Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Pontiac?

Some friends and I want to go find the Pontiac on the Heartbreak Ridge / Pontiac Sluice trail. Does anyone have any hints on how to find it? The impression that I get is that it is off the marked trail on a side trail. Is this true? If so, how do you find it?
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Originally posted by Malachi
    Some friends and I want to go find the Pontiac on the Heartbreak Ridge / Pontiac Sluice trail. Does anyone have any hints on how to find it? The impression that I get is that it is off the marked trail on a side trail. Is this true? If so, how do you find it?
    It's not very far off the trail. You won't have any trouble finding it. The Jeeps in this picture are on the trail. The Pontiac is in a dry wash only a few feet from where the trail crosses the wash.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Run it soon. There is a good chance we will lose this trail to the greenies in the next year.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow! Great photo. I hope to have one of my own after Sunday.

It sounds like it is really obvious to find it but I got the impression from the Charles Wells So Cal book that the Pontiac is on a side trail off of 2N61Y and makes a loop that comes back to the main trail. Have you made the loop? Does it still exist?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET
          Run it soon. There is a good chance we will lose this trail to the greenies in the next year.
          What have you heard? Is it because it is near the Bighorn Mtns Wilderness?

[/COLOR]

Comment

What have you heard? Is it because it is near the Bighorn Mtns Wilderness?
            I will post more as I hear more. Greg shared at the meeting last night that the LRAMP that was adopted recently enlarged a non-motorized vehicle zone which may affect the Pontiac Sluice. There will be public meetings in January to view maps and make comments about which trails will be closed or added.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow! Great photo. I hope to have one of my own after Sunday.

It sounds like it is really obvious to find it but I got the impression from the Charles Wells So Cal book that the Pontiac is on a side trail off of 2N61Y and makes a loop that comes back to the main trail. Have you made the loop? Does it still exist?
              The side trail is hard to miss; if you are coming from Big Bear, 2N61Y makes a sharp bend at the junction of the side trail (waypoint 3 in Chas Wells book). You have to make a sharp left turn to stay on 2N61Y; if you continue more or less straight, you're on the side trail. If you are coming from the other direction, you have to make a sharp right turn to stay on 2N61Y; a slight left turn will put you on the side trail.

Here's a link to the trip reports from MJR's Big Bear runs on July 30 (the Pontiac Sluice report starts on post #56 in that thread)

And here's a link to the trip report when we ran it on March 26
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

Here's from photos from 2003 ...
                http://www.myjeeprocks.com/jeeps/pontiac.php
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks Russ and Sarah. Great reports and photos. I am really looking forward to Sunday even more now. The other trail photos help too. We are thinking about doing Gold Mtn and/or John Bull as well so the photos help a lot.

I wish I knew for sure what time we will head out but I still don't have firm plans from my friends. We will probably start out from the 38 at 2N01 around 10am but I am just guessing. Anyone who wants to hook up will be welcome. We usually have three jeeps in our troop and use channel 3 to communicate.

If anyone is planning to be in the SB mtns on Sunday and wants to meet somewhere, that would be cool. If not, I'm sure I'll see you on some other trails soon!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    Here's from photos from 2003 ...
                    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/jeeps/pontiac.php
                    Nice pictures... How hard would that run be for stockers? Also, where the heck is it? Your Map/GPS page doesn't have anything for it but a link to the photos!!!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Russ could probably tell you better than I could. Last time we were there was 03. I can look it up on a map for you if no one responds before you ned the info.

Comment

I haven't done this trail yet so I can't say for the stocker, but I do know how to get there.

The trail number is 2N61Y. The best I can tell, easiest way to get there is to get on Hwy 38 East of Big Bear City and Woodlands. About five miles East of Woodland, there is a trail on the left (coming from Woodland). The trail is 2N01. This trail winds through the mtns for 3 or 4 miles before you get to the trailhead on the right. If you include a return trip on easy-rated 3N03, it makes a big loop.

[/COLOR]

Comment

After doing more reading, it looks like this trail is also called Heartbreak Flats (or something like that) in the Charles Wells book. I just ordered that on amazon, and am hoping this run isn't too hard for two stockers to go through! I'm planning on trying it on the first weekend of Nov. If I am a little more sure I'll be going, I might post a run notice in the other forum.

Thanks Sarah, hopefully somebody will have a little more info as to how hard it is. From the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look harder than what I did in my stocker on White Mountain at the mjr meet-n-greet. I have a 2" BB now, but my uncle (in his brand new 2006 with a rear locker (and D44s)) is going to come too (hopefully)! My 2" will make less of a difference than his rear locker, but I'm hoping it won't be beyond the capabilities of our Jeeps!

Comment

Hey guys, I'm sure it will be fine for "stockers." I don't remember it being too difficult and the trails are supposed to keep the same ratings through the years. As you and I both know, when it comes to these local moderate trails, it's more of the driver's capability than the mods done to the rig.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                              Hey guys, I'm sure it will be fine for "stockers." I don't remember it being too difficult and the trails are supposed to keep the same ratings through the years. As you and I both know, when it comes to these local moderate trails, it's more of the driver's capability than the mods done to the rig.

Well, for White Mountain, I don't know how much "skill" was involved, as it was my first real offroad trip, but Kurt/Paul made good spotters! I just talked to my uncle, and he's going to talk to his buddy (Big Bear local/trail expert) and see if he's run it recently to see if it's still "moderate." I'll probably post a run notice in case anybody wants to meet up and run with us when we iron out more of the details! Thanks Sarah!

Comment

Working...
                              X