Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is going to camp there Friday and what time are you gonna be there. It looks like it is calicos biggest weekend and may be crowded. I was dirt biking at Gorman today and you would be surprised at the number of motorhomes and 5th wheelers there. Looks like a huge camping weekend and great weather to boot.
    moon buggy
    5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

I am up for Doran and Odessa! I want to conquer Odessa....Last time I went up it, I had a little issue with a tight canyon wall!!! That is a great canyon to run!!

Just keep an eye out for "The Darn Ford Guy"!!! See you guys Sunday!
      Built Not Bought
      1986 B2

Comment

I don't have enough time to camp, but I'll meet everyone for breakfast and spend the day there. I'll have my 10 year old son with me who will enjoy snooping around in some of the mines.

Comment

i'll be there for both saturday and sunday, and will be bringing camping gear to stay over saturday night. i would love to run doran and odessa loop at least once during the weekend, and would also like to check out some of the easy runs and do some exploring of the mines and such if time permits.

will bring a portion of food or beer for the group on saturday night, please let me know how many people to serve and what course to bring and i'll load up some extra in the cooler.

sounds like a great group and lots of fun times will be had by all.

PS i will meet everyone at peggy sue's saturday morning unless i cross paths with anyone and recognize the vehicle or hear you over ch.4
          Last edited by maddmike; 11-24-06, 01:38 PM. Reason: added meet info
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

If anyone is planning on meeting up at the Denny's at Main Street and I-15 between 7-7:30, please post up and let us know so we know who were expecting.

Weather looks great both days...atleast until Sunday night.

Mark
            "run forest, run!"

Comment

Anyone Camping?

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
              i'll be there for both saturday and sunday, and will be bringing camping gear to stay over saturday night. i would love to run doran and odessa loop at least once during the weekend, and would also like to check out some of the easy runs and do some exploring of the mines and such if time permits.

will bring a portion of food or beer for the group on saturday night, please let me know how many people to serve and what course to bring and i'll load up some extra in the cooler.

sounds like a great group and lots of fun times will be had by all.

PS i will meet everyone at peggy sue's saturday morning unless i cross paths with anyone and recognize the vehicle or hear you over ch.4
              I will be doing a stoddard wells/achy breaky run with victor valley four wheelers tomarrow but it will only be a half day run. Where are you guys going to be camping and howall is camping. Me and my daughter might show up early afternoon........MATT
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Matt glad to have you and your daughter. We're camping in Mule Canyon. When you reach the "Y" stay to the left. If you see a silver Silversado, another pick up and a pristine blue land cruiser with some toy haulers, pull on in! Supposedly there's plenty of room for all of us camping next to the wall to block any winds.

...have a great run with Victor Valley

Mark

Originally posted by matt2001tj View Post
                I will be doing a stoddard wells/achy breaky run with victor valley four wheelers tomarrow but it will only be a half day run. Where are you guys going to be camping and howall is camping. Me and my daughter might show up early afternoon........MATT
                "run forest, run!"

Comment

So how was it guys and how was the opening to Doran Canyon???

I had decided to go Monday morning just before leaving for a Thanksgiving cruise but after getting back Friday, I was just too pooped to get up at 3:30 Saturay morning in time to meet up with everyone at Peggy Sue's Diner.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                    So how was it guys and how was the opening to Doran Canyon???

I had decided to go Monday morning just before leaving for a Thanksgiving cruise but after getting back Friday, I was just too pooped to get up at 3:30 Saturay morning in time to meet up with everyone at Peggy Sue's Diner.
                    Dorans as usual was a carnage fest
                    saw some guys give it some serious tries
                    and saw 2 guys do one of the most comedic comedy of errors I have ever seen, They had no clue, no ability to choose a line, brand new rigs with every bling item on it, no spares, and no way to tow home after major breakage.
                    At nightfall, they were still trying to get someone to come down from Ridgecrest to tow them home, all the time doing a dead run to empty a cooler full of beer.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

What did the guy break, axle shafts or steering parts?
                      Drew
                      95yj Six Pack

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                        Dorans as usual was a carnage fest.
                        Yeah Doran just keeps getting tougher and tougher. My first time up Doran 6-7 years ago wasn't too bad at all. But the last time, I had an especially tough time getting past its opening and ended up slowly flopping onto my side. It's been two years since then and I know it's gotten even tougher since then.

Tell us more about this run!
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Drewminator View Post

I think the one rig broke a front hub and rear driveshaft, the other rig was undamaged. I was told there wasn't anyone to go thru on sat. There were two more damaged rigs by my campsite( i think broken axles)
                          moon buggy
                          5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Drive shafts, both front and rear, and hubs, which makes me wonder if they were running OX u joints. I mean why run a super strong u joint and break an axle, run a 12 dollar spicer u joint and use it as a fuse. I talked to the guys a bit, they seriously seemed to think that because of build they should have made it, they had a lot of the latest and greatest. They also laughed at me when I said I know of a girl who has done it unlocked with 33s. Oh well.

about the day though, we had a good breakfast at Peggy sues, then ran up Mule Canyon for camp, those that were going to camp broke off to set up and the rest of us went looking for a short run in the hills between mule and dorans for a run while they set up. we did a few loops, with nice smaller hills and stuff, and then I took off exploring, ended up in a canyon we had to back out of and then we took what everyone calls a motorcycle trail, Hey it had 4 wheeler tracks in it and it was at least wide enough for a jeep. well once down a 3 foot waterfall, with no where to turn around it was evident I had found one of my famous " guys we just have to make it through, no way to turn around" trails. it had medium rocks, a lot of 1 to 2 foot waterfalls and sharp rocks. You had to keep an eye out on your line, when suddenly. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss, I had a cut, seeing how there was no way I could change it here, I was forced to pick up the pace and get out of the canyon, I made it around 3 corners and found flat(ish) sand where I stopped to see the tire give up the ghost. We all had fun teasing the trail boss (me) and changed the tire. Thanks go out to Larry from Dirty Parts in L.A. for the use of the ARB air jack. then a 5 minute run to camp.
                            well during our impropto seminar, the main body of FJ40s and all left, we split into 2 groups, most of the MJR crew went to Dorans, and the Adventure4x4.net crew took off to do some rock hounding before heading to Dorans. I think everyone ran hard that afternoon, we made it back to camp as the sun was going down, One of our group has a resturaunt and we had a killer meal, waited till around 8 and went to the dry lake for a night run, had a blast for an hour or so and went to Peggy Sues for a slice of Pie.
                            Last edited by blackZZR; 11-26-06, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin View Post
                              I think the one rig broke a front hub and rear driveshaft, the other rig was undamaged. I was told there wasn't anyone to go thru on sat. There were two more damaged rigs by my campsite( i think broken axles)
                              WoW! He really beat the shit out of his rig. Who the heck was spotting him..
                              Drew
                              95yj Six Pack

Comment

WoW! He really beat the shit out of his rig. Who the heck was spotting him..
                                his clueless buddy

Comment

Working...
                                X