Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoddard Valley Cleanup 1-28-06, Achy Breaky Trail 1-29-06

MJR members participated in the second annual Stoddard Valley Cleanup on Saturday, January 28, 2006. Stoddard Valley is in the Mojave Desert about 90 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

The event was organized by JP Magazine and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. The organizers reported that over 200 people had pre-registered for the event, and judging from the crowd at the registration table, it appeared that an equal number of people were signing up on-site. We were given a t-shirt, gloves, and trash bags. At the driver’s meeting, we were briefed on the areas that needed the most cleanup, and reminded to be careful when picking up trash because native “critters” have been known to make their homes in or under the trash. Each bag of trash would earn us a ticket in the raffle to be held at the end of the day.

We headed out of the main camp and began to pick up the trash. I got separated from the group, so I drove to the top of a hill to get a better view of the area so I could find them.

When I finally caught up with them, they were cleaning up an area about a mile north of the main camp. Deamer dragged this mess of barbed wire and chicken wire fencing material back to the main camp, and then winched it into the bin:

Hot dogs were served for lunch. During lunch there were a few built up rigs on display:

By early afternoon, the bins were full of trash:

At the end of the day, the prize raffle was held, and the Second Annual Stoddard Valley Cleanup event came to an end.

Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-29-06, 12:32 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

It was cool to finally meet you guys after talking to you on this board for so long. Great turn out. I had a blast and was glad to contribute my :2: by cleaning up a little bit of mother nature. Awsome rigs, lots of people. I won $100 gift cert for Don a Vee Jeep and got some hats too. Again it was nice to finally meet you guys. Here a few pics.

Here's All of them
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Ditto on haven fun.
      The wife and I found a tire dump, Yea, we had something to put in the trailer.
      now I need to get my Radio fixed.

Hope this summer I can get out more.

Nice meeting all of you guys
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

it was a great time out there. it was nice to take part in something good in our sport. it is gratifying to have been a part of it.
        thanks to all that showed up to participate in this event.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Wow!! A great time, a great turnout - and alot of trash! Every bin was overflowing and there were plenty of larger items outside the bins. It was great to see everyone working together to support our local OHV area. We also had alot of time to hang out together at camp and get to know the new(er) guys and gals. I can't say I've known a better bunch of people!

Great photos, Russ & Paul! And glad to have spent the day with you. I expect to see our newfound friend Gary (and his wife) and "BrownInTheRear" (Sherry) on the board here soon!! TonkaDave, it was great to see you back in one piece! We missed you guys Sunday, hope everything is allright.

Today we ran Achy Breaky - no damage, no troubles, but alot of steep inclines! It was a clear, cool day with some spectacular views. As we headed back to camp we found that the trucks practicing for their high-speed desert race were trying to use the same road we were! That made for quite an awakening, considering we were going opposite directions! No harm done, but definitely a good story.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Cleanup Photos

Achy Breaky Photos

Comment

It was an awesome time for sure and very cool to meet those that I haven't meet before.

Hopefully for next years cleanup we can have a better turn out than this year
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

That was a good time this weekend. Felt good to give back like that, especially with a great group of people. It was good meeting and seeing you guys again. Those Desert trucks flying by were bad a$$!
                Supe
                97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Thank You All

Wow, you guys are fast. Great pics from everyone! I like the write-up reports.

Was very nice to meet everyone. We sure had a terrific turnout Saturday morning, didn't we? A mob of MJR folks. Enjoyed putting faces to internet user-names. Everyone's rigs are sure built up.

When I told my wife Sherry what we were going to be doing she thought that was the craziest thing she'd ever heard of. When we got back from the first garbage run she said it was one of the coolest things she'd ever seen. To see those three HUGE dumptsters full was absolutely amazing. Not only that the offroaders were able to bring that much trash back, but also that there was that much of it laying out in the desert. Was a neat thing to be part of.

The Achy-Breaky is an awesome trail. First time for me, had a few areas of pucker-factor. When you hit the tops of some of the hills all you can see is blue sky; where the hell is the trail??? The rock gardens were definitely fun. I've been riding that desert for the last 8 years by bike and never knew you could climb to the top of that mountain. Awesome indeed. I wish it was about four times as long as it was, we got through it in jig-time.

Kurt's MOG was so cool going thru the obstacles. It's like it hardly knew there were obsticals! That's a very cool rig! Especially that it's about 50 years old.

Thanks for all the hospitality and friendly bantor. Nice group of folks we've got here. We had a super weekend.

Chris & Sherry Brown

Comment

Brown in the Rear!

We had an awesome time this weekend. I could not believe the trash and the amount of people that showed up to pick up the trash! Makes you wonder about some of them folks.

Great ride on Sunday. Thanks for letting us tag along on a great trip. I think Erik and Nicholas had the best night on Saturday with the dueling music of Erik snoring and Nicholas farting all night. One good turn deserves another! Lucky no one lit a match ... we would have been done for.

I love all the pictures! Can't wait to do it again. Maybe next time we can gather around the fire ... unless Brian desides to burn it all. The wind this year has been horrible.

Thanks for the new "handle", Sarah! Not to steal a perfectly good line but ... "I'll Drink to That!"

Sherry

Comment

BITR, you guys did a great job in the rear! Hehe. Nice to finally meet you - see you next time!

Comment

Just so I'm clear...does this clean-up take place EVERY year? If so, what the heck are those people that are leaving all of that trash out there thinking? That's pretty lame when folks have no respect for others and/or the trail like that. Just my :2: Sorry to 'rant' a little!

Anyway, I wish I could have participated...prior commitments with the fam didn't allow it. Great job everyone! :thumbs_up
                        -Bob
                        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

From what I understand, last year was the first year. We found concentrated areas of trash along the major roads like Outlet Center Drive that consisted of cigarette boxes, fast food cups and the like. Isn't it lovely how many people throw their junk out the window?

Around camping areas, we found wrappers, plastic water bottles and other small things that probably just got caught up in the wind. The big stuff comes from the idiots who are too lazy to pay $10 to leave their crap at the dump, so they just toss it in the desert, thinking it will go away.

In my opinion, it's not the people who actually use the land that are making a complete mess of it. But it was great to be a part of such a successful event.

Comment

I bet we could all go out there for weeks in a row and find as much trash as we did this weekend every weekend.
                            Supe
                            97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                            Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I saw a guy throw a cigarette butt out of his window this morning .... after all that work this weekend I just about ran him over!!

Comment

Working...
                              X