Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cjdirtbiker,

My wife and I may be camping at Troy Meadows this Labor Day weekend and wheeling to Monache Meadows and Sherman Peak. We use Troy because it's in the right direction towards Sherman pass.
    Looks like you are heading up Friday, we might not get there untill Saturday due to work. where's about's you planing on being?

Comment

Cj, You gonna make KM?? If so, if you dont mind if i join, i can be up there sunday am..
      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
      4" rough country springs
      Nth degree arms upper and lower
      1" Currie MML/BL
      Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
      33"BFG MT's
      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

KM for the Holiday is definitely a go!

RobertF, avnative:

We have confirmed 4 or 5 other parties that are joining us for this trip. We discussed Oso Meadows for camping but due to the size of the group expected it looks like we'll pick a spot in Troy Overflow to accomodate everyone and to make it easy for everyone to find the group. We'll put a plate out with MJR and So-Cal (my other group). So yes, come on in and join us. We pick one of the group camps near the back of the area. Our favorite one has the old cabin foundation with the fireplace in the corner. We use the slab for a patio! Anyway, I'll have to post a pic of our rig so you can find us, and a description of a couple of the other rigs. Check my gallery for pics of my jeep.

We are planning the same destinations, just not sure which ones on which day. We can adjust based on when you guys get there. Avnative, if you have a preferrence for your wheeling day on Sunday let us know. The other people in our group are riding bikes, so we'll see them sporadically on the trail. They'll usually come by on their loop for a picnic lunch when we go out to Monache, and they love going up to Sherman Peak. Sherman Pass trail is a hoot! I've done it on bikes, but not in the jeep yet.

We should try and do Monache on Saturday so if you come later in the morning you can just come on out there. We go way out north to the campground that's across the Kern and hike back into Golden Trout to fish for the same. If you come early enough we can drive out together.

Either of you call me if you want to discuss details: 714-403-4929

Looking forward to seeing you both there.

Comment

hey av

do you have tickets for the race?? if you do call me call me any way
          2004 TJ stock
          photo of me an my baby

jeep girl do it better!!
          wanted good man taking apps inquir with in

Comment

RobertF, Avnative: pics of RV to look for...

Hey guys,
            We're pulling out about 1pm tomorrow. When you guys come up look for us in Troy Overflow. Here' a pic of our motorhome, my jeep pics are in my gallery:

One of my buddies has a late chevy dually four door, red, 4x2.

CB channel 4
            FSR radios: 5/0

If for some reason it's full there we will leave a note on the reader board at the entrance of where we are.

Robert, let me know who I should be looking for. You'll be there on Saturday????

I'll put out a paper plate with MJR.

See 'ya there,
            Chris

Comment

chris, I should be up there about 8 am sunday morning, I will be coming up through Isabella so will hit the ranger station before troy meadows, I will be on channel 4, and my license plate is my name here.. Pic of my jeep is in the gallery... See you sunday!
              04TJ, 4.0 5spd
              4" rough country springs
              1" Currie MML/BL
              33"BFG MT's
              Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Chris,
                Wife hasn't got her schedule finalized yet, everyone taking off early leaving her over worked.
                Hope to be there before all the campings filled up.
                Driving an old grey Cheeroke, lift and locked, channel 4.
                Sounds like you'll be in Monache Saturday, fishing up stream from the far camp with the only potty?
                Last time this year (it's been awhile) I tried Sherman Peak, snow turned me back!
                Avnative, my favorite way to get to Troy Meadows if I'm going through Isabella, is to stay on the 178 past the lake, like your going to Walker Pass, and two miles past the South Fork Fire Station, take Chimney Peak road (dirt, 14 miles) north to Kennedy Meadows road, you're now 11 miles up from the 395. Saves you the steep and winding Sherman Pass or 9 Mile Canyon, and dirts always more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF
                  Chris,
                  Wife hasn't got her schedule finalized yet, everyone taking off early leaving her over worked.
                  Sounds like you'll be in Monache Saturday, fishing up stream from the far camp with the only potty?
                  Last time this year (it's been awhile) I tried Sherman Peak, snow turned me back!
                  Avnative, my favorite way to get to Troy Meadows if I'm going through Isabella, is to stay on the 178 past the lake, like your going to Walker Pass, and two miles past the South Fork Fire Station, take Chimney Peak road (dirt, 14 miles) north to Kennedy Meadows road, you're now 11 miles up from the 395. Saves you the steep and winding Sherman Pass or 9 Mile Canyon, and dirts always more fun!
                  Thanks for that robert, I was thinking about taking the paved road thru johnsondale area and going in that way, on the map it looks like it paved all the way... But i will check out your way.. See Y'all sunday am..
                  04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                  4" rough country springs
                  1" Currie MML/BL
                  33"BFG MT's
                  Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF
                    Chris,
                    We are hoping to be there in time (and in daylight) to get a good spot this afternoon. The bikers fill the place up on the holidays. No worries, they quit riding at dusk and sleep in in the morning

We'll have plenty of room and a group of real nice folks, so just come on in and setup with us. Bring firewood if you can.

Saturday is the target day for Monache. And yes, the plan is to go way out north to the end of the trail, park at the end of the campground out there and hike in along the Kern for some quality flyfishing. Geez, a stop at Bob Marriotts for a half dozen flies and two fishing licenses was $86, YIKES! Anyway, we'll hook up with you one way or another. I was looking a the USGS Forest Service map last night and there's another road marked 4x4 that goes up along the other side of the creek and ends at one of it's tributaries. I want to check that out too. In fact, hope to do some exploring up there, got a great map of all the trails and roads.

Your route up to the Kern Plateau sounds great. I figured you could get in that way, just never figured out where all the roads go. In fact, there's some good exploring south of Sherman Peak in the Cannell meadows area that's probably worth exploring. Maybe we can do that on Sunday with Ed.

A couple of our parties have canceled, one has a blown motor in his bike, another a pinched nerve in his neck (damn bikers ) but we'll still have 5 or 6 in the group.

Weather forecast is for sunny skies, days high 60's to low 70's, nights high 30's to mid 40's. Bring your down bags!

See y'all there,
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X