Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi this is Kevin, 1Bad F N Z, and I plan on being there. The wife and I were going to go up to Lake Isabella this weekend until we saw your thread. Just to let you know I have a black Landcruiser with black rag top, with 38 Super Swampers. Be pulling it in with my 28 foot Class C motorhome. Looking forward to meeting up with you all, Kevin.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I figure I can rack up 150-200 miles before the trip. Trying to decide if it will be ok to pull my little trailer (about 900 lbs + gear) while driving up to Lake Isabella on new gears. If everything goes smooth and I get the TJ back in time, we will probably make it, otherwise we will have to join you guys on another run.

Kurt - Still thinking about your hardtop, have to have a mega garage sale before I can stick it in there.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Howdy all. My husband and I and two labradors, that LOVE Isabella, are in We drive a light blue Ford E-350 conversion van and will be towing the Jeepers.

Comment

looking forward to being there. Hope the fish cooperate also. Kevin

Comment

One week to go!

Today is the first full day of autumn, and there's one week left until the "Summer's gone" Lake Isabella base camp runs.

[roll]297[/roll]

[WEATHER]93240[/WEATHER]
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

i'm gonna have to bow out of this one as much as i'd love to go wheeling up in this area. jeep still needs some attention and some other stuff has come up this weekend. see you all soon, have a great time up there.
              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Due to work schedule, I haven't had time to drive the TJ this week and I don't feel comfortable driving all the way up there on brand new gears and lockers. Have fun up there and we look forward to meeting some of you on the next run.
                [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Including the RSVPs on the other board, it looks like a total of 6 Jeeps and one Land Cruiser so far.
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                    Including the RSVPs on the other board, it looks like a total of 6 Jeeps and one Land Cruiser so far.
                    Wish I could make this one. Sounds like it gonna be a cool trip. Looks like you'll have a good sized group however!
                    Be safe, and have fun!! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
                    -Bob
                    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                      Add another Jeep to your count. I wont make it until Saturday afternoon, but I'll be there to meet everyone and make the sunset run. I've been wanting to do the Sherman Pass trail and I'm looking forward to spending Sunday on the trail with everyone.

Comment

Hey Guys. Love to with ya"ll. but I have to go on a sea cruse with my wife. It"ll be fun. I ordered the 4x4 ship. Have fun JOHN

Comment

Trip Report - Part 1

Lake Isabella Base Camp Runs, September 30 – October 1, 2006

This is our base camp at the Lake Isabella Auxiliary Dam Campground. The weather was partly cloudy, and the temps were in the 70s:

On Saturday, September 30, a total of nine Jeeps ran the Freeway Ridge trail. Airing down at the trailhead, from left to right: Jay Shaw’s maroon Rubi, Michael Knight’s black Rubi, and Steve Bokleman’s blue Rubi.

From front to rear, Andrew Weber’s silver Rubi Unlimited, Jim Toth’s khaki Rubi, Mike and Donna Green’s TJ, Tina and David’s CJ-6, and Ron Seehausen’s black TJ:

This is Tina and David’s CJ-6 on the Freeway Ridge trail:

Michael Prince’s black Rubi:

Jay Shaw’s maroon Rubi:

Steve Bokleman’s blue Rubi:

Ron Seehausen’s black TJ:

Michael Prince’s black Rubi followed by Ron Seehausen’s black TJ (lots of flex):

KI6MLU

Comment

Trip Report - Part 2

After we reached the intersection with the Black Gulch trail, we pulled to the side of the trail to watch a tow truck and a Saturn head down the Black Gulch trail:

After the Saturn passed us, we continued up Forest Road #32E47. This is Jim Toth’s Rubi:

Donna and Mike Green’s TJ:

Tina and David’s CJ-6:

Michael Prince’s Rubi:

KI6MLU

Comment

Trip Report - Part 3

Our lunch break. From left to right, Jay’s maroon Rubi, Tina and David’s gray CJ-6, Jim’s khaki Rubi, Andrew’s silver Rubi Unlimited, Donna and Mike’s khaki TJ, and Steve’s blue Rubi.

After lunch, we continued up Forest Road #32E47. At the dry waterfall, we held a strategy conference to determine the best line through the obstacle:

Andrew tried the right side of the obstacle:

Andrew abandoned the attempt, and let Steve try it. Steve decided to try the left side of the obstacle. For safety, we attached a winch cable to his front bumper to prevent him from flipping over on his back.

We reluctantly decided take the bypass and to leave the waterfall until next time.

The final obstacle on 32E47 was a steep, soft dusty hill. Several Jeeps had to make more than one attempt to get up the hill, but eventually everyone made it up without need for any straps or winch lines.

We returned to camp via Renteria Road and Hwy 155. Donna and Mike, Tina and David and Jim left for home.

Rick (TJ Rick) joined us in time for the Saturday night run. Andrew, Rick, Ron Seehausen and I ran up Black Gulch to the intersection of the Freeway Ridge trail, and then down Freeway Ridge to Hwy 178. The run took about two hours and we returned to tell Jeep stories around the campfire.
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Trip Report - Part 4

On Sunday, October 1, a total of seven Jeeps ran the Sherman 4x4 trail. The trailhead is approximately 25 miles northeast of Lake Isabella. This is our group airing down at the trailhead. From left to right, Michael Prince’s black Rubi, Rick’s green TJ, Andrew Weber’s silver Rubi Unlimited, my khaki TJ, Ron Seehausen’s black TJ, Steve Bokleman’s blue Rubi (behind Ron’s TJ), and Jay Shaw’s maroon Rubi.

The Sherman Pass 4x4 trail has steep, soft sections, but it is not as technical as the Freeway Ridge trail. The trail was very dusty. We reached the summit of Sherman Peak (elevation 9,900 feet) without incident. Shortly before the summit, we met a Tulare County deputy sheriff who was on routine patrol. He accompanied us to the summit and pointed out some of the sights.

Rainclouds were approaching from the north, as viewed from the summit of Sherman Peak:

The deputy led us to Embree Cabin, which is just below the summit of Sherman Peak:

After we left Embree Cabin, the rain (and a few snow flurries) caught up to us. The rain kept the dust down, but did not make the trail too muddy or slippery. We finished the run by mid-afternoon and returned to camp.

We had a great weekend; challenging trails on Saturday and Saturday evening, and a very scenic run on Sunday. We had no carnage, and everyone returned safely
                                KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                                X