Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have any idea how much snow would be on those trails ?

Comment

i heard they have gotten apx. 12" so far. i expect there will be a bit more by the time we get there on sunday morning.
      i think it is going to be a great time. i am more worried about getting TO the trail than i am completing it
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

This just in:

Fyi...

A minor earthquake occurred at 11:45:03 PM (PST) on Friday, March 10, 2006. The magnitude 3.5 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) NNE of Big Bear City, CA. 3/10/06 6:45 p.m. News Bulletin: Cal trans has closed all roads in the San Bernardino Mountains to Buses and Tractor Trailers due to the extreme weather conditions. This closure will be in effect until further notice. Buses and Tractor Trailers will not be allowed to enter the mountains or travel within the mountains during this weather event. Again Cal Trans has closed all roads in the San Bernardino Mountains to Buses and Tractor Trailers due to the extreme weather conditions. * Routes 330, 38 and 18 are OPEN with R2 Chain requirements A Winter Storm Warning is in effect through 4:00 a.m. Sundaymorning. Heavy snow and strong winds will create near white-out conditions at times.
        You guys be careful up there tomorrow!
        Last edited by Dukes69; 03-11-06, 06:03 PM.
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj
          Hmmm,... im starting to get second thoughts on this one. otherwise ill meet you guys at the trail head for gold mountain on the baldwin lake side. I hope everyone has at least one locker,...otherwise, can you say
          "WINCH FEST"
          It would be better if you met us at the Discovery Center. That way, you can participate in the decision to go ahead with the original plan or make up an alternate plan, and if we decide to try something else, you won't be waiting at the trailhead. Right now, I think I'm the only one with open diffs. I've done Gold Mountain twice before (in dry weather) in stock configuration, so I'm hoping that my lift and bigger tires will make up for the snow. If I get stuck too often on Gold Mountain, I won't try the other trails.
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by 4XINT.J.
            Does anyone have any idea how much snow would be on those trails ?
            The forecast is for 12 inches in Big Bear City, up to three feet on the mountain tops. Anyone have a snow plow?
            That's why I think we should wait until we get to the Discovery Center on Sunday morning to decide whether to try a more "scenic" instead of a more "technical" route.
            KI6MLU

Comment

well, i have my jeep all loaded up, and ready to go. i'll be leaving here at 6:00am from lakewood. i can usually get there in 2 hours, so i gave myself an extra hour to get there. as i said before, i will be coming up the back side of the mountain. most often, it is only te locals that take that route. so i am hoping for a bit better traffic flow through there.
              i'll be at the discovery center before 9:00 am unless there is something unforseen that prevents it.
              russ, i'll pm you my cel number. you please pm me yours.
              see you there with extra shoes, and extra socks
              ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                This just in:

* Routes 330, 38 and 18 are OPEN with R2 Chain requirements A Winter Storm Warning is in effect through 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning. Heavy snow and strong winds will create near white-out conditions at times.

You guys be careful up there tomorrow!
                I just checked the Caltrans web site. As of 7pm, R3 Chain requirements (Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions) apply to Rim of the World Drive (Hwy 18) between Lake Arrowhead and ArrowBear, to Hwy 330 from the Clear Creek Ranger Station to the Jct with Hwy 18, and to Hwy 38 from Redlands to Big Bear.
                Here's the link so you can check the road conditions yourself in the morning:
                http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Hopefully, in the morning, the chain requirement will drop to R2 (R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.)
                KI6MLU

Comment

thanks for that post, russ.
                  where will you be coming from?
                  i have a pair of 35" chains which i will be using, and a pair of 33" chains if someone else wants to borrow them.
                  ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                    thanks for that post, russ.
                    where will you be coming from?
                    i have a pair of 35" chains which i will be using, and a pair of 33" chains if someone else wants to borrow them.
                    Ed (AvNative) and I are planning to meet at Hwy 30 and Waterman Ave, and then travel up Hwy 18. I have chains, Ed doesn't have any, and he has 33" tires. If chains are still mandatory in the morning, and no one else has dibs on your chains, we might slip over to Redlands and go up Hwy 38 with you and Paul so Ed can use your chains. I have your cell phone and I will send you a PM with my cell phone number.
                    KI6MLU

Comment

sounds good... i'll put them in the jeep.
                      one catch.. if i bring them, he has to at least carry them in his jeep. i dont want to lug too much stuff through the trail. fair?
                      these are the real "chains" not the stuff at auto zone.
                      Last edited by NAILER341; 03-11-06, 09:29 PM.
                      ERIK

Comment

paulhead, give me a call this evening before 10:00 if you want to caravan up the hill in the morning. i plan to leave here at 6:00 am.
                        i cant seem to find your number.
                        ERIK

Comment

russ got your # pm you back.
                          does anyone have chains for 31 if so can i use them for the trip,otherwise im on my way to walmart to pick up a pair. dont think we will need them but hate to get up there not have them to get by ck point.
                          Last edited by Jeep Thing; 03-11-06, 11:39 PM.
                          Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
                          It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

sold out

well they are sold out hopefully i can find some in the morning.
                            Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
                            It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Well I hope you guys enjoy your trip. I had fun today just pulling flatlanders, with 4wd, off the roads in Crestline. I cant say much about BB but on this side of the mountain we got about 20-24" of snow since last night. The snow plows are running behind and what they do plow is like an ice skating show. I ran with chains today just to get traction to pull others out. It was great pulling big lifted full size trucks up the road with a 4cyl Jeep :o) You guys shouldnt need chains on but it sure as hell doesnt hurt to put them on. As far as running John Bull.........good luck. Just let me know if you can even get there. Have fun and enjoy your trip!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hurley37
                                Well I hope you guys enjoy your trip. I had fun today just pulling flatlanders, with 4wd, off the roads in Crestline. I cant say much about BB but on this side of the mountain we got about 20-24" of snow since last night. The snow plows are running behind and what they do plow is like an ice skating show. I ran with chains today just to get traction to pull others out. It was great pulling big lifted full size trucks up the road with a 4cyl Jeep :o) You guys shouldnt need chains on but it sure as hell doesnt hurt to put them on. As far as running John Bull.........good luck. Just let me know if you can even get there. Have fun and enjoy your trip!!!!
                                will do! hopefully we can fit in some pictures of the lunacy :geek:
                                ERIK

Comment

Working...
                                X