Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac/Heartbreak/Rattlesnake Cyn

When I heard that the SCBs placed a tribute plaque on Heartbreak Ridge I wanted to get up there and pay my respects. Friday turned out to be the day. Two friends from TTORA and Tracy and I headed up on a beautiful Friday morning for a great run up 1N01 Pipes Canyon then over to 2N61Y and Pontiac Sluice and Heartbreak Ridge. The plaque can be found at N 34° 12.829 W 116° 41.909

Originally posted by SoCal Broncos
    It started in 2001 when a few off road enthusiasts with very different backgrounds, and one similarity, got together to ‘wheel on the trails around Big Bear Lake, in Southern California. The similarity was their vehicle, the Early Bronco, and the initial gathering was called a bash. The camaraderie that the few individuals built in two days was to be called a brotherhood. - The Early Bronco Brotherhood of Southern California, and that, was then shortened to SoCal Broncos.

As word spread about the group, more and more people associated themselves with these few. The group, though not officially “organized” grew in numbers, and quite a few of the members became friends.

On April 4, 2004 a new member joined this Brotherhood, and quickly became friends with several of the individuals already active in the group. His name was Alan Rowe.

A trip to the mountains, and a specific trail, was planned, and had to be canceled. Several members decided to reschedule, but the timing never worked out, for Alan to get a chance to run that trail with the group.

Captain Alan Rowe was deployed for his second tour in Iraq, in August of 2004. On September 3, 2004, Alan was killed by an insurgent IED. We never got to run Heartbreak Ridge with our friend.

In the months that followed some of the members discussed a way to honor our friend, and the sacrifice that he had made for us. One member donated a large steel plate. One member donated the use of a CNC mill. One member donated the professional art/design work. A plaque was engraved to Alan’s honor. On Memorial Day, 2005, some of the brethren loaded their Broncos and made the run to the top of Heartbreak Ridge. One Bronco contained the 300+ lb. plate. Others carried sacks of concrete and some carried water. All carried a driver with a heavy heart, saddened by the loss of a friend.

This year we placed an ammo box and a log at the plaque site. If you can make it up the hill, you are invited to share the tribute to one of AMERICA’S HEROS.

If you are a Veteran or an active member of the armed forces, we would like to hear from you, and thank you for your service.

Please Tread Lightly

After heading back down to 2N61Y we headed West on 2N02 to 2N91 Viscera Spring Road North to Rattlesnake Canyon. Rattlesnake Canyon is a motorized route right through the middle of the Bighorn Wilderness. We explored the Two Hole Mine and the Lost Rattlesnake Mine. After leaving Rattlesnake Canyon we headed North to Old Woman Springs Road and on to our nights lodging in Twentynine Palms around 8:30pm.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

A very cool tribute. Next time I'm there I'll look for it.

Cheers to Major Alan Rowe USMC, B&T TJ

Comment

Very Nice! I will have to drop a note next time we pass by!!
      Built Not Bought
      1986 B2

Comment

Very Cool!

That is a great thing you guy's did for your buddy.
        I will definitely have to make my way up there and take a pic with the plaque.
        Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
        It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Working...
        X