Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• west coast wheeling, East coast Weather

Well, we had an event this weekend (well it was the L.O.S.T. KJ club event) but a group of us (1zj, 3 XJ;s and a Rubicon) also attended, we decided to run a few trails that the other guys didnt want to so we started on what was a typical beautiful So. Cal MTN day..about 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

here is out initial "start" of the trail...the first obstacle is the waterfall in the background which is about a 6 ft ledge to go up and over

Thats me in the front the Fearless (or fearful) leader for this trail, my buddy mike in his woody behind me and a bunch of others you cant see in the picture

Then out of NO where... a bunch of grey looking things come over our head and we hear Crack BOOM!!! wTF...is it raining in So. Cal??

well yes! look in this photo, what are all those silver stripes in the picture??

HMM, rocks are getting slippery!!

Hmm Creepy Crawlers grip good with 8 psi in them!!

The next section of the trail has alot of off camber stuff, hill climbs, ledge crawls and down hills, should be interesting with a layer of mud on top of it..

Me, hoping that homemade shoring on the side holds up and doesnt give way

A little fun through the trees right before the steep down hill exit of the trail

going down the slope... hard to tell in the picture but according to the inclinometer its a 42 degree descent into the creek bed below

one last little rock garden and we are out..

and here is what happens when you are testing our your remote reservoir shocks on the trail back to the main road and hit a 2ft diameter piece of Granite going 35mph with only 8 psi in your tires... my fault, just wasnt paying attention.

time for a new rim.

couple of observations when things got slick..

most of the guys were running MTRs (tire of choice for the dry rocks out here in CA)

However 1 other guy was running truxxus MT's and 2 of us were running Maxxis Creepy Crawlers..

the Creepy Crawlers completely DOMINATED everything..in the spots where the truxxus and mtrs and BFG mud terrains were slip sliding around...we just walked right up ....definitely amazing tire...

all those rocks and no sidewall chafing at all

total tally for the day.. 1 Sliced sidewall MTR (Yellow jeep Rubicon), one broken shock mount (bad weld on my buddy andys D44), one ripped valve stem (another rubicon) and bent wheel for me (being stupid)

had a complete blast...hope you enjoy the photos...
    UHH....DUUUHHH

Originally posted by zjmike
    time for a new rim.

[SIZED]http://www.fototime.com/7741CAEFF7D8D56/standard.jpg[/SIZED]
    Mike,

Thanks for the report; it is unusual to get rain this time of year, but it's welcome because it helps keep the dust down. If you want to have the rim repaired, this place does a good job:

http://www.truwheel.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-27-06, 06:58 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks Russ, I just used a 6 lb sledge and got it bent back pretty good, it holds air now..

it is now my permanent spare...
      UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

Originally posted by zjmike
        Thanks Russ, I just used a 6 lb sledge and got it bent back pretty good, it holds air now..

it is now my permanent spare...
        Hahahaaa, gotta luv the BFH! Fixes EVERYTHING!
        Rat
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol
          Hahahaaa, gotta luv the BFH! Fixes EVERYTHING!
          Rat

Yeah, $300 rim..... $8 harbor freight sledge...

Priceless.....
          UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

That is an awsome ZJ if I ever have a real family (other then my GF and dog) I will build somthing like yours... Awsome report. I cant wait till my jeep is done. Everytime i read one of these reports the fire lights under my butt to get moving. Thanks
            Head nut at Outdoorlogic
            Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
            www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig
              That is an awsome ZJ if I ever have a real family (other then my GF and dog) I will build somthing like yours... Awsome report. I cant wait till my jeep is done. Everytime i read one of these reports the fire lights under my butt to get moving. Thanks

YEP, that my issue, I have to drive the station wagon around...LOL..

at least it gets me where I am going... Its nice to have room for the dog, 2 kids, campin gear, wife, etc and still stay nice and dry and be able to run down the freeway at 70mph with the cruise on and a/c blowing ice cold..

Its not a hardcore trail rig, but it gets the job done...
              UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

Yeah, I've heard the Creepy Crawlers rock, especially on a trail only rig.

My experience with Trxus MTs has been different, though. Aired down to 10-12psi, I've had great traction on the rocks. As good as my old MTRs (which, I admit, were smaller). On road, in rain, snow and mud, they excel. We do see alot more of that stuff up here than y'all though. I think the Trxus MT rocks as an offroad tire on a daily driver.

Comment

Hey, We were the group you passed on the trail! You had some real clean rides with you!

my bucket!

a little body work!

and yes it did rain!

Comment

Working...
                  X