Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trail info

Hello, I am fairly new to jeeps, but I have been trolling here for info for a little while. Anyway me and some friends are ready to go on our second trail run and we are looking for a decent challenge. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 trails. Either gold mountain, John bull, or Holcomb creek. We are looking for something that won't take more than 3-4 hours to run. We are all open diff's 2 of us have 4" lifts w/33" tires and 1 of us is a 05 tj sport completely stock. Thanks for any advice you can give. Thanks
    90 YJ 4.2
    33" and open

Run Gold Mountain "forwards" (hwy to 3N16) first. If you have problems with that, the others are really going to give you grief. John Bull I'd stay off of until you at least have the rear locked. Although there are several running Holcomb with similar rigs (tire and lift), it's currently even unfriendlier to unlocked rigs. Might suggest Jacoby as a trail after Gold mountain (3N61), then Horsethief (3N03A) if you still have time - assuming you don't mind some off-camber sections.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

That sounds like a plan. Doesn't Jacoby canyon end up down in Apple Valley? How long would you estimate it would take to finish Gold Mtn and Jacoby if we wanted to end up in Apple Valley not Big Bear? Also can you recommend a good map of these trails? Thanks again
      90 YJ 4.2
      33" and open

Comment

if you want a good map of these, stop by the discovery center, they have 2 topos that have both trails and the entire SBNF.
        Jacoby ends on the hwy out of BB to AP
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Jacoby will take you back to Hwy 18, if you make a left ("west" - you'll wind up in Lucerne. Can't say how long it will take to Apple Valley - but typically Gold Mountain/Jacoby can be done in 2-3 hours, including air down/air up times.

You can never have too many maps! Recommended: USFS map (usually available at Discovery Center or BB Ranger station, Sidekick map of Big Bear. Both of these will show our FS road numbers (Gold Mountain is 3N69, Jacoby is 3N61). Search this BBS for a post under my username if you are curious how the numbering works. Several good books - I'll have to look in the Jeep and give you the names though.

One point on Gold Mountain - given the rig mix you described, I'd _not_ take 3N69A through the shale garden, it's a bit tough right now. If you do - please observe proper trail courtesy and UN stack any rocks you need to place - West Coast 4 Wheel Drive Club put a lot of effort into making 69A what it is. Of course, this is common courtesy on _any_ trail.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Thanks again for all the expert info. I will probably take the bypass for the shale garden. Not sure the tires are up to it. Thanks Ben
            90 YJ 4.2
            33" and open

Comment

Ben - Want to head out to some Apple Valley trails this Saturday?
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I would love to but I am not sure if I will be ready yet. I plan on doing some repairs to the jeep on Sat at my brothers out in Apple Valley then we were going to test the repairs out at Deep Creek (if time and Wife permits). Maybe next time. Were do you guys go in that area?
                90 YJ 4.2
                33" and open

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                  Thanks again for all the expert info. I will probably take the bypass for the shale garden. Not sure the tires are up to it. Thanks Ben
                  No problem - that's what my humongous USFS salary is paying for
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                    I would love to but I am not sure if I will be ready yet. I plan on doing some repairs to the jeep on Sat at my brothers out in Apple Valley then we were going to test the repairs out at Deep Creek (if time and Wife permits). Maybe next time. Were do you guys go in that area?
                    Fairview Valley, off of Johnson Road. Kind of on the north side of town, not too far away. The trails are short and anywhere from easy to extreme. There's a dry lake out there too.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Holcomb creek

Well finally got up to Big Bear this weekend. We decided to do holcomb trail (despite everyones advice). It actually was a very cool trail and was everything we were looking for. We were a little worried when we got to the first rock garden, but with some careful spotting we made it fairly easy. Never even had to pull the two strap, which surprised me. Although in the last rock garden I tried to take a little harder line to the left (though the two big rocks) got high centered on my stupid t-case w/the 1" drop. Other than that a very nice trail. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info I have gotten on this site. Thanks
                      (sorry no pics)
                      90 YJ 4.2
                      33" and open

Comment

Working...
                      X