Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Jeep Trail

Running Miller this Sunday 27 Nov. Meet @ Flying J 0900.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

See you there, should have the front brake lines on by then I hope..
    04TJ, 4.0 5spd
    4" rough country springs
    Nth degree arms upper and lower
    1" Currie MML/BL
    Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
    33"BFG MT's
    Lock-rite in the front

Comment

How was the trail?
      92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Same. People keep breaking up the harder parts so they can get through.
        Gets easier but still a nice scenic drive.
        Kirk
        1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Teresa and I where talking about this trail after reading this thread.
          We have never done this trail. We think we need to do it soon.

I think sometime in December we will post up a trip there and see who else wants to do it with us. We would prefer to drive the trail with someone that has done it, and point out the preferred lines through some of the rough stuff.

We have seen the pics of others running this trail, and it looks like a fun all day trip for us. It is only about an hour away from us.

Need pics though from those that did this trip.

Todd & Teresa
          Navy-Jeepster
          Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
          Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy-Jeepster
            ...We think we need to do it soon.

I think sometime in December ...
            Make sure you check to see if its open before you drive down. It closes due to snow in the winter.

Its a nice trail though

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

You'll find "current" info on Miller here"

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/conditions/

I say "current", as they aren't any better at updating their website than we are
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I was thinking the same as Navy-Jeepster if it's still open. Maybe on a Sunday camping on Sat. night (Hungry Valley OHV) to avoid the 90+ minute drive in the morning. It's a good fun trial and I haven't run it this year.
                Back to the thread, any picture's? I would have joined you but I was out of town with the family. Al & Kirk are really good people to wheel with, sorry I missed this one, next time.

B&T TJ

Comment

Trip Report

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                  Back to the thread, any picture's? I would have joined you but I was out of town with the family. Al & Kirk are really good people to wheel with, sorry I missed this one, next time.
                  B&T TJ
                  On Sunday, November 27, 2005 seven Jeeps (6 TJs and 1 XJ) met at the Flying J in Frazier Park and drove about seven miles to the start of the Lockwood/Miller Jeep Trails. This is a photo of the group while we are airing down at the trailhead. From left to right, Kevin (KevinofCamelot) in the khaki Unlimited Rubicon; Mike (RUGD JP) in the silver XJ, Al (igofshn) in the red TJ (behind RuggedJeep), Kirk (CETROV) in the dark green TJ, Grady (Grady) in the red TJ, Ed (AvNative) in the white TJ, and myself in the Khaki TJ:

Originally, the Lockwood Trail ran down the Lockwood Creek streambed, but the vehicles stirred up so much silt that it was impossible for the fish to survive in the creek, so the Forest Service re-routed the trail to follow the ridgeline to the west of the creek.

The trails are rated “black diamond” by the Forest Service, but a stock Jeep can make it through the trails, although it may scrape the skid plate a few times. About a half mile after the start, we got to the rock garden. Since I have a stock Jeep and open diffs, I took the bypass. Al (igofshn) led the rest of the group through the rock garden:

This is Mike (RUGD JP):

This is Ed (AvNative):

Kirk (CETROV):

Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-08-05, 07:27 AM.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

It was a beautiful, clear day, and once we reached the ridgeline, we had a nice view of the Lockwood Valley:

We took a short break at the junction of the Lockwood trail and the Yellowjacket trail. Here are Al’s (igofshn) red TJ, my khaki TJ, Mike’s (RUGD JP) silver XJ, Kevin’s (kevinofcamelot) khaki Unlimited Rubicon, Ed’s (AvNative) white TJ, and Kirk’s (CETROV) green TJ (I don’t know happened, but I missed getting Grady’s red TJ in this shot):

Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-08-05, 07:29 AM.
                    KI6MLU

Comment

The next landmark on the trail is Kabob Hill. Here’s Al (igofshn) at Kabob Hill:

Mike (RUGD JP):

Kevin (kevinofcamelot):

Grady (Grady):

Ed (AvNative):

Kirk (CETROV):

Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-08-05, 07:28 AM.
                      KI6MLU

Comment

We stopped for lunch at Sunset Campground, which is located at the confluence of Lockwood Creek and Piru Creek. It marks the end of the Lockwood trail, and the start of the Miller Jeep Trail. We’ve traveled about nine miles from the trailhead, and have about three more miles to go:

After lunch, we crossed Piru Creek, and began the Miller Jeep Trail:

KI6MLU

Comment

KI6MLU

Comment

Although a few of us got stuck a few times, we worked our way out of it; we never had to get out the tow straps. We finally reached the Alamo campground, signifying the end of the Lockwood/Miller Jeep Trails.

Since there was a few hours of daylight left, we stopped at the Hungry Valley OHV practice area to test our flex:

Here’s Ed (AvNative). He just installed a new lift, and wanted to check it out:

He was joined by Al (igofshn) in the red TJ and Kirk (CETROV) in the green TJ:

That was the end of a day with beautiful weather and wonderful wheeling.
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Sweeeeeet pics
                              92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Working...
                              X