Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojave Road

We left the OC at 1pm on Friday Nov 17 heading for the Avi Resort. We hits some traffic going up the Cajon Pass and had a late lunch in Barstow. We arrived at the Avi just after 7pm. We had a few drinks at the Roadrunner Lounge before turning in at a decent hour.

At 8am on Saturday we staged in the Avi parking lot and the trip leader discussed the plans for the day. Our trip leader has run the Mojave Road on multiple trips and had run it just a few weeks earlier with the IE4WD Club. We followed the trip information from three books. Dennis Casbier's “Mojave Road Guide”, Charles Well's "Guide to Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails and the Massey-Wilson "Backcountry Adventures" We made our way North to the 0.0 mile marker on the Colorado River, took some pictures and each of us tossed a rock into the river for luck.

The road through Piute Pass has some narrow parts around some washouts and the only spot on the whole trip that we had to use 4low was a steep drop into a V notch late in the afternoon. Other than that it was lots of cactus, creosote, sand, rocks, washes... and of course the penny toll booth.

The weather on Saturday was in the mid 70s all day with a blue sky overhead.

We spent Saturday night at Mid Hills Campground. It is open after the big fire last year and there was running water and pit toilets. There was no charge to camp. The temps dropped into the mid 40s at night with a slight breeze and we saw a bit of the meteor shower that was happening.

Sunday morning we hit the trail just before 9am. About 1 hour in we hit the 10 mile whoop section. This was the only uncomfortable part of our whole trip.
    We replaced the flag at the mail box.

We took a nice pic near the Cinder Cone Lava Bed.

Soda Dry Lake was dry as a bone and we added to the rockpile near the western edge.

We zoomed in and out of the washes West of Rasor heading for Afton Canyon.

And of course the required pic at the Afton Canyon Trestle. We were just lining up when a train went overtop.

One more pic with Afton Canyon in the background.

And a pic crossing the Mojave River

We exited at Afton Canyon Rd and I-15 at 4pm. We stopped for dinner in Barstow and made it home without any traffic by 7:30pm. Once again the weather Sunday was in the mid 70s all day. We had just enough of a breeze both days to blow the dust off the trail.

This was my first time on "The Mojave Road" and I would highly recommend this trip to everyone. I took over 100 pics, but it will be a few weeks before I can get them all uploaded.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Cool photos! I still have yet to hit up that trail. What timing with that train - Sweet!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

OK- You're leaving out the most important part: How many caches did the group find?

Comment

National Parks do not allow geocaches. We found a few on either side. I think the total was 10 for the 2 days.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
        X