Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bear Mar 12 Trip Reports

An unusually cold and severe late winter storm brought blizzard conditions to the mountains of Southern California on Friday and Saturday, March 10 & 11. Clearing conditions on Sunday, March 12, 2006 brought seven MJR members (plus what seemed like a million other people) to the Big Bear Lake area to play in the snow. The participants were Erik (Nailer341), Paul (paulhead), Fernando (Jeep Thing), Chuck (Chuck’s XJ), Kevin (KevinofCamelot), Ed (AvNative) and myself (Russ Chung).

Even before we reached the trailhead we encountered our first obstacle: The Caltrans tire chain requirements. According to the Caltrans web site, there are three levels of requirements: R1 – chains are required, snow tires are allowed, R2 – chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels, R3 – chains are required - all vehicles – no exceptions. Kevin traveled to Big Bear Lake on Saturday while the R2 requirements were in effect, and his Rubicon Unlimited met those requirements. By Saturday afternoon, Caltrans raised the requirement to R3. The heavy snowfall ended on Saturday night, but when the remaining six MJR members started the ascent to Big Bear Lake on Sunday morning, the R3 requirements were still in effect. This posed a problem because among the six vehicles we only had five usable sets of tire chains. We decided to proceed toward the lake in hope that the requirement would be eased by the time we reached the control point. As we approached the control point, we joined a long line of vehicles waiting to pass through. Many vehicles had pulled over to the side of the road to install their chains. Entrepreneurs were offering to install the chains for a fee ranging from $40 and up.

When we reached the control point, we were told that we would have to “chain up”. After some discussion, Ed (AvNative) decided that he would forego a trip to Big Bear Lake at this time, and the remaining five of us set to work installing the chains. Once we finished installing the chains, we received word that the requirement has eased somewhat; it was still R3, but four wheel drive vehicles did not have to “chain up”; they could get past the checkpoint by showing that they had a set of chains in their possession. We decided that we could travel faster and more comfortably if we did not use the chains, so we removed them and proceeded past the checkpoint. Soon we entered a snowy winter wonderland. This is Chuck’s (Chucks XJ) red XJ at an elevation of about 4,000 feet:

Our group is passing through the community of Arrowbear (elevation of approximately 6,000 feet). From left to right: Erik’s (Nailer341) red YJ, Paul’s (paulhead) gray YJ, and Fernando’s (Jeep Thing) red Rubicon.

Although we had made an allowance for extra travel time due to heavy traffic and chain requirements, it was mid morning before we arrived at Big Bear Lake:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

While enroute, we decided that our first run would be to our Adopt-a-trail, 2N84. Kevin met us a Fawnskin instead of the Discovery Center, and we aired down/chained up while some of the Fernando’s and Chuck’s children played in the snow:

We took 3N12 to get to 2N84:

The snow was knee-deep, dry and powdery. Erik’s (Nailer341) YJ blazed the path for us:

From left to right: Fernando’s (Jeep Thing) red Rubicon, Erik’s (Nailer341) red YJ, Chuck’s (Chucks XJ) red XJ, my khaki TJ, Kevin’s (KevinofCamelot) khaki Rubicon Unlimited, and Paul’s (paulhead) gray YJ.

We inspected the Yellow Post campsite on our Adopt-a-trail:

My apologies but I did NOT get a picture of our Adopt-a-trail sign.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 03-13-06, 09:56 AM.
    KI6MLU

Comment

Our next objective was the John Bull Trail. Unfortunately, my day in Big Bear (and this report) reached a premature end because I skidded on a patch of ice and ran off the trail and came to rest against a tree. I was unhurt and my Jeep did not suffer any major damage, except that a tree branch broke the windshield rendering the Jeep undriveable. (I guess I could have folded the windshield down, and driven home, but it was COLD). I don’t have any pictures of my predicament or my rescue; I will have to rely on the rest of the group to post those pictures. Here are some shots of the carnage:

After waiting all afternoon only to learn that the Auto Club’s towing service in Big Bear could not tow my Jeep home for several days, the group helped me take the Jeep to the bottom of the mountain (the bumper to bumper traffic crept down the mountain at about 10 mph) where my Jeep and I made it home with the assistance of the AutoClub’s towing service from San Bernardino. Thanks to the whole group for winching me out and for helping me get my Jeep home.

KI6MLU

Comment

Glad you made it through that without getting hurt.
        Dennis
        04 TJ
        4.0/Auto
        RE 4.5 Long Arm
        Rock-It Man Rockers
        33x12.50 BFG A/T
        desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Dang those trees anyway......glad no one was hurt and you made it home (with your jeep) with minimal problems. As usual, great posting of trail report with pics. I like your writing style Russ, you could write for a living. Hopefully I can make the next run.
          1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Great report russ. you sure do a great job of painting a picture or a run.
            sorry to see you had such a rough day, but glad to see you did not get injured, and impressed to see how you handled the results of the accident.

what a great ytime it was out there in the snow. this is not the type of wheeling i normally do, but i'll tell you... it sure was a BLAST! the snow on many of the trails that had been driven on before was in the neighborhood of a foot deep. when you get back further in the woods to trails, like john bull, the snow was 2'+ wit some HUGE drifts.

just making it back to the "mud pit" at the end of john bull was a real blast!
            we made it through a couple of rock gardens at the end of john bull, then ran into a garden that was buried in a 6' drift. without being able to see the rocks under it, and it being about 3:00 at this point... i thought it best just to play on the easier trails.

we then shot across 3n:16 to the end of gold mountain with pland of going down it. well, that didnt work out. the snow there was 3'+ at the entrance to that trail. i blasted into it a few times and got in a good 30' or so, but it would have been a hell of a lot of work to get through there, and chances are the jeeps on 33's would not have made it.

we then just headed out of the trail by the dump, and back to the fire station, where we ran back into russ waiting for tripple A, which did not come through for him.

it was great wheeling with everyone.

pics to come.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Looks like a challenging but fun day! Sorry I missed this one. Looks like there is enough snow on the mountain so we can go back another weekend and do someof these trails again.

Nailer, glad you made it out there. Different but fun type of wheeling.

Russ, glad you got down safely.
              Supe
              97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
              Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Wow, Russ, bummer on the Jeep damage, but glad you were ok. Other than that little event, looks like a fun trip! As noted above, breat job with the pics and report! :thumbs_up
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Here are some pictures.
                  here is a shot of us airing down at the fire station.

http://www.pierviews.com/photogaller...new_page_1.htm
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Wow what fun it was to play in the snow! had a blast, Russ as always good to see you and great report. I'm pm you a # for a good windshield guy.
                    once again a great trip with the mjr group, was good to see some of you again and nice to have meet some others on the mjr board. looking forward to the next run! will post some pix later have to run.:smile:
                    Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
                    It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Wow - Russ, so glad you are ok, and even more glad that you didn't roll. That is awsome that you guys made it to our trail. We need to compose a little trip report, and I think you already have a good start.

Great pics, great reports, and glad everyone stayed safe.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

See Sarah, dont you miss all that snow!!
                        Supe
                        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                          See Sarah, dont you miss all that snow!!
                          mmmm, no.
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Once again great trail report Russ. Me and the kids had time in the snow trails. It's was nice to see some of you guys again and nice to meet some of the others MJR group. Looking forward to the next run.

Comment

Brrrrr.....looks cold! But its looks fun. Great pics, glad you all stayed safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X