Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Week - Baja

Ken and Suzanne Cooke (The Desert Outlaw) led a Baja California run during Thanksgiving Week. We originally started with eleven rigs --three Wranglers, three Unlimiteds, three Cherokees, one Grand Cherokee and one Ford Explorer, but the Explorer had to return early because the owner’s daughter became ill.

Our group left San Ysidro, CA on Saturday, November 18, took the coast toll road to Ensenada and then down Highway 1 to El Rosario, where we spent the first night. The next day, we left the highway at Catavina and proceeded via the “Mission Impossible” trail about 20 miles to the ruins of Mision Santa Maria, an 18th century Spanish mission, where we camped for two nights.

This slideshow shows our caravan headed from Tijuana along the coastal toll road to Ensenada then via Highway 1 to a lunch stop at El Paloma restaurant in Santo Tomas. It shows the courtyard of the Baja Cactus motel in El Rosario where we stayed the first night. It also shows us proceeding down Highway 1 to the Mission Impossible trail, arriving at the ruins of Mision Santa Maria just after sunset. The next day, we hiked down the canyon to visit some rocky pools and to search (unsuccessfully) for some petroglyphs. On Tuesday, November 21, we returned to Catavina to purchase supplies and then headed toward Bahia de Los Angeles as the sun set.

The following video shows us heading down the Mission Impossible trail to Mision Santa Maria on Sunday, November 19.

This is a video taken during our return to Catavina on Tuesday, November 21.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Here’s a slideshow of the sunrise at Bahia de Los Angeles and a daytrip to Bahia Las Animas, about 55 miles southeast on a rough and dusty dirt road, that we took on Wednesday, November 22.

On Thanksgiving Day, we proceeded via Coco’s Corner to Gonzaga Bay, where we celebrated Thanksgiving at Alfonsina’s restaurant and camped out on the beach.

The next day, we continued up the Sea of Cortez, where we were glad to see pavement again upon reaching Puertocitos. We played in the sand at Shell Island, and ate dinner at George’s Café in San Felipe. On Saturday, November 25, we shopped for souvenirs along the Malecon in San Felipe, and then returned home via Mexicali.

More photos of the trip can be found here
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-12-06, 10:25 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Great pics and trip report Russ.

I have driven to Mulege, Loreto and the East Cape on quite a few occasions but always on pavement. I would be very interested in an offroad trip like the one you took.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

WOW that was awsome..cant wait to do a trip like that one day
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Wooowwwww.

Thanks Russ,

Bob
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Way cool Russ. You should of stopped by and said Hi , I work in Mexicali.

Going to do a run up the Salada to a canyon which starts at about -100ft and goes up to + 5000ft. Dont know if it can be done but shoot it will be a hoot! Its only 5 miles long.... If not well explore some other stuff and dine out in Mexicali.

Nice write up!
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Wow...That is so cool.

I have done 2 trips down Baja, but never any great Jeep trails like those.

Great pictures.....Looks like a blast.

Here are a few from my trips in 2005 and 2006.
              http://www.chrisgrier.com/gallery/index.php?list=16

Comment

nice pics thanks for sharing.
                Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
                It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Working...
                X