Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bear

They had 3" of snow this past storm. With warming trend most of it will be gone.

Comment

stock TJ

I have a stock TJ with 31" Xterrains. I could get a little crazy and disconnect my sway bars if needed, since it sounds like there are some rocks and other tougher obstacles. I have stock tow hooks front and rear but only a hand winch and hi-lift. I haven't done much wheeling in this baby yet, still getting used to wheeling in general.

Is this run a good idea for me? Are there any ways to avoid tough obstacles if I need to? You guys seem to know the trails pretty well. I'd prefer not to get stuck, but if I do I'll definitely need help getting out...

I noticed someone with a stock XJ questioning the run as well. I don't want to get myself into more than myself or the vehicle can handle...???

Thanks in advance, I'll also try to look up the links some of you posted to see what I think.
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep-noob
        i am excited... i would like to get to know the MJR group, but i am not sure this run would be good for a stocker.
        It's going to be a great day for wheeling and for meeting the MJR group; if you don't want to take your stock XJ on the trail, you can leave it at Fawnskin and ride with someone. I plan to go, and I will have an empty seat, if you don't mind riding in a stock TJ.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
          I have a stock TJ with 31" Xterrains. I could get a little crazy and disconnect my sway bars if needed, since it sounds like there are some rocks and other tougher obstacles. I have stock tow hooks front and rear but only a hand winch and hi-lift. I haven't done much wheeling in this baby yet, still getting used to wheeling in general.

Is this run a good idea for me? Are there any ways to avoid tough obstacles if I need to? You guys seem to know the trails pretty well. I'd prefer not to get stuck, but if I do I'll definitely need help getting out...

I noticed someone with a stock XJ questioning the run as well. I don't want to get myself into more than myself or the vehicle can handle...???

Thanks in advance, I'll also try to look up the links some of you posted to see what I think.

Bring it on Stockers can make this run. It will take some spotting in sections, but it shouldnt be that bad. I personally think its a great trail for stock rigs to learn on. Disconnecting is always better, but I will leave that up to you.

Russ - Glad your going to make it!
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
          Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

pics

holcomb creek pics
            i found these online as the link in the MJR forums are bandwidth exceeded. There is a stock ranger making its way through. the snow will hide alot though i imagine. I dont want to come down hard on a rock on the oil pans, in the "rock garden" areas.
            other than that it doesnt look too bad.

I would be the only stocker?
            Thanks for the pics, jeep_noob. If an 85 ranger can make the trail, I'm pretty sure I can make it in my TJ...I hope. Anyone have any recommendations for jeep_noob regarding the trail? I'm a newbie, so I don't want to give out any advice. Looks like body damage is optional but possible...I'm willing to accept the challenge and hope to emerge triumphant.

If I'm free on Saturday I'll try to make it. Look for the silver TJ with a black top. Anyone have an air compressor? I think I may want to air down for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
              Bring it on Stockers can make this run. It will take some spotting in sections, but it shouldnt be that bad. I personally think its a great trail for stock rigs to learn on. Disconnecting is always better, but I will leave that up to you.

Russ - Glad your going to make it!
              Coming from LA will be a pain, so I'll try to leave early. I'll have an extra seat, so anyone that doesn't want to make the run on their own can ride along with me on the trail.

Oh, don't worry, I'll BRING IT ON HUGE . Ready to rock, y'all. See you on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                It's going to be a great day for wheeling and for meeting the MJR group; if you don't want to take your stock XJ on the trail, you can leave it at Fawnskin and ride with someone. I plan to go, and I will have an empty seat, if you don't mind riding in a stock TJ.
                Heres a guy who can wheel! Someone should grab that seat!
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
                  Thanks for the pics, jeep_noob. If an 85 ranger can make the trail, I'm pretty sure I can make it in my TJ...I hope. Anyone have any recommendations for jeep_noob regarding the trail? I'm a newbie, so I don't want to give out any advice. Looks like body damage is optional but possible...I'm willing to accept the challenge and hope to emerge triumphant.

If I'm free on Saturday I'll try to make it. Look for the silver TJ with a black top. Anyone have an air compressor? I think I may want to air down for this one.
                  Body damage is always a possibility. I should have my compressor working again by then. There is a gas station on the other side of the lake that has air. I had to pay my dues there for a while before I put my York in.
                  Supe
                  97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

my transfer case has been giving me trouble and I found out it's kaput. Since it's warranty, I'm at the dealer's mercy. They *might* have it done by the end of day Friday. I may need to grab that seat! Dibs!
                    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                      I am hoping we can get a few runs in. If we have time, maybe Gold Mountain/John Bull or something. We will play it by ear as we finish up the first run.
                      Supe,

Let's hope we don't get stuck or have any breakdowns so we will have time to run some other trails. How about showing us 2n84? It's MJR's adopted trail, and we pass by the trailhead on the way between Fawnskin and Holcomb Creek.
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                        Supe,

Let's hope we don't get stuck or have any breakdowns so we will have time to run some other trails. How about showing us 2n84? It's MJR's adopted trail, and we pass by the trailhead on the way between Fawnskin and Holcomb Creek.
                        Now, dont be saying things like that or they may really happen
                        We can definitely check out the trail, actually I would like to check out the new sign that was put up.
                        Supe

Comment

Originally posted by fmejia69
                          Looks like I talked my brother in law into coming out with us. He has a 01 XJ. Look for the 2 red jeeps.:shout:
                          Wooo hoooo Im off on friday so we will have Three red ones. As for the snow........I know that Holcombs elevation is alot lower than where I am at.....but the know might just be to a trace amount. It has been sunny during the days and cold at night.....so in the shaded areas of the trail, there will be some ice. I really dont think we got enought snow down that way where chains are needed. Seems like we will have some experienced drivers in the group where we can put the stocks in between us and get everyone through and have a great time.

See ya all soon

Comment

Originally posted by FyrmanJJ
                            Wooo hoooo Im off on friday so we will have Three red ones. As for the snow........I know that Holcombs elevation is alot lower than where I am at.....but the know might just be to a trace amount. It has been sunny during the days and cold at night.....so in the shaded areas of the trail, there will be some ice. I really dont think we got enought snow down that way where chains are needed. Seems like we will have some experienced drivers in the group where we can put the stocks in between us and get everyone through and have a great time.

See ya all soon

The run in on Sat Dont show up on Friday or else your jeeping alone
                            My thoughts exactly about sandwhiching the stockers. We will mention that right before the run, if I forget remind me.

Thanks for the snow report
                            Supe

Comment

Originally posted by fmejia69
                              Looks like I talked my brother in law into coming out with us. He has a 01 XJ. Look for the 2 red jeeps.:shout:
                              is it stock?:homer:
                              2000 XJ, 108k miles
                              33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

is it stock?:homer:
                                No.Not sure of exact specs 6" lift with 33 mtr?:wink:
                                Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
                                It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Working...
                                X