Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland National Forest-Palomar District

Tracy and I headed south for the weekend to explore some of the southern sections of the Cleveland National Forest along with spending some time in Julian. On Saturday we ran Palomar Divide and High Point Truck Trail.

Both roads are graded and Palomar Divide is paved for 4 miles. Highlights along the way are the Maple Lode Mine, Ware Mine and Highpoint Lookout Tower. We saw two groups of wild turkeys and a couple of deer North of the High Point Tower area. We spent Saturday afternoon and evening exploring Julian.

Old burned building near Ware Mine

Highpoint Lookout Tower

Wild Turkeys

Fresh Dutch Apple Pie

On Sunday we headed for Black Mountain Truck Trail, Lusardi Truck Trail and Santa Ysabel Creek Trail. All 3 roads are graded dirt roads. There are a couple of well rutted bypasses and an old trail leading to Rose Quartz Mine.

Black Mountain has outstanding views of Ramona and the Pamo Valley. Black Canyon Road is getting a new bridge. The old bridge built in 1913 is a historic landmark and will be saved. The dam holding Sutherland Reservoir is pretty cool.

Views from Black Mountain

Black Canyon Road Bridge

Sutherland Reservoir Dam
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Looks like a good run with some great views. Is the whole area in the "rainfall" line? Where you are in a green area, but you can see where the land starts to dry up as it turns to desert?

Good photos too. The bridge is cool, but my sick mind keeps thinking how cool it would be to crawl around on those rocks beneath it. Too bad that isn't a designated trail :haha:
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for sharing I raised a family in Ramona in the 70's 80's. Many of those closed gates back then were open.

Used to go from Ramona to Mesa Grande and out without locked gates
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

Working...
      X