Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Sierra - Swamp Lake Trail Run

This was a Cal4Wheel organized event. There was about 15 vehicles per day that completed this run. The first crew was an overnight trail run on the trail. The planned stopping point was Swamp Lake. Some of the people went on to Grouse Lake though.
    The people from MJR included:
    igofshn
    Russ Chung
    Navy-Jeepster
    valleydrew559

The two day trip across was pretty uneventful other then a Commanche shorting out a wire from the crank position sensor and the jeep would not start. Moved him out of the way so people could get past. He was blocking the trail at a spot called pinch point, or squeese, V-rock. This spot on the trail has a couple of names. You will see pics below. A couple of vehicles after him was a Nissan Xterra that broke a brake line. He did have a spare, and it was quickly replaced.

Here are some pics of the trip.
    Swamp Trail head.

Here is Al (igofshn) at the squeese.

My Rubi

My Rubi needing a counter weight.

Spider Monkey crawler

Andrew in his Unlimited Rubi.

I think Andrew had his airconditioning on also.

For more pics, look here.
    Pictures of Swamp
    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

It was a great time. Our stay at Grouse lake was the best. Nice trout action at the lake. I'll have my pics up later tonight. Too bad we didn't get much particiption from the forum.
    Last edited by igofshn; 09-04-06, 03:44 PM.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Swamp Lake froma distance,

Grouse Lake at morning

Duty calls

The rest of the story
      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v82/igofshn/Swamp%20Lake/
      Last edited by igofshn; 09-04-06, 05:29 PM.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Al

Nice pics.
        I posted some here, and the rest are on my site.
        Good wheeling with you.
        See you around town, or on base.

Todd
        Navy-Jeepster

Comment

Swamp Lake Trail, part 1

The Swamp Lake trail is located in the Sierra National Forest approximately 60 miles northeast of Fresno, California. Over the Labor Day holiday weekend, the Central District of the California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs hosted two Swamp Lake trail runs; a two day run with an overnight camp at Swamp Lake, and a faster paced one day run. The trail can be a challenge to even the most experienced rock crawlers. Rear lockers were required and 33” minimum tires were recommended for all vehicles on the run. Since my rig doesn’t meet those requirements, I persuaded Andrew Weber (ValleyDrew559) to let me ride along with him on the two day run. Other MJR members on the two day run were Al (Igofshn) who was accompanied by a co-worker, Scott, and Todd (Navy-Jeepster) who was accompanied by his Jeep dog, Dino.

This is Andrew (ValleyDrew559) with his silver Rubi Unlimited

Scott is on the left, Al (Igofshn) is on the right with Al’s red TJ.

This is Todd (Navy-Jeepster) and Dino in the back of Todd’s black Rubicon.

We ran the trail from north to south, starting at the Dinkey Creek Hiking Trailhead, camping at Swamp Lake (some of us camped at Grouse Lake), and finished at McKinley Grove Road.

The first mile of the trail is relatively easy. This is Todd’s Rubi followed by Al’s TJ.

After Miningtown Meadow, the trail becomes rougher. This video shows Todd followed by Al. Todd gets stuck.

Todd gets an assist from Al.

Todd and Al continue.

Now it’s Andrew’s turn.

Todd

The trail is very dusty; Todd disappears in a cloud of dust.
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

Swamp Lake Trail, part 2

Al works his way through a narrow section of the trail, while Andrew comments on the line he took.

Further down the trail, Andrew gets through with a little rock stacking.

The red Comanche's engine died on this obstacle and it wouldn't restart. It was winched to the side of the obstacle, so the rest of the rigs could get past while repairs were made.

Brian’s Xterra lost a brake line here.

The aftermath of the loose brake line. As a result of the disabled Comanche and the disabled Xterra, the obstacle was completely blocked, while repairs were made to both rigs. Both rigs were eventually fixed and completed the run.

After the Xterra brake line was repaired, Andrew was able to squeeze past the Comanche.

I believe this is Brown Peak, elevation 10,350 feet. This picture was taken from the trail at an elevation of about 9,400 feet.

This is Swamp Lake and Three Sisters Mountain in the background. Swamp Lake is at about 9,100 feet elevation, Three Sisters rises to 10,612 feet. The group was given a choice to setup camp at Swamp Meadow, approximately a half mile from Swamp Lake, or to continue another mile to Grouse Lake, where we could camp beside the lake. We chose to setup our camp at Grouse Lake.

This is Grouse Lake, elevation 9,122 feet. We setup our camp and had time for a swim before dinner.

Al brought his fishing tackle, and served us fresh caught trout. One of the other campers brought some steaks and was kind enough to share with the rest of us. After dinner, we enjoyed a campfire and retired for the night.
            KI6MLU

Comment

Swamp Lake Trail, part 3

Grouse Lake on Sunday morning.

Rooster Rock is an extremely steep slab of granite.

The trail makes a sharp turn near the bottom.

Rooster Rock from the passenger seat of Andrew’s Rubi Unlimited

This small rock garden was surprisingly difficult; you need big tires or you have to choose your line carefully

After studying the obstacle, Andrew picks his line. Nicely done!

Lunch break

After lunch, we continued down the trail. Although rocky, there were no major obstacles on this portion of the trail

The last three miles of the trail were relatively smooth and easy. We aired up upon reaching McKinley Grove Road.

KI6MLU

Comment

Great pictures, great trail, we were up in the area the weekend before labor day.
                Joe Rojas
                1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Russ

Nice report, and nice pictures.

Nice to finally wheel with you, even though you where riding with Andrew.

We will let you know about Lake Isabella later. Sounds like fun.

Take care
                  Todd

Navy-Jeepster

Comment

Arw\e ther any pix of me not broke lol. In the red Comanche.

Comment

I think I have one of the Commanche that you sent me of it parked on the rock.

I will post it up when I get home.

Navy-Jeepster

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                        It was a great time. Our stay at Grouse lake was the best. Nice trout action at the lake. I'll have my pics up later tonight. Too bad we didn't get much particiption from the forum.
                        looks like a fun time.
                        timing is everything, Al. dont go and get all huffy.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

see if this works

These are the only ones I have "Not Broke"

Comment

Working...
                          X