X