Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devils canyon and 33's

Today we Skates04, Sam15 and Britain ran the canyon. Skates04 (Lucas) and Sam15 (Rick) ran 33's on their rigs.

It was a rough run. Almost half way through Rick lost his front drive shaft then he lost a side wall. His side pulley on his wrinch came off also. Not a good day for Rick. Though he did a great job on the first bad water fall and went up and over without assist. He truly was doing 3 wheels most of the time!

We ran into Steve and Nora they hiked down from the top. Guess gas prices kept ole Stormtrooper home safe and sound. This could be a trend for many of us.

After we got Rick to a place to exit we continued, Lucas was a mad man. I'll ride with this guy anytime!.

We completed the run inspected for damage (Lucas's steering broke off and was only held on by a couple of bolts).

Heres the Pictures
    Last edited by Britain; 04-22-06, 07:48 PM.
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Wow

What a awesome trail, This is not for the weak hearted, This is by far the the most difficult trail in the san diego area that I know of, All of the weights on my tires, have been ripped off, My steering box brackets have all the welds broken from my steering skid plate taking a beating, My drive shafts are all beat up, Fenders are bent all up, and i have lots of vibes if I go over 60mph, Could just be from out of balance tires, but Im thinking I have a tweaked drive shaft, or one or both are now out of balance, Also my front pinion seal is leaking a bit as well, Lots of caranage, Dont know if I will do it again with 33s, But I have alot of repairs to do, but they were well worth it,
    Vern and Steave thanks for all your hard work and research on this trail and making passable!
    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

Yeah, we hit Devil's Canyon today....and it hit back. Broke my front drive shaft in half, two toned my black steelies (Rock rash), 2" rip in sidewall, rocker guards took a beating but did thier job, as did the Crane (front) and RockCrusher (Rear) diff covers. I have flat fenders sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I was hoping to get some good $$ for the stock fender flares, but that's out now LOL.

All and all a great day. Getting back to the Hwy was a challenge without a front DS, so thanks to Vern and Lucas for extra the help. 35's are the way to go on this canyon. I'll get'er fixed and get'er back out there. Great photo coverage.
      1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

nice pics looks like a very challenging but fun trip.
        :wink:

Comment

A fine day of wheeling

Ya, My wife Nora and I hiked down from the top of the trail just to take pictures and enjoy the area. Stormtrooper was home celebrating Earth Day (kidding). My favorite quote of the day came from Lucas who after finishing the second waterfall (near the awnings) stated "that was violent".

Rick (who I kept calling sam the whole time) had done real well on the hardest part bust his driveshaft on what amounted to a speedbump out there. Just dumb luck I guess. That later contributed to his tire getting slashed and problems with the winch fairlead.

Lucas continued on to be the first person with 33's to finish the trail Congrats to him.

I will add my pictures tomorrow.
          2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
          4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

looks like fun

Comment

More Pictures

Here's the pictures I promised. In there you'll see the indian grinding stone that we discovered.
              PICTURES
              S
              2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
              4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
                Here's the pictures I promised. In there you'll see the indian grinding stone that we discovered.
                PICTURES
                S
                S,
                like the look down shots. Lots of stuff to be found on foot eh?
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Sweet pics! Bummer about the damage. I guess when you play with the Devil, there is a price to pay, and it seems, LOL! Great job guys!

Drew-
                  Drew
                  95yj Six Pack

Comment

Working...
                  X