Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1n38

Tracy and I headed up to Big Bear on Tuesday 1-2-07. We went up Hwy 38 through Mentone. Our first goal of the day was to explore the Heart Bar area. 2N01 was closed, and not on the closure list. On to 1N38 Heart Bar Peak. No gate here so we headed up.

Narrow, rocky and steep road with a couple of tight switchbacks on the lower part.

Then the real fun started. A 500’ steep, loose and rocky section. Tracy started up and was having traction problems. We used the winch to get up that section of trail.

Once at the end of the road on the top of Heart Bar Peak we enjoyed the views of the Santa Ana River Valley and Old Greyback.

I would think that 1N38 would be dangerous and almost impassable in snow and ice conditions. Back down 1N38 and up to Maggio’s for lunch. After lunch we went in 2N02 and headed for the Rose Mine area.

From Rose Mine we headed for Viscera Springs Road. We found the connector to the switchback trail that we discovered 2 weeks earlier on our Dixie Mine Road excursion. Back out Viscera Springs Rd to Burns Canyon and into Pioneertown right at dusk.

Temps were in the mid 50’s all day in Big Bear. Another great day on the trails.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

nice, its fun to just go exploring.

Comment

Do you have a job? I see you posting run reports all the time! Wanna switch jobs/rigs? (Sorry, that's just jealousy speaking!)

Thanks for all the reports, maps, pictures, etc. Doug! My uncle keeps mentioning seeing you on a geocaching site too... he said you've hit almost everything in Big Bear... Hopefully I'll get a GPS some time this year and can start that fun as well!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I own a small trophy and engraving business in La Habra. I take 2 weeks off every year for the holidays....other than that it is just weekends with a 3 day weekend here and there.

I am very lucky that my kids are in College and doing their own thing and my girlfriend Tracy enjoys spending so much time exploring with me. We were together on the trails in our Jeep 50 days last year.

I run John Bull and Holcomb Creek once a year, but the rest of the time I like to explore all the fabulous trails that Big Bear and the SBNF has to offer. There are still many trails in the SBNF that I have yet to explore.

Geocaching taught me how to use my GPSr and many times geocaches aid in navigating trails that I have not been on. Many geocaches (especially in the SBNF) have historical data and facts included in the description and enhance our experience while exploring the trails. My So Cal 4x4 Geocaching group will be running the Bradshaw Trail (Mecca to the Colorado River) later this month.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I'm surprised that 2N01 was closed. Have you heard why? Is there snow on the route?

The Heart Bar trip looks like fun. I will try to find an excuse to run it. Do you think that it could be done alone if there is no snow?
          Last edited by Mike; 01-08-07, 10:35 PM. Reason: I should really read the whole post first!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X