Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's go wheelin'!

TRAIL RIDE INVITATION

WHERE: Rattlesnake Canyon (meet at McDonald’s off Hwy 138)

WHEN: Sunday, January 14th @ 8:00am

DETAILS: This trail is located off Hwy 247 near the Johnson Valley OHV area. It’s a bit tricky to find so we will meet at the McDonald’s parking lot located off the I-15 and the Hwy 138 exit @ 8:00am. There is a Chevron and McDonald’s there. If there’s nobody at the vehicles, we’ll be inside having breakfast. Look for a dark blue Jeep Wrangler with black wheels and a champagne-gold Land Rover Discovery 2. We will depart from McDonald’s at 8:30am SHARP and head north on the I-15 to Hwy 18 (Apple Valley) which turns into the 247. This is an easy trail with lots of sand and a couple of rocky sections suitable for most stock 4x4’s with moderate clearance. We will have lunch at Pioneer Town. After lunch we will visit Joshua Tree National Park for a ride on the Berdoo Canyon Trail and/or Brooklyn Mine Trail. Bring your snacks & drinks for the trail, we will have lunch at the Pioneer Town restaurant/bar.

RSVP not required but is desired just so I’ll know who to look out for. My cell # is (562) 832-JEEP.

What time to you think you'll hit Berdoo Canyon?

I've wanted to drive that trail for a long time, but don't want to do it alone for obvious reasons. Won't be able to make Rattlesnake Canyon run as wife and I will be hiking in JTNP that morning. But we can link up with you at Geology Tour Road Parking (34° 0'20.10"N 116° 5'6.88"W) at Park Blvd Intersection. If that doesn't work for a meeting, lemme know what does work.

We can plan our hike out to meet up with you in the park.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
      What time to you think you'll hit Berdoo Canyon?

I've wanted to drive that trail for a long time, but don't want to do it alone for obvious reasons. Won't be able to make Rattlesnake Canyon run as wife and I will be hiking in JTNP that morning. But we can link up with you at Geology Tour Road Parking (34° 0'20.10"N 116° 5'6.88"W) at Park Blvd Intersection. If that doesn't work for a meeting, lemme know what does work.

We can plan our hike out to meet up with you in the park.
      The only potential problem with meeting up is the timing. I don't know exactly what time we'd be at the Geology Tour Road trail head, I guess sometime after lunch in Pioneer Town. Kind of hard to predict.

Comment

I don't get cell phone reception in the park very well. Not many do.

How about this. When we finish our hike, we'll head over to the parking area just off Park Blvd and see if you're there. If you've come and gone, leave a note on the exhibit board area somewhere. If we don't see it, we'll wait for you to get there. If we just can't wait any longer, we'll leave you a note on the Exhibit Board so you'll know not to wait for us. It's a shifty plan that depends on the wind not ripping our notes off.

What CB Channel will you be on?

~nick

p.s. how extreme should I be prepared for?

Comment

That's an excellent idea Nick. We'll be on channel 4. This'll be a stroll through the park, not extreme at all. Just taking it easy. Have a good hike and hopefully we'll hook up.

I don't get cell phone reception in the park very well. Not many do.

How about this. When we finish our hike, we'll head over to the parking area just off Park Blvd and see if you're there. If you've come and gone, leave a note on the exhibit board area somewhere. If we don't see it, we'll wait for you to get there. If we just can't wait any longer, we'll leave you a note on the Exhibit Board so you'll know not to wait for us. It's a shifty plan that depends on the wind not ripping our notes off.

What CB Channel will you be on?

~nick

p.s. how extreme should I be prepared for?

Comment

I think we just missed each other! Wife and I went down Berdoo on our own though. Must have looked pretty funny bundled up with no upper doors on the YJ. People all stopped and got big grins on thier faces as we passed. Suprised me how many people were on Berdoo Cyn Rd. We didnt go all the way down as we had to return to the parking area to pick up our Escape.

Sorry we missed each other, maybe if you plan to run Old Dale sometime we can hook up for that. Perhaps in the spring or summer, cuz... I'm frozen.

Comment

Hi Nick, we didn't make it to JTNP, we got held up at a resutuarant at Pionnertown - Old Pappy's I think? It took about an hour for our food to arrive. With about a couple of hours left of daylight the group decided to call it quits after our meal.

Somtimes it just doesn't work out as planned...oh well. We'll try it again another time.

-Rich

I think we just missed each other! Wife and I went down Berdoo on our own though. Must have looked pretty funny bundled up with no upper doors on the YJ. People all stopped and got big grins on thier faces as we passed. Suprised me how many people were on Berdoo Cyn Rd. We didnt go all the way down as we had to return to the parking area to pick up our Escape.

Sorry we missed each other, maybe if you plan to run Old Dale sometime we can hook up for that. Perhaps in the spring or summer, cuz... I'm frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by m1jeep View Post
                Hi Nick, we didn't make it to JTNP, we got held up at a resutuarant at Pionnertown - Old Pappy's I think? It took about an hour for our food to arrive. With about a couple of hours left of daylight the group decided to call it quits after our meal.

Somtimes it just doesn't work out as planned...oh well. We'll try it again another time.

-Rich
                Pappy and Harriets I think. Have you ever been up Pipes Canyon trail? Starts in Pioneer Town and goes up into Big Bear. I've heard rumors of a fence, but the local guys here are doubtful it's there. Maybe we could plan something when it warms up a little.

Comment

Pappy and Harriets I think. Have you ever been up Pipes Canyon trail? Starts in Pioneer Town and goes up into Big Bear. I've heard rumors of a fence, but the local guys here are doubtful it's there. Maybe we could plan something when it warms up a little.
                  A couple of us ran Rattlesnake and up Burns Canyon road (2n02) up to Big Bear...did the 2n02 loop trail and all the way to Hwy 18 and up to 3n16...no fence anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X