• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Mountain Trip Report

Table Mountain Trail Report
    2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
    4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Nice write up. I wish I could write like that, better yet I wish I had time to go play!
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Great write up and nice pics!
      1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
      Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Great write up. Theres another trail which is actually a freight trail from the late 1800's. It was the first San Diego Toll rd coming up the grade. San Diego later bought it and some what improved it. Most of it is really in shambles now.

Heres a early picture 1910

Theres water troughs and old horse corrals of stone if you look closley around the area.

The calvery from Campo actually used the trail it to patrol the border around Calixico during WWII.

You can see the old freight trail when coming up the grade just past the mountain springs exit, It on the right ( blocked off by cal trans though). You can get to it from the Table mountain area.

The trail goes on down Devils Canyon. I hiked it up from the bottom for a while. This canyon was a Highway in the late 1800's to early 1900's. I've talked to the BLM, depending on who you talk to it open its closed. Heres some pictures from the bottom up to about a 1.5 mile:

http://britain.connectnet.com/Photog...yon/index.html

This canyon in is terrific!!

Table mountain is a great area to explore!
        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
        WEB site

Comment

Britain,
          Not sure If you remember me. I did Bronco peak with you and Lukas some months ago when a guy broke his rear axle. That was something i'll never forget. Anyhow, The table mountain/valley of the moon area has a lot to offer for sure. I had seen from aerial photography that it looks to have a road through that canyon. From the pictures, it looks like a dang tuff ride. How long did you follow it for?
          4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
            Britain,
            Not sure If you remember me. I did Bronco peak with you and Lukas some months ago when a guy broke his rear axle. That was something i'll never forget. Anyhow, The table mountain/valley of the moon area has a lot to offer for sure. I had seen from aerial photography that it looks to have a road through that canyon. From the pictures, it looks like a dang tuff ride. How long did you follow it for?
            Sure I remember you. Did you get your highlift jack handle replaced?

I think the canyon is trailable. I wouldnt want to do it without other jeeps with recovery equipment. Interesting stuff in the bottom under the bridges. Anything that can blow off of the vehicles ends up down there.

Ive hiked in from both ends about to the bridges. Which is about 1.5 miles.
            I do have pictures from the top looking down. I get them to you later.

The old trail is broken up. Lots of old signitures carved in the walls from the early 1900's. Heres an old picture after SD bought the toll rd and refurb it.

Some of the grades were reported to be 30deg, hard to amagine those ole cars making it. But look at them! I belive this picture was taken from the back side of table mountain above the mountain springs area. The road curves around in the distance and drops down to the mountain springs area. Must have been opening day eh? Probably took them a day or two to get there.

Gotta go , going over to the EC BLM to discuss the Devils Canyon area.
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Britain,
              No. i still have the same bent handle, and that dude still has my 19mm socket! I'm holding his pictures hostage though. The pciture you have shown is familiar to me. I have been on this stretch of road. This picture faces east. Aournd the bend the road heads south towards mountain springs. From the topo map the road seems to curve back and reconnect to the location where the picture was taken. Ihave to go back there!
              4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
                Britain,
                No. i still have the same bent handle, and that dude still has my 19mm socket! I'm holding his pictures hostage though. The pciture you have shown is familiar to me. I have been on this stretch of road. This picture faces east. Aournd the bend the road heads south towards mountain springs. From the topo map the road seems to curve back and reconnect to the location where the picture was taken. Ihave to go back there!
                I only lost some straps on that run. I think when I'm on bust up stuff runs I'll be more carefull who joins up.

I spent some time in Libary's looking at that trail. Still tring to find an early maps....
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

That bronco's peak trip was definatley some work!!

Lucas
                  Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

Nice write up Stormy, I will put that trip on my list of must does
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Interested.

Hi guys. Just thought I'd chime in on this one because I have some experience in the area as well. I've done several "operations" in co-op with the INS/DEA in that area. I'd love to get in on a run down there if one gets planned out. What rating would you say this would be if it happens? I dont think the valdez could handle anything too extreme right now. But she's been running real good for a while, after a couple of 'test runs' around here locally; I'd like to get out into the world more.
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X