Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Chance Canyon

Kirk and I are planning on hitting Last Chance this Saturday. Meeting at Primo Burger in Mojave at 9:00 a.m. .
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Trip Report - Part 1

On Saturday, October 7, 2006, Al Spires (igofshn), Kirk Mills (CETROV) and I (Russ Chung) met for breakfast in Mojave, CA to plan for a day of four wheeling in the desert. After breakfast, we stopped at the Jawbone Canyon Visitor Center to get some maps. We had originally planned to run Last Chance Canyon, but we decided to do something different. None of us had ever been to McIvers Cabin in the Sequoia National Forest about 25 miles northwest of the Jawbone Canyon Visitor Center, so we decided to run up there.

We proceeded up Highway 14 to Red Rock Canyon State Park, entered a dry wash adjacent to the highway near Ricardo Campground, aired down, and proceeded toward the Dove Springs area. Kirk and Al had the cabin marked on their GPS (I forgot to download the maps to my GPS), so Kirk led the way up the soft, sandy wash.

To keep from bogging down in the soft sand, we kept our speed up—until Kirk hit some dips, became airborne, and broke one of his rear shock mounts.

Kirk removed his shock and since no one had brought a welder, Kirk continued the run minus one shock. The Dove Springs OHV area reminded me of the terrain in the Truckhaven area, except with slightly more vegetation.

We passed some hills in the OHV area; we couldn’t resist making a run up this hill. Kirk is in the lead, followed by Al.

Then down the hill:

Some of the areas and some of the trails were closed, so we ended up making a rather lengthy detour to get to our destination. We learned that one of the limitations of the GPS for routing purposes is that the GPS maps don’t distinguish between 4x4, motorcycle and hiking trails, so sometimes the GPS tried to route us over trails we couldn’t use.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Trip Report - Part 2

As we climbed out of the desert, we passed through an area that was thick with Joshua trees.

We saw lots of cattle near a watering hole.

And here are some cattle rustlers near the watering hole. Kirk on the left, Al on the right.

As the day warmed up and we climbed higher, the trail became very dusty (the temperature was in the 70s)

We reached the boundary of the Sequoia National Forest; only 4 ½ miles to go. The road through the desert is easy; we ran it in two wheel drive, and we saw plenty of pickup trucks and SUVs on the road. The forest trail is a moderate 4x4 trail. It is not very technical, but it does require 4 wheel drive and high clearance.

The mountain shows the scars of a forest fire.

McIvers Cabin at last. Because of the detours, it took us nearly six hours and I had logged over 70 miles from Mojave, CA to get to the cabin. :

The front of the cabin:

McIvers Spring, adjacent to the cabin:

We found a more direct route to return to the highway, however, we didn’t reach the highway to air up until just before sunset. It was a long day—longer that we had expected.
      Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-08-06, 11:09 AM.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

It was a great day. I didn't make it home until 10:00pm. There are a lot of different areas to check out in the local vicinity. Our 25 mile trip was actually almost 50 (just to get to the cabin.).

Comment

Looks like a long run. Russ can you post a map showing the route you guys took? Whats the story of the cabin?
          V
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

http://www.geargrinders.org/mciver.php

Comment

looks like a good time.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I was up there last Sunday. Took the short route from 14 South bound. I had been fishing the Upper Mammoths with an old freind and on the way back remembered this post, so I took a ride up. Less than two hours to the cabin from the Northern most Jawbone entrance off 14. LOTS of dear hunters out, not a deer to be found. Who's smarter? I never knew all that wonderful country was back there. Man there are some great views from the cabin. Thanks again Russ...
                Kurt
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Did that trip many times on bikes. It's very scenic up there. We could cover 70-100 miles a day on dirtbikes.

You need to go try Brightstar Wilderness trail. If they've fixed the hill climb it's a helluva run. Trail entrance is across Kelso Valley Hwy just north of where the trails come out of Dove. The last time I was out there the ruts were over 4' deep from the storms last year and it was impassable. Would be a great challenge for you hardcore guys.

--Chris

Comment

Thanks Russ. As always, great pictures! Makes me feel I have been there and also keeps the fever alive to 'get out there'!

BobO
                    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                    X